No announcement yet.

Pex plumbing leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebcorellc Recent builds are using a braided hose that is primarily white with a faint red/blue color. Earlier builds had bright red/blue hose. There is a “theory” that the newer hose is a better fit to the Pex fittings . . . not proven/verified.

TedS I made exactly this suggestion, many years ago . . . and, we can see how far that went. They use plastic fittings. This would be as simple as a molded part with a Pex end and a hose barb end. Many have searched for such a fitting, but it does not exist.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by rebcorellc View Post
      Cate&Rob Thanks Rob! It seems like RVIA needs to revisit their codes.....I hope they don't simply mirror the lowest common money/time-saving practices of their member manufacturers. I'm hoping the '24 models reflect some correction to this problem - though so far I haven't found any information that would suggest this.
      My '24 Solitude is due at the end of the month. I'll be doing a very thorough inspection and documenting my findings.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        You would think with the rv industry purchase power it could get a pex straight rib barb to conical hose barb fitting made by a fitting manufacturer. It seems the volume would make the manufacture of the fitting attractive. It's just lathe or screw machine work.
        I think you are referring to a "SWISS" machine where it just cranks out multitudes of parts from bar stock on multiple heads, with each step being part of the process.

The theory is GREAT, HOWEVER, implementation is not so great. Imagine the 2.1 seconds it takes to look at a fitting to determine the orientation to install, place said fitting in proper orientation then band clamp it. Way too much thought and time to make a simple connection between 2 different hose types.

With what campers are costing now, I would much prefer they just add the PEX valve and then use a connector hose like home plumbing is done. Valve with escutcheon hiding the hole = professional elegant look. The connector hose does not even need to be stainless braided, simple white plastic is acceptable.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

The alternative to a hard connection would be to make something like a pipe union to transition pex to hose. Terminate the pex with a pex-to-male pipe and terminate the hose with a hose barb-to-female pipe swivel with a seal. Screw the swivel to the pipe and be reasonably sure of a leak-free connection.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

What TedS describes is essentially what I did before I converted to all Pex. See the attachment to post 6 on this thread. It is important to use a hose clamp on the hose . . . not a Pex clamp. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...k-under-camper

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob while what you say is true, my intent was to suggest an alternative for the industry to connect pex to hose in the assembly process. It could help make subsequent repairing the plumbing easier.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
              X