Clearsource vs Blu Tech Water Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearsource vs Blu Tech Water Filters

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos comparing the Blu Tech with the Clearsource water filter systems. I'm curious if anyone here has first-hand experience with either (or both) of the systems, or if you're using something different.

A brief explanation of why you chose your filter will help.

FYI we use a Berkey for our drinking water, but I'm looking to improve the water quality for washing dishes, showers, washing hands, etc. Currently there's a simple inline CAMCO filter.

Howard

P.S. Yoda -- if you see a deal on either or both of these systems let me know! You seem to be quite the wizard to finding good prices on stuff.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Are you looking for a filter system that will make any water safe ie lake water because you are boondocking? Or taking already potable water and making it better. Getting rid of chlorine etc?
    Cate&Rob did this which I believe is for already potable water

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ter-filtration
    To make it a whole trailer system you would have to buy the 3/4" version and locate it in the basement.

I'm going to install one of these in the spring I think. It will filter river water etc as I frequently camp by lakes and 'rustic' cg's with no water certification.
    https://rainfresh.ca/product/water-f...er-canada-ucs2
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Hi Howard,

We have been really pleased with our iSpring 3 filter system, but it is sized for a single drinking water faucet. See my thread linked by Scott'n'Wendy for info on their whole house system. This system is for water already deemed “potable”.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        Or taking already potable water and making it better.
        Yes, already potable water and making it better. The Berkey covers our drinking water, but I'd like the rest of the trailer's water filtered of suspect contaminants, too, for a multitude of reasons I won't bore you listing.

Thanks for the link to Rob's thread -- hadn't considered the iSpring. Good: available at Lowes. Bad: Big -- seems targeted to home users, not RV'ers. (Rob's got a 5th wheel with lots of room so it's easier to accommodate the larger filter setup). That's also the reason I'm hesitating on the ClearSource option.

Thus I'm leaning to purchasing the smaller Blu Tech setup at the moment. I also like the stainless steel filter cartridge containers.

First thought is to mount the Blu Tech in the front closet, behind and above the washing machine (in my 315RLTS). I'd run pex from the City Water intake up to the filter and install a bypass (at the filter setup) like Chad from Changing Lanes did with his ClearSource setup. (Allows for filter change and/or maintenance without turning off all water to the camper.) Output of the filter will go down to where the original city water connection runs into the Nautilus panel.

It's all just a "want to" in my head at the moment--time is the challenge as there's a LOT on my plate at the moment, but if there's a decent Black Friday sale I may get a setup for install at sometime this winter.

Thanks again for the link (and thanks, Cate&Rob , for the thread which I've now read again).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

WRT installing a filter system bypass . . . I don’t think I would do that. Why would you want unfiltered water in your downstream system for the brief time that it takes to change filters?

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            WRT installing a filter system bypass . . . I don’t think I would do that. Why would you want unfiltered water in your downstream system for the brief time that it takes to change filters?

Rob
            Same reason a bypass is installed in a water heater -- provides a maintenance option should something go wrong. It will be a simple add-on. See Chad's video if there's interest. Start at about the 4:35 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDh30pgTFAE

Howard

P.S. Could this be an "engineer vs maintainer" debate? I could go on for days listing the parts aircraft engineers claimed wouldn't need ready access...that took endless hours to replace in miserable conditions on the flightline.

Comment

One other consideration would be filter cost. Look at the options for replacements. Some manufacturers give you a decent price on the equipment setup, then drain your wallet with ridiculous consumable costs. Think inkjet printers...lol
              Looking online there are various aftermarket manufacturers of filters. Look for a setup that has options for replacements. Not just the oem. My 2 cents.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                One other consideration would be filter cost. Look at the options for replacements. Some manufacturers give you a decent price on the equipment setup, then drain your wallet with ridiculous consumable costs. Think inkjet printers...lol
                Looking online there are various aftermarket manufacturers of filters. Look for a setup that has options for replacements. Not just the oem. My 2 cents.
                Will do! I hadn't considered filter cost--thanks. Kind of liking buying a car without checking to see how much it will cost to insure. Always a good idea to go in with "eyes wide open".

When (if!) I pull the trigger I'll update this thread with the "what" and "why".

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos comparing the Blu Tech with the Clearsource water filter systems. I'm curious if anyone here has first-hand experience with either (or both) of the systems, or if you're using something different.

A brief explanation of why you chose your filter will help.

FYI we use a Berkey for our drinking water, but I'm looking to improve the water quality for washing dishes, showers, washing hands, etc. Currently there's a simple inline CAMCO filter.

Howard

P.S. Yoda -- if you see a deal on either or both of these systems let me know! You seem to be quite the wizard to finding good prices on stuff.
                  Keep an eye out here https://technorv.com/collections/clearsource
                  On edit
                  https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=water+filtration They are doing a sale now that changes daily - They also do price match so if you find a sale at a site your wondering about, contact them with the information and see if they will match. They have always honored my requests.
                  Last edited by Yoda; 11-13-2023, 01:27 PM.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                  X