Water Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filtration

As some will recall from my previous posts, we do not consume the water from our RV plumbing system. Lugging around all the bottled water is getting rather tedious, so we are going to try "triple filtration" of our tank water (or from selected campgrounds). This is the same filtration system that goes with Reverse Osmosis . . . just short of that last step which wastes a lot of water. I have recently installed this same system on my son's apartment water supply, with good results.

Winterization is obviously a consideration, so I built the filtration system into a slide tray that latches under a rear bar and is secured with three screws. The water inlet and outlet go through 1/4" (pressure washer) quick connect fittings. Thus, the entire filtration system can be removed and brought indoors if there is risk of freezing temperatures. I did reinforce the top plate of the filtration system with wooden blocks since I thought it had too much "bounce" for an RV installation.

I brought the faucet up through an existing hole in the countertop under the main faucet plate and through this replaceable piece. If this filtration plan does not work out, I won't have an unneeded hole in the countertop to deal with.

We do use one of the blue carbon filters on our city water hose connection for all water. This extra filtration will be for drinking water only.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2560.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	97310 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	97311
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-16-2022, 11:24 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    As some will recall from my previous posts, we do not consume the water from our RV plumbing system. Lugging around all the bottled water is getting rather tedious, so we are going to try "triple filtration" of our tank water (or from selected campgrounds). This is the same filtration system that goes with Reverse Osmosis . . . just short of that last step which wastes a lot of water. I have recently installed this same system on my son's apartment water supply, with good results.

Winterization is obviously a consideration, so I built the filtration system into a slide tray that latches under a rear bar and is secured with three screws. The water inlet and outlet go through 1/4" (pressure washer) quick connect fittings. Thus, the entire filtration system can be removed and brought indoors if there is risk of freezing temperatures. I did reinforce the top plate of the filtration system with wooden blocks since I thought it had too much "bounce" for an RV installation.

I brought the faucet up through an existing hole in the countertop under the main faucet plate and through this replaceable piece. If this filtration plan does not work out, I won't have an unneeded hole in the countertop to deal with.

We do use one of the blue carbon filters on our city water hose connection for all water. This extra filtration will be for drinking water only.

Rob

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2560.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	97310 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	97311
    I installed a Rainfresh system into our previous 297RSTS and as well into the current 378MBS. As you say it sure beats lugging water. All seems to work great for us and I am sure you will not miss carrying water into the trailer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

No discussion on this topic . . . FWIW . , . this filtration system works really well. A month into our Florida location where we have used only bottled water for years . . . and, we can’t tell the difference between park water through this filtration system and bottled water.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

No discussion on this topic . . . FWIW . , . this filtration system works really well. A month into our Florida location where we have used only bottled water for years . . . and, we can’t tell the difference between park water through this filtration system and bottled water.

Rob
        Hi Rob,

We have found the same thing with our Rainfresh system too. I used to fill up a 20 L bottle of water at home to take camping. We have a Rainfresh system at home too. I got tired of lugging it around and then refilling somewhere when we ran out so put a Rainfresh into our 297 and now into our 378MBS. Water is now great to drink no matter where we are and no more lugging water jugs or finding a place to refill. One of the best things I have done.

another Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Is there a data sheet in the filtration capability of this unit? We bring RO water from home from a NorthStar system but when trips eventually become longer than one week we will need to look into a cartridge filtration system as well. The model below is expensive but will filter heavy metals as an example but its huge. Without testing the raw water, it becomes difficult to know exactly which filter is needed since the filter may not be optimized. But something is better than nothing. The point being to buy a filter with fine filtration. Most inexpensive single cartridge systems will not be so good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFMTYBM...%2B%2B%2B&th=1

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Guest Hi Jim,

We chose the iSpring three filter system. This is the same filtration that they use with their RO system. We didn’t go RO because of the excessive water usage. See https://www.123filter.com/ac/ for their filtration specs. The only way to really “know” what filtration you need would be with a supply water test. All I can say is that the water at our Florida location is tested and declared “safe” by the municipality. It still has objectionable taste and odour (to us . . . although many here drink it as-is). This filtration removes the taste and odour.

I have no doubt that the Rainfresh system mentioned by Calbar Rob would do the same thing.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

Does this water pass the "doggy" test?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob

Looking at this system it states "filters 2000 gallons", would this be able to be plumbed into the whole water system in the RV? What are the connection sizes on the filters?

I am thinking this may be the one to install behind the Nautilus panel, I would guess that we do not use 2000 gallons a year.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Rob,

Does this water pass the "doggy" test?

Brian
                  Yes . . . the dogs will drink the water after filtration . . . the ultimate quality test . (They won’t drink pre-filtration water until after it has sat in their bowl for a while . . . I guess it loses the smell ?)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob

Looking at this system it states "filters 2000 gallons", would this be able to be plumbed into the whole water system in the RV? What are the connection sizes on the filters?

I am thinking this may be the one to install behind the Nautilus panel, I would guess that we do not use 2000 gallons a year.

Brian
                    I thought about a “whole trailer” installation, but the in/out lines are only 1/4”. There is probably a version with 1/2” connections.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I thought about a “whole trailer” installation, but the in/out lines are only 1/4”. There is probably a version with 1/2” connections.

Rob
                      Can the 1/4" fittings be replaced with?

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

Whole house system from the same supplier. https://www.123filter.com/ac/big-blu...tlet-wcb32_539 3/4” inlet and outlet.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Can the 1/4" fittings be replaced with?

Brian
                          Passages within the “drinking water tap” filtration system that we have . . . are only about 1/4”, so adapter inlet/outlet fittings wouldn’t help.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Country Campers

Whole house system from the same supplier. https://www.123filter.com/ac/big-blu...tlet-wcb32_539 3/4” inlet and outlet.

Rob
                            Those are 20" filters, not sure where I could fit that behind the Nautilus panel. The shorter unit will be much easier to fit in my confined space.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

It would be interesting to know how much water could be pushed through the smaller system without too much pressure drop. I know there are valves and fittings throughout my trailer water system with 1/4” ID . . . and, this does not seem to cause a problem.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X