Avoid frozen water lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid frozen water lines?

We are scheduled to get gusty winds and single digit temps for a couple days and would like to avoid water line freezing if at all possible. From a quick search of YT most "influencers' have used foam board and foil tape to affix them around the perimeter. I didn't want to pay the premium for the foam board and don't want to toss them once warmer temps come.

I purchased 4 mil plastic sheeting from my small box store, its 10 ft wide so we doubled it over and affixed it to the RV with waterproof foil tape. Folded the slack under the RV and put 4x4 on it. Also put several bags full of leaves around the inner perimeter.

We have lots of propane to run the furnace and plan to fill the fresh tank and use water from it. Also have a digital thermometer to monitor underbelly temps. Click image for larger version

Name:	Skirting.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	126937 Is there anything else that you would recommend?
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

One caution on the bags of leaves, any moisture and they could spontaneously combust. Heated water hose or properly installed heat tape on all exposed fresh water plumbing could also help.
    2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Cover / protect the low point drains.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Stating the obvious, make sure your furnace runs anytime temperatures get down to freezing or below. Maybe not so obvious, I suspect more weight than 2x4s will be needed to hold down the plastic; bricks, blocks, rocks, gallon jugs of water, or even staking the 2x4s into the ground will help.

Also, the tape along the top may not hold if the gusts are strong enough. May want to add some additional tape and maybe even some vertical 2x4s behind the plastic to reduce the "sail" area. The reason foam board is popular is that it is rigid, so that wind gusts pushes it against the side of the trailer and whatever is being used as a bottom anchor. With plastic film, the wind causes the film to bow which results in the film pulling down and away from the trailer at the top and lifting up on the anchor at the bottom.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Looks good. Hope it works well for you.

Don't think you will have to worry about spontaneous combustion.......... But, it would solve the under belly heat problem...lol (sarcasm off)
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have implemented as many as we are able in short notice. Also I placed a brooder light under the RV in front of the spare tire to hopefully prevent the kitchen lines from freezing. I will only turn it on if temperature sensor in the underbelly reads under 35F.
            2020 Reflection 31MB
            2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

I have seen theses used to cover the low point drains, and the fresh water tank valve (white one)
              https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Bran...ctedSellerId=0
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X