Furrion On Demand Water Heater Anti Freeze Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion On Demand Water Heater Anti Freeze Protection

I have a 2021 RLS 303 with Furrion On Demand Water Heater with Anti-freeze protection. What does the anti-freeze protection do? This past winter while traveling to south Texas, we encountered below freezing temps. Had the power on to the heater but never heard anything running except when there was a call for hot water. This is my second heater because the first one leaked after our first winter of 2020-2021.
    Can someone please explain the anti-freeze protection?
    Thanks
    Jim & Dot
    Richfield, WI.
    2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
    2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Hi Jim-Dot When Furrion first introduced this water heater a few years ago, it had no freeze protection at all. The owner's manual specifically stated that if the temp was expected to drop below 39°F, the unit needed to be winterized with antifreeze.

The first winter, there were many of these water heaters that were ruptured due to freezing. Grand Design replaced many of them, and strongly encouraged Furrion to change the design to prevent freezing. Unfortunately, I don't know when the changes were implemented. But there was supposedly a change to the circuit card that allowed the water heater to ignite on a set cycle to prevent freeze up.

A few months ago, we purchased a new Solitude that came equipped with the new water heater. I am not sure exactly how it works, but I've noticed that when the temp is below 50°F, the water heater seems to ignite about every 15 minutes and runs for about 30 seconds.

A few weeks ago, it was around 50 degrees. I was washing the RV, and heard it cycle on. It ran for about 30 seconds. I caught the last 15 seconds on video which I'm attaching below so you can see what it sounds like. I noticed in the video that there is a flapper on the exhaust. I'll need to monitor that to make sure it operates freely.

If you're not hearing this cycling when it's cold out, I'm wondering if you have the new design circuit which performs this function?

https://youtube.com/shorts/HChwWXaiVMY?feature=share

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Dot View Post
      I have a 2021 RLS 303 with Furrion On Demand Water Heater with Anti-freeze protection. What does the anti-freeze protection do? This past winter while traveling to south Texas, we encountered below freezing temps. Had the power on to the heater but never heard anything running except when there was a call for hot water. This is my second heater because the first one leaked after our first winter of 2020-2021.
      Can someone please explain the anti-freeze protection?
      Thanks
      My 2022 Reflection 303 RLS did NOT come with the freeze protection motherboard but I swapped it out last year. Mine now behaves the same as Jim mentioned his Solitude does. If the temps fall below a certain point, and I have the power and propane enabled to the camper, it will cycle, light the burner and run for a short period. The motherboard was super easy to replace if yours is the old style.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Thanks TucsonJIM & COReflection.
        Gran Design replaced my heater on warranty during the first winter I had it because of a rupture. The new one came in a box labeled Antifreeze Protected so I assume that's what I have now. So far in colder temps when I flush the toilet the display lights up showing the set temp, etc. But, I have not heard the heater run except when taking a shower. I hope it's set up correctly and maybe I just missed the short run cycle. Will have to pay closer attention the next time we get cold temps down here in South Texas.
        Jim & Dot
        Richfield, WI.
        2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
        2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Comment

Jim-Dot - That short heating cycle is very quiet. I never heard it from inside. I only heard it because I was washing the RV on that side. If it were me, some cool morning, I'd grab a hot cup of coffee and sit on that side of the RV for 20-30 minutes.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

My 2022 Reflection 303 RLS did NOT come with the freeze protection motherboard but I swapped it out last year. Mine now behaves the same as Jim mentioned his Solitude does. If the temps fall below a certain point, and I have the power and propane enabled to the camper, it will cycle, light the burner and run for a short period. The motherboard was super easy to replace if yours is the old style.
            Is there a way to tell if the motherboard is the old style or new?
            Jerry & Debbie Johnson
            2023 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry J View Post

Is there a way to tell if the motherboard is the old style or new?
              The best we have seen is to compare the boards. Jim has a post in this thread with photos of the boards:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Exactly what I needed. Thanks Neil!
                Jerry & Debbie Johnson
                2023 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins

Comment

If you have the option it will be in your furrion tankless water heater manual. I’m pretty sure this is new , maybe 2023 . You can call furrion with your model number and they will tell you if you have the option. I have it . And I can hear it click on real early in the morning once or twice . It runs for about 10 seconds roughly

Comment

Working...
                  X