No announcement yet.

Furrion tankless water heater retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SATA Adventures -- concur with Brian that it's a great write-up but could use larger pictures. If you email the originals to GDRVModerators@gmail.com one of us can update your posts.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

SATA Adventures

Thank you for sharing this project with us! I've been undecided on what to do with my Furrion TWH. I plan to drive my rig through Midwestern winters as soon as a couple months from now and have been unsure how I should go about the well documented issues with the TWH I have. Ideally I think I want to do this retro fit but haven't had the time to tackle it myself yet. I'm thrilled to see someone else jump in and post the progress here. I probably won't be far behind you, but making good use of the info you have shared. Cheers!

Oh, also regarding use at elevation. I just got back from a trip to Colorado and New Mexico. I can speak to the version 1.0 Furrion TWH working just fine at decent elevations. We stayed in Estes Park for a week (7500'), a couple nights on the side of Blanca Peak (9000'), and a week in Albuquerque (5300'). We had zero problems with operation of our TWH.
      David and Deana
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
      2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post
        A question I still do not know is when is this active and how it really operates. Does the control panel in the bathroom need to be on? or will it fire up when that is off and the unit is turned on at the water heater? They say it kicks on at 38degrees and heats water to ~58degrees then turns off. I have not been able to test that and probably won't now this year. Probably going to have to wait till spring. Might use it with guests at Christmas time and if I do will report back when I have experienced it cycle.

Let me know if you have any questions.
        I just called and spoke with a tech who confirmed that the propane and electric needs to be fully turned on for it to operate. When I had the follow up question asking if both the external power switch and the internal control panel needed to be turned on, I got a bit of attitude but she did confirm that both needed to be on or it would not work. I had to laugh because she clarified my question as "you mean does the unit need to be turned on in order to work?" Yeah, that felt great. lol

Anyways, I now have one of these boards on order and hopefully this prevents the experience of a broken TWH or the need to upgrade. Fingers crossed!
        David and Deana
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
        2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

​I received the board today. When speaking with a tech at Furrion/Lippert they told me is was an easy job just a couple of screws. Well, it was a bit more involved but I was able to accomplish the removal and install in about 15 mins. I will document the process I used.

1 - unwrapped the unit, came in a sturdy box with a good bubble wrap inside of a plastic bag. I felt it was pretty secured shipping.

​​

2 - disconnected battery just in case from the trailer, removed shore power
          3 - opened up the water heater from the outside.
          4 - There are 4 ​screws that need to be removed from the existing board, 2 top and 2 bottom. ​ Also 1 ground screw (yellow w green strip wire).

From here I made the decision that I was gong to remove the cap off the old control box and see if I could remove the existing harnesses. This is with 4 tabs on the box lid. You can also see in the pic where I circled a twist type kind of wire holding the power cords. You can see all kinds of wires going into the water heater on the right side of the box. This is what 'encouraged' me to see if harnesses could be removed vs. having to break deeper into the water heater. That may have been a show stopper for me.

Next post with more steps. ​
          I think I was able to put larger pics in the write up. Let me know if that did not work.
          Last edited by SATA Adventures; 10-28-2022, 09:32 PM.
          SATA Adventurers
          Steve and Tina
          2021 Reflection 337RLS
          2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Warranty Covered Retrofit of On Demand Water Heater.

I just returned from the dealer after they installed the retrofit, under warranty, on the Furrion water heater. After seeing people above paying for retrofit I thought I would explained what I did.

Took delivery of 303 RLS in June of 2021 from a dealer in Wisconsin. I didn't even know the unit had the Furrion WH. It was never discussed when we ordered it 2 months earlier.

Use it that summer and fall. Winterized it according to owner's manual, nothing mentioned about the OD WH.

In December left for Texas in 12 deg. temp. Our first night stopped in SW Missouri with 55 deg. Began to flush out antifreeze and found WH leaking. Fortunately Grand Design sent me replacement while in Texas which I installed myself.

This past summer I heard about the retrofit on this forum. Contacted the dealer (which was bought out by large chain of dealers) where I purchased it. Explained the problem and the news about the retrofit even giving them the new part number. The dealer said they would contact the warranty department. A couple weeks later, I was contacted by the dealer saying it was covered and part was ordered. It arrived about two weeks ago and today it was installed.

Because of the winter weather I haven't been able to try it, but the dealer said it worked perfectly.

Just wrote this note to advise people to check with their dealer to see if Lippert/Furrion will cover under warranty. Good Luck!!
            Jim & Dot
            Richfield, WI.
            2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
            2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Comment

I do see a couple of changes between the new and the old boards. These might be routine changes, or they could be related to the modified circuitry. It looks like they deleted one diode on the right side of the capacitor and added two diodes to the left side of the same cap. I highlighted these in blue...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	99797
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Great observation TucsonJim.

So here is a further interesting story. I didn’t get to try the wh out on an adventure before I put the rig away for the winter. Rig all winterized w pink run through all lines, batteries removed, propane turned off, disconnect key removed (however I do have shore power connected in case I want to turn a heater on just in case on long cold days) and 5r all covered. I was near the rv outside and heard a fan…got wondering and sure enough I had not turned the wh off on the wh itself outside. Wow… had propane been turned on that could have been a real problem w cover over the exhaust and all. TBH I am not sure if it is off on the inside, have not reverified, but I was sure I shut it off. Lesson learned.
                SATA Adventurers
                Steve and Tina
                2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Great observation TucsonJim.

So here is a further interesting story. I didn’t get to try the wh out on an adventure before I put the rig away for the winter. Rig all winterized w pink run through all lines, batteries removed, propane turned off, disconnect key removed (however I do have shore power connected in case I want to turn a heater on just in case on long cold days) and 5r all covered. I was near the rv outside and heard a fan…got wondering and sure enough I had not turned the wh off on the wh itself outside. Wow… had propane been turned on that could have been a real problem w cover over the exhaust and all. TBH I am not sure if it is off on the inside, have not reverified, but I was sure I shut it off. Lesson learned.
                  Yes sir. That could have got real interesting. But for 15 minutes or so, you wouldn't have had to worry about anything freezing in the RV
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

SATA Adventures, on the serious side, that the WH fan was operating with the batteries removed means that your convertor is still energized and still providing 12-volt power to the trailer. No personal experience but others on the forum have stated that running the convertor without batteries is not a good idea. You might want to consider flipping the breaker for the convertor off.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Looking at the board, there is 3 pin connector vs a 4 pin connector next to the black choke. Also the black choke is closer to the capacitor and the associated circuitry between the choke and the side appears to have been moved toward the center. Around the rectangular and square chips it looks like (hard to tell) but some of the resistors and such have changed in orientation and quantity.

Hard to tell, but I would guess the added a temperature probe to the board to help with determining temps.

Are all of the older units eligible for the retrofit? If so, did you call Furrion or the dealer to get the process started?
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Are all of the older units eligible for the retrofit? If so, did you call Furrion or the dealer to get the process started?
                        We purchased a 2023 303RLS (delivered in July) and Retrofit from what I understand is paying the $100+ for the board and replacing it in the water heater. Our unit heads to the dealer soon for some warranty work and I plan to replace the board after it gets back since it's going to be winterized this weekend and the season done for a few months.

Also, looking at the picture of the outside of the control box, what the heck is a 'WARING" diagram.
                        Last edited by RRCampers; 11-22-2022, 08:36 PM.
                        Paul & Angela
                        2023 Reflection 303RLS
                        2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 6.6L Duramax
                        B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by RRCampers View Post

We purchased a 2023 303RLS (delivered in July) and Retrofit from what I understand is paying the $100+ for the board and replacing it in the water heater. Our unit heads to the dealer soon for some warranty work and I plan to replace the board after it gets back since it's going to be winterized this weekend and the season done for a few months.

Also, looking at the picture of the outside of the control box, what the heck is a 'WARING" diagram.
                          Having a 2023 model year you may want to make sure that you do not have the new version before ordering a new board, I am not sure when the new version came into the assembly lines. Also worth noting that although the new version is used for "colder weather" camping it will not do anything unless the propane is on as well as battery or shore power.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by RRCampers View Post

Brian is exactly right. Also if you're winterizing and will not be using it until it warms up it does you no good, it's more for if you'll be traveling through freezing areas. If you're a camper who will winterize and be fine the upgrade will not gain you anything.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

RRCampers "Also, looking at the picture of the outside of the control box, what the heck is a 'WARING" diagram."

I had to look at this several times before I got what you were asking. LOL, certainly is a misplaced word! you
                              SATA Adventurers
                              Steve and Tina
                              2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Just did the same process Steve did and put in the new cold weather board. Really thankful that I could reuse the current harnesses from the old board as my fuse holder was broken on the new one. Did just what Steve did and then tested that hot water comes out. I may be able to test in a few weeks as we will be in some colder weather but with the heater running the WH may not get cold enough, we will see. Peace of mind is why I replaced it. Really surprised a part like this comes with no instructions or diagrams at all. Just the part. Pics show taking the plugs coming off the old board and the broken fuse holder. Thank you Steve for posting what you did so I could copy your procedure 👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2505.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	100968
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	100969

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	100970
                                Nels & Vanessa
                                2022 Reflection 31MB
                                2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X