Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Siphon Action Draining Water Tank - Problem Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Keith,

I have a valve installed and it made no difference at all. I could stop the flow with the valve, but even after more than half the tank was gone, the flow would start right back up as soon as I opened the valve. I believe that no air was getting into the system and the flimsy water tank was collapsing. It's never been this bad before.

Jim
    Other than dropping the belly I would suggest something like I installed. It's been working perfectly. You don't need the air vac I used. Just cover the pipe end with a screen. Even with the new design there will still be some surge loss while driving. My set up prevents even that. Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I'm can't wait any more. I need to drop the underbelly and apply Rob's fix. A couple of weeks ago, I filled my fresh tank and let it go too far. It started to spill out of the overflow. I could not get it to break the siphon no matter what I tried. I pressed the input valve to let air in, and there was no stopping it. I ran a few gallons of water out of one of the faucets, and the overflow kept spilling out. I opened the drain valve which did nothing more than start draining the water out of both the overflow and the drain valve at the same time. Water was still coming out of the overflow tube when I was at only 1/3 of a tank. The only way I could get the flow to stop was to use my compressor to pump air into the overflow! This has to be terrible on the fresh water tank. Now, I just need some cool weather here in Tucson before tackling this project.

Jim
      Jim - a quick and easy solution......get a wine bottle cork from Andi (or other appropriate size stopper) and stuff it in the overflow tube ! I'm sure Andi has one (or maybe two lol) to spare ! If not, I'll have Carol send some your way.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Jim - a quick and easy solution......get a wine bottle cork from Andi (or other appropriate size stopper) and stuff it in the overflow tube ! I'm sure Andi has one (or maybe two lol) to spare ! If not, I'll have Carol send some your way.

Dan
        Thanks for the laugh this morning, Dan! 🤣🤣. But I’m not sure where you got the idea that I might have wine corks 😉
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

I would imagine that even though it is inside of insulation that the warmer that it gets the more flexible the tank becomes.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

My 295RL has the over flow and vent tunes shown in post 51. I can leave the campground with full tank and by the end of a 200 mile drive I show 1/3 tank of water. It’s constantly loosing 2/3 of water. I shut off water when vent overflow starts dripping let it rest for a few minutes and top off..I’ve checked under trailer for sagging ; all looks good and passes test of pushing on underbelly. Any suggestions ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
              My 295RL has the over flow and vent tunes shown in post 51. I can leave the campground with full tank and by the end of a 200 mile drive I show 1/3 tank of water. It’s constantly loosing 2/3 of water. I shut off water when vent overflow starts dripping let it rest for a few minutes and top off..I’ve checked under trailer for sagging ; all looks good and passes test of pushing on underbelly. Any suggestions ?
              Only fill the tank until the gage says its full. This will leave an air gap at the top of the tank and not let the water start the syphon action from filling, also recommended by GD to only fill to the indicated full level.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The mod in the link below solves all issues with siphon, slosh and tank collapse. A high flow (to match forced fill) single vent high on the side of the rig with no overflow would be ideal during manufacturing as a permanent fix to these issues.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ent-water-loss

Jim

Comment

You are the first to report that the twin overflow “doesn’t work”. Grand Design did bench testing to confirm that the second tube would break the siphon in the first . . . before implementing this design across all their product lines. It was never claimed that this design would stop “slosh pumping” out the overflow, but if this sets up a siphon, the water will stop flowing.

If you drive a particularly rough or twisting route, I can see how this continual motion could pump a lot of water out the overflow/vent lines. Raising the overflow to considerably higher than the tank (as described in recent posts on this thread) or capping the existing overflow(s) while travelling would be your only alternatives.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bobsrv You could try clipping the shorter line as close to the coroplast as reasonable as this will help increase the imbalance needed for the system to work. The issue I see is that if both lines get full of water, the siphoning will continue. The different length lines in theory should stop the siphon, however, it's not a 100% guarantee. Something has to create an imbalance in the 2 lines (one being shorter showed to be enough) which will result in reverse flows of the 2 lines.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
                      Hi Joseph,

You are absolutely correct that a difference in tube length would be the best configuration . . . for the reasons you describe. Grand Design missed this part of my recommendation and bench tested with tubes of more-or-less the same length. The concept still worked. I think this is in part because one tube feeds two tubes at the highest point. The one vent tube coming out of the tank can’t supply enough water to fill both down tubes and this helps to draw air in through one of the tubes and break the siphon.

Rob
                      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-12-2022, 06:44 AM.
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Why not use one larger single tube for the downward vent if two tubes of the same diameter are more than the tank overflow can fill. Use one 3/4 inch or 1 inch tube, as water partially fills the tube and flows down, air can flow up. Anybody ever try that? Like all downward vents it won't stop slosh spill.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          Why not use one larger single tube for the downward vent if two tubes of the same diameter are more than the tank overflow can fill. Use one 3/4 inch or 1 inch tube, as water partially fills the tube and flows down, air can flow up. Anybody ever try that? Like all downward vents it won't stop slosh spill.
                          Hi Ted,
                          That idea was definitely discussed (and I think it would work) but it was important to Grand Design that the proposed solution be constructed from easily available "parts on hand". Sourcing a connector to go from the standard 3/4" Pex drain tube to a larger diameter plus adding different size tube and clamps than used anywhere else in the assembly plant . . . was not their preferred solution.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob interesting. They already use large tube for gravity fill, didn't need to be pressure tube.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I filled my tank to 2/3 full before leaving Valdez drove 120 mile and arrived with 1/3 tank. I’m sure water is draining out on all hills we climb. On a slight grade on a view point turn out II had a a-trail of water from over flow tube.

Comment

I filled my tank to 2/3 full before leaving Valdez drove 120 mile and arrived with 1/3 tank. I’m sure water is draining out on all hills we climb. On a slight grade on a view point turn out II had a a-trail of water from over flow tube.
                                When you completely fill the tank to overflowing and stop filling, does the overflow stop or does it set up a siphon action, drawing in the bottom of the tank and continuing to empty the tank? This is the situation that the twin overflow is designed to stop.

Sloshing water out the overflow while driving is a different problem that can only be remedied by closing the overflow while moving and perhaps installing a higher vent location as previously discussed. Your tank sits crosswise with the vent at the centre top of the tank end. Attached picture and drawing from the Grand Design Parts Look-up information. It is curious that driving up a grade with a 1/3 full tank would allow water to reach this vent connection.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	1660305350.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	92366
                                Cate & Rob
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X