No announcement yet.

Hot Water but no hot water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The innerds from the check valve either fell out when you removed it or fell into the water heater tank. Surely there should have been a check valve there and fell apart and caused the issue, just my 2 pennies though.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      The innerds from the check valve either fell out when you removed it or fell into the water heater tank. Surely there should have been a check valve there and fell apart and caused the issue, just my 2 pennies though.

Brian
      I had wondered about that but when I pulled out what I thought was a check valve, it was a nipple with the inside clean and no witness marks from ultrasonic welding or a press fit. I’m still stumped.
      Maureen and Mark
      Port Austin, Michigan/Phoenix Arizona
      2014 Ram, Laramie 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel
      2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Was wondering if GD could verify that my unit was or was not built with a check valve on the output of the hot water heater. I replaced the original part with a brass nipple as the OEM nipple (check valve) was leaking when i reassembled the plumbing. Wondering if I need to install a check valve.
        Thanks again.

2020 337RLS Reflection
        VIN 573FR3627L3327713
        Maureen and Mark
        2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Originally posted by marknuss710 View Post
          Was wondering if GD could verify that my unit was or was not built with a check valve on the output of the hot water heater. I replaced the original part with a brass nipple as the OEM nipple (check valve) was leaking when i reassembled the plumbing. Wondering if I need to install a check valve.
          Thanks again.

2020 337RLS Reflection
          VIN 573FR3627L3327713
          You'll have to call Customer Service, Mark, to get an answer from GD. Their phone # is on the home page, right side.

Looking back at the picture in post 8 I can't tell what was disconnected or from where. Please take another showing where that nipple was disconnected and, if not on the rear of the water heater, a shot of the rear of that appliance. If you have a check valve on the heater it will look like the picture in post #3.

I put your rig in the sig block--hope that was OK with you.

Also -- I copied this response (and your query about GD) to this thread (the original thread about the valve). The other thread is closed so the conversation stays in one place.

Howard
          Last edited by howson; 03-16-2022, 09:24 AM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you have a Nautilus water control panel, you will need a check valve (or a manual valve) on the outlet of the water heater to be able to bypass the water heater for winterizing the plumbing system with antifreeze. It has no other purpose. It is possible that your trailer was built without a check valve . . . but this would still not be correct for the Nautilus water system. (The only configuration that does not need this valve is the earlier Anderson Kantleak system)

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Finally fixed. Upon further inspection of the plastic part I removed, I believe it was a check valve. The plastic part had a direction of “flow” molded into the part. I’m guessing that the check valve initially clogged or was stuck and then the “guts” ended up somewhere, probably in the hot water tank. Flushed it 5 times and nothing came out. Then I had leaks upon leaks from the garbage fittings that GD uses. Installed a new brass check valve and ended up using brass and eliminating the plastic fittings.
              Maureen and Mark
              2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                I believe that’s exactly what happened. I posted some pics of the suspect part. It had “flow” molded on it.
                thanks for the help.
                Maureen and Mark
                2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

marknuss710

Good to learn that you got this solved. Thank-you for taking the time to post what you found and how you fixed it. Others will benefit from your experience and that is what this forum is all about.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I've seen these failed check valves dozens and dozens of times over the years. If GDRV won't install brass valves during manufacturing, it would be really smart for owners to do preventive service and change them as soon as they take delivery of their units.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      I've seen these failed check valves dozens and dozens of times over the years. If GDRV won't install brass valves during manufacturing, it would be really smart for owners to do preventive service and change them as soon as they take delivery of their units.

Jim
                      All to save $5 per rig??

I agree but if they’re anything like mine, they’re absolutely miserable to get at. Also once you upset the factory plumbing no doubt you’ll encounter the crap plastic fittings that are difficult to get to seal again. Sad to say but I have very low confidence level with the plumbing in these rigs if they get towed any amount of miles and get rattled around.
                      Last edited by marknuss710; 03-16-2022, 09:31 PM.
                      Maureen and Mark
                      2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Originally posted by marknuss710 View Post

All to save $5 per rig??

I agree but if they’re anything like mine, they’re absolutely miserable to get at. Also once you upset the factory plumbing no doubt you’ll encounter the crap plastic fittings that are difficult to get to seal again. Sad to say but I have very low confidence level with the plumbing in these rigs if they get towed any amount of miles and get rattled around.
                        Hi Mark,

Probably less than $1 saved at production pricing. Several on this forum have removed all the soft hose and replaced it with Pex pipe. There are several threads on this topic. If you can set aside a couple of days to do this, the project is not complicated and you end up with a plumbing system that will survive thousands of towing miles. I did mine several years ago and have not had a leak since.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X