Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water but no hot water

2020 337RLS Reflection with traditional hot water heater

Out of the blue, the hot water stops flowing. Cold water works fine.
    Doesn't flow on "city water" or "dry camping" mode
    with the Pump "on" the hot water will push water out of the heater tank pressure relief valve when opened.
    I drained the hot water heater 2x and there's some reduced flow (60% -70% reduced)

Wondering if anyone knows if there's a check valve on the output of the hot water tank? Or other ideas that could be causing this issue?

Thanks
    Maureen and Mark
    Port Austin, Michigan/Phoenix Arizona
    2014 Ram, Laramie 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2020 337RLS Reflection

Originally posted by marknuss710 View Post

with the Pump "on" the hot water will push water out of the heater tank pressure relief valve when opened.
    I drained the hot water heater 2x and there's some reduced flow (60% -70% reduced)

Wondering if anyone knows if there's a check valve on the output of the hot water tank? Or other ideas that could be causing this issue?

Thanks
    Yes, there's a check valve on the back of the hot water heater. Mine looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve heater.JPG
Views:	1284
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	79124

You can verify this is the issue by turning the red knob on the Nautilus panel 90 degrees. Cold water should now flow out of the hot water faucet (since it is bypassing the heater).

If your 337 is similar to my 315's plumbing (and the Nautilus is the same) this thread should help you understand: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...abled-disabled

Finally, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes, there's a check valve on the back of the hot water heater. Mine looks like this:

Name:	valve heater.JPG
Views:	1284
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	79124

You can verify this is the issue by turning the red knob on the Nautilus panel 90 degrees. Cold water should now flow out of the hot water faucet (since it is bypassing the heater).

If your 337 is similar to my 315's plumbing (and the Nautilus is the same) this thread should help you understand: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...abled-disabled

Finally, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Thank you for the info. unfortunately bypassing the hot water heater didn't seem to make a difference in the flow.
      Maureen and Mark
      2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Thanks
        Are you talking about a specific faucet, or all the HW faucets? If it is a specific one, possibly the faucet screen has plugged. One other thing to check and this may not be related to your issue - are both of your outside shower valves closed. If thier open it can allow the water to mix. If this is not the case I would pull the check valve and replace as Howard mentions.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I would suspect the check valve in post # 2.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Set the Nautilus valve to bypass the water heater. If water flows out the hot faucet, then the problem is a stuck check valve on the water heater outlet.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thank you for the info. unfortunately bypassing the hot water heater didn't seem to make a difference in the flow.
              So to clarify, you turned the red knob on the Nautilus panel 90 degrees and there's no difference in the flow of water from the hot faucets?

Can you expound further on the problem (as Keith suggested): is it all the hot water faucets in the trailer?
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

So to clarify, you turned the red knob on the Nautilus panel 90 degrees and there's no difference in the flow of water from the hot faucets?

Can you expound further on the problem (as Keith suggested): is it all the hot water faucets in the trailer?
                Initially - No hot water flow on all locations (outside shower spigot included).
                Cold water flow was normal on all locations.
                Have been in my current location for 2 1/2 months and this issue started out of the blue this morning.
                I did bypass the hot water heater control valve ONLY on the Nautilus system and it didn't affect the flow.
                Filled and flushed the hot water heater 2x and there was some flow out of the hot water position (all spigots) but only 30% or so from normal.
                I did go into the full "winterize mode" on the Nautilus and the hot water location flowed normally in ALL locations.

Removed what I thought was a check valve and it was merely a plastic nipple.

Im stumped

Maureen and Mark
                2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Initially - No hot water flow on all locations (outside shower spigot included).
                  Cold water flow was normal on all locations.
                  Have been in my current location for 2 1/2 months and this issue started out of the blue this morning.
                  I did bypass the hot water heater control valve ONLY on the Nautilus system and it didn't affect the flow.
                  Filled and flushed the hot water heater 2x and there was some flow out of the hot water position (all spigots) but only 30% or so from normal.
                  I did go into the full "winterize mode" on the Nautilus and the hot water location flowed normally in ALL locations.

Removed what I thought was a check valve and it was merely a plastic nipple.

Im stumped
                  Look at the diagrams posted in the Plumbing channel's Reference Material section (post #2 of this thread): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...el-information

When you're in the Winterize mode, the flow inside the Nautilus is bypassing the blue handle's valve and the hot water heater.

Humor me--set the Nautilus panel to the Winterize settings but rotate the red knob so it's pointing up (allow water to pass through the water heater). What's the change in the flow, if any?

Note I'm assuming your Nautilus settings match the v1 drawings. If your panel is different, let me know. (Should still have a red knob, though, so you can still set to YOUR winterize settings but engage the water heater.)

IMPORTANT: No power to the water heater element ( and don't turn on propane to the heater, either). Leave them off during troubleshooting. If the tank should drain inadvertently, you'll toast the electric element or damage the liner. (Sorry--that may be self-evident but want to be overly cautious.)

Name:	change this.JPG
Views:	1376
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	79178

Howard & Francine

Comment

Look at the diagrams posted in the Plumbing channel's Reference Material section (post #2 of this thread): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...el-information

When you're in the Winterize mode, the flow inside the Nautilus is bypassing the blue handle's valve and the hot water heater.

Humor me--set the Nautilus panel to the Winterize settings but rotate the red knob so it's pointing up (allow water to pass through the water heater). What's the change in the flow, if any?

Note I'm assuming your Nautilus settings match the v1 drawings. If your panel is different, let me know. (Should still have a red knob, though, so you can still set to YOUR winterize settings but engage the water heater.)

IMPORTANT: No power to the water heater element ( and don't turn on propane to the heater, either). Leave them off during troubleshooting. If the tank should drain inadvertently, you'll toast the electric element or damage the liner. (Sorry--that may be self-evident but want to be overly cautious.)

Name:	change this.JPG
Views:	1376
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	79178
                    So I reassembled the system (with the original plastics nipple) and I now have full flow on the hot water side, all locations.
                    These phantom issues will drive me crazy.
                    Maureen and Mark
                    2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

marknuss710 -- it's all good if it's working.

Now that you have time, don't forget to check out the Welcome Letter and fill out your signature line.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

marknuss710 is it possible a hot line froze? If you're somewhere cold and it froze I could see it not working even if the heater was bypassed, as well as it starting to work on its own after it thawed.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.โ€‹

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

marknuss710 -- it's all good if it's working.

Now that you have time, don't forget to check out the Welcome Letter and fill out your signature line.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                          Thank you for the help. Iโ€™ll check it out later tonight after I fix the small leaks from the wonderful fittings GD uses. Thanks again for the assistance
                          Maureen and Mark
                          2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                            marknuss710 is it possible a hot line froze? If you're somewhere cold and it froze I could see it not working even if the heater was bypassed, as well as it starting to work on its own after it thawed.
                            Sunny Phoenix ๐ŸŒž
                            Maureen and Mark
                            2020 337RLS Reflection

Comment

Sunny Phoenix ๐ŸŒž
                              Wishful thinking the cause would be that easy.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.โ€‹

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X