Slow Hot Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Hot Water

Is anyone else having to wait a long time to get hot water out of the faucet at kitchen sink, bathroom sink or shower? We are in Florida hooked up to city water the other day 72 degree ambient, sunny bluebird day. Opened hot water faucet only-46 seconds before water even got minimally warm, 1 min and 16 seconds till water got even close to hot, estimated temp at that point 100/110 degre (was not scalding, just warm) 2 full minutes till fully hot. Temperature set at controller in bathroom 124. At bathroom sink same condition turn on hot only 1 min and 6 seconds before it got hot. Anyone else experiencing this? After water reaches temp then things are fine. If I go on fresh water tank it will be empty in two days at this rate. It may be continuous be it certainly isn’t instantaneous.

Last edited by howson; 03-18-2022, 12:47 PM.
    2022 315RLTS

Originally posted by BobC View Post
    Is anyone else having to wait a long time to get hot water out of the faucet at kitchen sink, bathroom sink or shower? We are in Florida hooked up to city water the other day 72 degree ambient, sunny bluebird day. Opened hot water faucet only-46 seconds before water even got minimally warm, 1 min and 16 seconds till water got even close to hot, estimated temp at that point 100/110 degre (was not scalding, just warm) 2 full minutes till fully hot. Temperature set at controller in bathroom 124. At bathroom sink same condition turn on hot only 1 min and 6 seconds before it got hot. Anyone else experiencing this? After water reaches temp then things are fine. If I go on fresh water tank it will be empty in two days at this rate. It may be continuous be it certainly isn’t instantaneous.
    What water heater is in your '22 315RLTS?

It does take some time for hot water to get to the faucet since it must travel from the water heater to the Nautilus Panel then out to the faucet. Nearly the length of the trailer since it has to travel both ways.

You might find this thread interesting as it most likely reflects your setup (drawing is of my '19 315RLTS): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...abled-disabled

Also noted that was your first post, so welcome to the forum. I moved your trailer info to the sig line (I see you tried to get it there!). I assume you read the Welcome Letter (thanks).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson why does the hot water have to come back to the Nautilus panel? The hot water outlet of the water heater distributes hot water to the faucets, it does not have to go through any Nautilus valving for distribution.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by BobC View Post
        Bob
        Also check that your outside faucets are turned off. If on the cold and hot will mix at the faucets and dilute the temperature to the rest of the trailer.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          howson why does the hot water have to come back to the Nautilus panel? The hot water outlet of the water heater distributes hot water to the faucets, it does not have to go through any Nautilus valving for distribution.
          Look at the diagram in the linked thread, Ted. The red knob determines if the hot water flows through the system or if cold water flows through the system. Believe it or not the output of the heater goes all the way back to those connections that "T" off to the outside faucet (behind the Nautilus) and all the other sources.

Below is a rough approximation that should (hopefully) demonstrate what I'm trying to describe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot water.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	79491

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold Water.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	79490
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson I couldn't stand it, I had to go look at my trailer. You are correct the outlet from the water heater does come back to the Nautilus panel plumbing. It comes into a T-fitting to feed the hot water side of the system. The hot water does not go through a valve for distribution. Learned something yet again about my rig. My water heater is only about a foot and a half from the panel, so not much of a path for the water. Three feet out and back, total. Still doesn't explain the long time for hot water to arrive at a faucet.
            The RED valve directs cold water either to the water heater inlet or to the hot water side of the system.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS -- your correct that each trailer's behavior will be different based on the distance from the Nautilus to the heater. As you probably noted in my post, the distance for the 315's is significant.

Howard & Francine

Comment

x2 on the advice in post #4 . . . It sounds like you have the outside faucets both open, mixing the hot and cold.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Howard, for the record I have the Furrion continuous Hot Water heater. Like I said right now (city water and sewer hook up) no problem, but when I leave here and go on tanks I’m going to empty my fresh water and fill my gray water up very quickly. The heater itself is only 24 inches from bathroom sink. If it has to go to the water control board and back that might explain the problem.

BobC
                  2022 315RLTS

Comment

BobC -- I don't have any personal experience with the "continuous" water heater, but it's my understanding there is a slight delay due to that appliance in addition to the distance.

Here's a similar complaint from a 300RBTS owner: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ection-300rbts

There's a post somewhere on this forum where an owner inserted a "T", effectively defeating the bypass. Unfortunately my googlefi isn't up to par tonight...maybe someone will remember.

Howard
                    Last edited by howson; 03-19-2022, 06:52 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

BobC Bob, try this. Open the hot water faucet, listen for the click and the fan, then turn it off. Count how long it takes for the HWH flame to go out. Now repeat, but just before you reach the flame out temp, turn the faucet back on. What I learned in our home and it also applies to the camper, the unit takes about 20 seconds to get the water up to temp. By cycling the HWH this way, the unit builds water temp in the unit, then continues instead of sending 20 seconds or so of basically unheated water through the pipes.

Also, go out and check the white knob inside the HWH that it is set to the max, this then allows the inside thermostat to control the water temps. While out there, verify that all of the outside shower or other dual handle single outlet fixtures are closed. Look above the Nautilus panel especially as this has been know to be the culprit as mentioned by others.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
                        ”20 seconds to get the water up to temp” . . . doesn’t really seem to fit the marketing hype of “on demand” water heating .

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda #4, thanks, no outside faucet on. I think the distance from HWH to nautilus panel is the problem. Bypassing the bypass as Howard suggested in #10 may be the solution. I find it very hard to start modifying a trailer that’s 30 days old. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

BobC
                          2022 315RLTS

Comment

BobC Welcome to the family and the forum!

You ought to see the lag on the kitchen sink in a 390.....
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I'm seriously considering putting in a pump and line from the kitchen sink to the inlet of the HWH to minimize water usage with the tankless unit.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X