Water Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    My island tap set does not have a trim piece like Rob's. Anybody drilled the countertop in their rig? I've never drilled that kind of material and don't want to mess it up/crack it. Any tips for a clean job? High speed? Low speed? Drill type?
    If you are installing an iSpring system, the hole for the faucet is relatively small. 1/2” diameter if I recall correctly. This is too small for a hole saw, so I think I would use a forstner bit (although I have not tried this). The base of the faucet is considerably larger than the hole . . . so small chipping of the surface would be covered, if this happens.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Any tips for a clean job?
      Put down a piece of painter's tape, then mark & drill. Should almost eliminate chipping.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes painters tape will be your friend. The counter tops are just some kind of laminate over wood of another kind. Just watch pushing thru the wood part so you do not blow the back out.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Yes painters tape will be your friend. The counter tops are just some kind of laminate over wood of another kind. Just watch pushing thru the wood part so you do not blow the back out.

Brian
          Ok, thanks. I thought it was some sort of solid fibre stuff.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Ok, thanks. I thought it was some sort of solid fibre stuff.
            It is close to MDF, very dusty when cutting with a jig saw.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

If you are installing an iSpring system, the hole for the faucet is relatively small. 1/2” diameter if I recall correctly.

Rob
              I'm installing the rainfresh ucs2 system. Sounds like the tap is very similar though. It's 1/2" pipe with about a 1" round trim plate.
              I went with this system because I frequently hook up to country well systems. Untreated, and I have no idea how often they are tested.
              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-02-2024, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I'm installing the rainfresh ucs2 system. Sounds like the tap is very similar though. It's 1/2" pipe with about a 1" round trim plate.
                I went with this system because I frequently hook up to country well systems. Untreated, and I have no idea how often they are tested.
                Interesting that while Rainfresh and iSpring appear to have similar filtration technology, Rainfresh (a Canadian company) has raw water test data on their site while iSpring (a US company) makes no mention of this capability or lack thereof.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Interesting that while Rainfresh and iSpring appear to have similar filtration technology, Rainfresh (a Canadian company) has raw water test data on their site while iSpring (a US company) makes no mention of this capability or lack thereof.

Rob
                  That was the main reason I went with the Rainfresh. For the walleye opener this year I'll be at a very rustic place that probably had it's well tested last in 1952 or there abouts.

Comment

to drill laminate with out chipping if you score the surface with a winged wood bit, then use another type or even the standard wood bit, just be slow you should be fine. Painter tape or any type of masking tape may help, but a lot of times the bit will grab and pull it.

Here is an example of the winged bit: https://www.amazon.com/Luckyway-8-Pi...31&sr=8-6&th=1
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Do you think those would be much different than the Forstner bits Cate&Rob suggested? They both cut initially at the max diameter of the hole. I have new forstner bits...

Comment

Jlawles2 Do you think those would be much different than the Forstner bits Cate&Rob suggested? They both cut initially at the max diameter of the hole. I have new forstner bits...
                        I would think the Forstner bit would be a better choice because of the longer cutting outer edge. I would rock the bit side to side at the start to begin the cut at the outer edges. I am not sure about the tape idea . . . this could bunch up and get in the way of a clean starting cut in the surface laminate.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Never really used the Forstner bits. Plastic laminate likes tight thin score marks to start. If you have winged bits already, you could score the laminate with one first, then swap over to the forstener bit. I'd probably shoot to cut through the laminate first with the winged bit because IIRC the forstener bit has a chisel like cutting edge inside the diameter, not unlike the standard paddle bit, but closer to or flush with the outside teeth of the bit.

One thing you may find is laminate may grab the bit after it's cut through on the perimeter and spin. at this point STOP, pick out the center, then continue.

If you rock the bit as Rob suggest, use small circular motion clockwise thus creating a downward cut on the teeth of the bit at all times.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

My "Filter a'la Farrow" test fit well. Now just to plumb the lines.
                            Cate&Rob, you said you used quick disconnect fittings...have a link to where/what you purchased? I'm relatively plumbing illiterate so I don't know what to search for when looking for fittings for that small plastic tubing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Your posts are a hoot! Small diameter quick connects come from a secret source not accessible to our American friends . . . Princess Auto (pressure washer parts section)

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X