Water in sewer pipe every time I remove cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zing View Post
    Senior Moderator. can you please delete those accidental attached files for my last Zing post. Thank you
    Hi Al & Janet,

Edited per your request. BTW . . . you should be able to edit your own posts on this forum, including removing attachments.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Al & Janet,

Edited per your request. BTW . . . you should be able to edit your own posts on this forum, including removing attachments.

Rob
      Thanks Rob for your help. I will check the procedure in the future.
      AL & JANET
      2021 F250 XLT CCSB 6.2, 4.30, Iconic Silver, ---
      2021 GD REFL 295RL. PULLRITE SUPERGL. 2914
      2017 F250 Lariat CCSB 6.2 3.73, Caribou ,
      2013 COACHMEN FREEDOM EX. 281RLDS
      HAMILTON, ONTARIO CANADA

Comment

I’m running a little experiment. With the valve closed, I’m putting 5 gallons in a tank, putting the cap on it, waiting several hours and seeing if I lose any water when I remove the cap. So far the black tank valve hasn’t leaked. Working on the kitchen sink tank now. On the positive side, I am now able to determine which gray handle goes to which tank.

I’m leaning toward those that said the plumbing has some high spots though I’m incredulous that Grand Design QC allows that to happen.
        Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
        2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
        2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

My 2500RL does the same thing, dealer spent time with dyes and could not find a leak yet every time I pull the cap, about 1 cup drains. One thing that did help for me was to leave the cap off while putting away the hoses to let everything drain out since the valve is not right there at the connector. this slow dribble added to the amount at the next dump.

I haven't dropped the coroplast to confirm but my guess is some low point in the drain line and driving moves it down to the cap

In my case, I believe it's grey water so I am not overly concerned, and I always wear disposable gloves

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
            My 2500RL does the same thing, dealer spent time with dyes and could not find a leak yet every time I pull the cap, about 1 cup drains. One thing that did help for me was to leave the cap off while putting away the hoses to let everything drain out since the valve is not right there at the connector. this slow dribble added to the amount at the next dump.

I haven't dropped the coroplast to confirm but my guess is some low point in the drain line and driving moves it down to the cap

In my case, I believe it's grey water so I am not overly concerned, and I always wear disposable gloves

Good luck
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308s.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	99329 I had the same issue on my trailer and installed the Ventura valve at the exit - the simple solution. This is a photo of my two forward tank outlets. gray is in foreground and black behind. Both tank outlets are at the same elevation. That mean the outlet piping between them is level, or should be. I found on mine that one end sagged a bit (gray) so I zip tied it up to level. You can see the zip tie around the pipe. Then there is the run to the outlet - again level. So in real life a slight bit of liquid could easily remain, especially if your trailer is level when you dump. Its just the nature of the beast. During travel that water sloshes to the outlet (turns and bumps)

Before I put my coroplast back up I will double check my piping again to se if it has gotten out of level and adjust if I can Also note the connections to the tanks themselves are NOT glued. It's some sort of butyl putty and secured with a band clamp on the outlet tank fitting. So far they have not moved, but recent posts with folks having leaks appear to show theirs have shifted. Something to check if you ever under there.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

So far the best drain I have had in the 303 was in Colorado. Dump station was sloped such that it was low on the street side and also on the tow end. This lead to all the water draining out of the lines. I do also run the twist on valve.

IMHO, it would be better to have the drain lines exposed than to have water sit in the lines.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I forgot to post the results of the experiment.

Filled black tank. Waited 8 hours. Opened sewer cap. No water. Drained tank.

Filled gray one. Waited 8 hours. Opened sewer cap. No water. Drained tank.

Filled gray two. Waited 12 hours. Opened sewer cap. No water. Drained tank.

Waited 2 more hours. Made sure all valves closed. Lowered left side of RV and got about 2 cups of water out of the sewer lines.

Anyone have a photo of the underside of a 303 with the coroplast removed?
                Last edited by jbt816; 11-13-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

jbt816 -- Cate&Rob might have one. He'll see the tag and respond.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    So far the best drain I have had in the 303 was in Colorado. Dump station was sloped such that it was low on the street side and also on the tow end. This lead to all the water draining out of the lines. I do also run the twist on valve.

IMHO, it would be better to have the drain lines exposed than to have water sit in the lines.
                    I've thought about dropping the drain lines below the corplastic, more to move the outlet out from under the curbside slide than anything else. But every now and then we get into subfreezing temperatures for extended periods of time. Decided it is probably best to leave as is.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

jbt816
                      Hi Bruce,

Attached is a labelled picture of the tank drain plumbing. If you are wondering why the coroplast is cut away and the wiring cleaned up (vs what is normally found above the coroplast) this picture was taken on my way to installing insulated opening doors in the underbelly (other picture). If you want a picture from any specific angle . . . I probably have one.

Some 303s are plumbed with a 1 1/2" gate valve on the Galley grey tank and some are plumbed with a 3" gate valve like the Black and Shower grey tanks. You can determine this by how far the pull handles move. If one grey handle only moves half the distance of the other two . . . this is a 1 1/2" Galley gate valve.

WRT this discussion . . . the drain plumbing is very close to level because of the available space. As Jlawles2 Joseph notes, draining the tanks is affected more by the slope of the dump station pavement than by anything that could be done to rework the plumbing in the space available. Note that the outlet does drop considerably to come out below the coroplast.

Rob

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	99378 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	99379
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        jbt816
                        Hi Bruce,

Attached is a labelled picture of the tank drain plumbing. If you are wondering why the coroplast is cut away and the wiring cleaned up (vs what is normally found above the coroplast) this picture was taken on my way to installing insulated opening doors in the underbelly (other picture). If you want a picture from any specific angle . . . I probably have one.

Some 303s are plumbed with a 1 1/2" gate valve on the Galley grey tank and some are plumbed with a 3" gate valve like the Black and Shower grey tanks. You can determine this by how far the pull handles move. If one grey handle only moves half the distance of the other two . . . this is a 1 1/2" Galley gate valve.

WRT this discussion . . . the drain plumbing is very close to level because of the available space. As Jlawles2 Joseph notes, draining the tanks is affected more by the slope of the dump station pavement than by anything that could be done to rework the plumbing in the space available. Note that the outlet does drop considerably to come out below the coroplast.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2569.jpg Views:	5 Size:	144.3 KB ID:	99378 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2760.jpg Views:	5 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	99379
                        Thanks so much for that photo. It really clears up what I had in my mind. Great job creating the insulated access doors! You may have sparked me to open mine up and clean up the wiring, make an access point, etc....

I just saw the extension you put on the fresh water valve. Great idea.

Comment

What the underbelly wiring will likely look like when you open up the coroplast !

Rob

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	99385
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob I think that is a bit optimistic now days based on what I saw from just cracking the edge to run the chicken light wiring.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X