Corrosion on Slide Out Hydraulic Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion on Slide Out Hydraulic Rod

I have corrosion and pitting on the plating on the hydraulic rod of my slide out. I have tried to keep it coated with dry silicone spray, but it seems to be getting worse. This is a 2021 Solitude 345. What can I do to prevent the rust from spreading? I have attached pictures of the corrosion. We are in Galveston TX, not far from the shore.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or direction.
    Attached Files

First I would polish the rust off of that cylinder before retracting it, if not you will ruin the hydraulic cylinder seals and will have a hydraulic fluid leak. For me I would spray a dry lube on the cylinder rod when fully extended, generous coating, this should wipe off when the cylinder is retracted. You could also call Lippert and send them this picture so they no they have failing chrome plating on the cylinder rod. The rod should be replaceable I think. Even coating with a grease or vasaline would be ok just wipe it off before retracting.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It should be replaced. The plating is faulty.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If the rusted section retracts inside the cylinder the corrosion will destroy the seals and cause a leak. The only fix is to replace the cylinder.

Polishing the ram will only prolong the replacement, I tried this with my last 5th wheel. Eventually, the slide started creeping out while traveling.
        2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)​
        Lakeland, FL

Comment

For the short term, do the best you can to remove the existing corrosion. The spray liberally with something like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WD-40-SP...0035/300719560 or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-...6-SS/316548568

If possible you need to protect the piston rod from moisture the best way possible. Being in the high humidity with salt in the immediate area it's not an ideal situation. You can try pipe insulation to help, again liberally apply some type of protection. The insulation is there to help prolong the life of the protection as heat, sunlight and moisture will cause it to deteriorate or wash away.

If your unit is out of warranty, price a new cylinder. You can try a local Hydraulic shop like Star Hydraulics to see if they can have the rod re-chromed and rebuild the cylinder cheaper than replacing, but I highly doubt they can beat the volume pricing LCI has.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

If repair is the only option, it'd be much more economical to get the rod machined new than to have it re-chromed. Minimums for chrome plating in my area are over $500.
            I'd suspect OEM should be able to replace the cylinder cheaper than it can be repaired.
            Either way, that rod is wreaking havoc on the rod seal.
            Dustin and Samantha
            2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
            2021 Chevy Silverado - 3.0 Duramax - B&W Continuum

Comment

Having owned motorhomes with hydraulic levelers and slide rams made by HWH the manual states that you should use silicone spray every six weeks or so to prevent rust, especially near bodies of salt water. I'm not sure what LCI recommends.
              2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher View Post
                Having owned motorhomes with hydraulic levelers and slide rams made by HWH the manual states that you should use silicone spray every six weeks or so to prevent rust, especially near bodies of salt water. I'm not sure what LCI recommends.
                The Grand Design Solitude and Momentum owner's manuals state to spray the exposed rods with silicone based lubricant every three months during normal usage. If the rods are exposed to a salty environment, they should be sprayed every 4 to 6 weeks.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

The Grand Design Solitude and Momentum owner's manuals state to spray the exposed rods with silicone based lubricant every three months during normal usage. If the rods are exposed to a salty environment, they should be sprayed every 4 to 6 weeks.

Jim
                  I'll bet a lot of Solitude and Momentum owners don't know that. I don't have hydraulics but would have thought the thin layer of hydraulic fluid left on the rod after extending at each deployment would be good (my idea of normal use). Sitting for weeks and weeks obviously different.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I'm sure the cost for grand design wouldn't make sense as it's about double the price to use. We've used 17-4 stainless chrome plated rod mostly for the additional strength, but it would also have superior corrosion resistance for this application.
                    I'd be curious to make one of these shafts and put it in a humid salty environment to see how long it would hold up compared to a standard 1045 chrome rod.
                    Dustin and Samantha
                    2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

How well the chrome-plated rod holds up to corrosion depends most on the quality of the plating, less on the rod material. Look at construction equipment use.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I guess that's true. The base material wouldn't rust, but the chrome would still peel away as in the original post if it's not regularly protected.
                        I see an awful lot of failed chrome rods in the construction industry. Most chrome plating on new material is a flash coating at best, even with hard chrome. The advantage for construction equipment is daily use. Chrome is still porous, in construction there is consistent use so the plating always has some residual oil trapped. Most chrome failure is where the machine cylinder sits idle and water collects at or under the wiper.
                        Dustin and Samantha
                        2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

OP's piston rod has a poor chrome plating.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Wrap the rod with vinegar soaked paper towels to dissolve the rust. It may take several applications. Coat the rod with a sticky grease to keep the moisture out.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

There’s no saving those rods. That’s more than surface rust. New cylinders are in your future. Find a reputable mobile tech possibly?
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X