Slide out floor damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out floor damage

The last time we brought the slide in, it looked like the top was tight against the camper, but the bottom was protruding further than I thought it should.....well....when we took it back out....we had damage to the floor previously on one side where the slide had dug in. But this time the damage was much more significant.

1. Any ideas how to prevent? Just need to re-calibrate the slide more often?
    2. Any ideas on how to fix the floor? Probably a gash of 6" x 2-3". See picture. I have not contacted Grand Design yet....but may. Not sure how that floor works. Maybe I could cut a section out and replace?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240504_001206813.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	133691
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

bellis They have a pretty good vendor they work with for floor damage. I have had a repair done on mine and you cannot tell it was there unless you look closely. The can usually repair, if they cannot source the flooring (mine was no longer available) they can take it from under a cabinet or storage. Call Grand Design and they should be able to put you in touch. I think the web site for the company was https://wecanfixthat.com/
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Find a piece of flooring that is under a cabinet or somewhere that you will not miss it and cut a piece larger than you need to fix the hole, find a piece that will match what you are replacing. Cut the damage area out, make sure not to exceed your patch size. Cut the patch square. Lay the patch over the hole and try to match the pattern, then carefully cut thru the patch and the flooring material. Then at the hardware store you can get some seam glue for vinyl flooring, take the patch with you and they should help you with what you need. Glue the seams and a little at the edges of the patch and the cutout and put the patch in place. Might be a little more than you want to do but this is how I fixed a hole in the kitchen floor at home. Or you could look for a flooring person.

I think TucsonJim repaired a hole in his Reflection.

Brian
      Last edited by Country Campers; 05-07-2024, 05:30 AM. Reason: edited to match Jim's description, which is what I meant to say
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You certainly want to figure out and resolve what gouged the flooring . . . before just fixing the vinyl. I am thinking a jammed or broken roller on the slide? Many of us use “Slide Slickers” to protect the flooring from damage like this. https://www.lippert.com/slide-out-slicker-134993

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I did a flooring patch and it came out very well. The new owners couldn't find it.

VERY IMPORTANT. Do not try and cut the floor to match the patch size.

Place the patch in the desired location and glue it in place. Then, use a very sharp razor knife to cut the patch AND the damaged flooring at the same time. Make sure you don't angle the blade to one side or the other. This will give you a perfectly fitting patch.

This video shows how to patch vinyl flooring and make it look terrific.

https://youtu.be/el08GzRNIRo?si=sqd3p7Rl97az3hSf

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            You certainly want to figure out and resolve what gouged the flooring . . . before just fixing the vinyl. I am thinking a jammed or broken roller on the slide? Many of us use “Slide Slickers” to protect the flooring from damage like this. https://www.lippert.com/slide-out-slicker-134993

Rob
            Tons of good stuff in this thread. Thank you all.

Cate&Rob - how does this work? Place this along the slide floor or on each side pointing into the room? How do you know where to put it?

The roller would be on the floor right? Or is this something on the sides? How could I tell or look for this?
            2020 Imagine 2400BH
            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

The “Slide Slickers” are plastic strips laid on the floor where the slide is likely to contact the main floor surface. This is often at the mid point of slide travel, particularly when the slide is moving in. As the slide reaches the balance point on the rollers at the main wall, it dips down towards the main floor. The slide box itself may have travelling rollers, travelling skids or if there are no rollers, plastic skis on the slide box ends. You need to discover which your slides have and place the strips where they will protect these areas. With the slide pulled in a few inches, you should be able to look under the inner edge to figure out what did this damage. It could even be something trapped under the slide. (We have cats, so inspecting for what they stole and pushed under the slide edge is a regular thing for us )

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

As we packed up today - it did even more damage. We have tried recalibrating/resetting etc. I think I am going to have to have it serviced. Maybe I can have them take care of a few things I have not had time to.

Am I better off to call Grand Design first and then take it to my closest dealer OR just call the dealer and take it there?
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

bellis
                  . If there is a reputable mobile service available, consider that route. Otherwise the dealer may be best.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

RV Dealers are only required (by their agreement with the manufacturer) to provide service for units that they sold. This is not like your truck that you can expect to be serviced at any dealer. Not to say that an RV Dealer can’t provide service on any unit . . . but their service departments are typically overwhelmed dealing with what they have sold. A mobile RV Service is likely a more viable alternative.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howson & Cate&Rob - closest one is where I bought it. Little over an hour without towing. There are closer dealers, but they are not Grand Design dealers and we did not buy from them.

Am I better off to call Grand Design first or just call the dealer?
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                        howson & Cate&Rob - closest one is where I bought it. Little over an hour without towing. There are closer dealers, but they are not Grand Design dealers and we did not buy from them.

Am I better off to call Grand Design first or just call the dealer?
                        Start with the dealer is my .02. Only if there's something extraordinary that arises from the dealer's inspection / recommended repair would I get GD involved.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wanted to drop off tomorrow, but dealer said they could not do so. Dropping off in a week.....dealer did not seem optimistic about the repair by the time I need to pick back up for the next trip. Hopefully this is an under promise over deliver situation.....but I am not holding my breath.
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X