Grease Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Recommendations

Hello, I'm new to the group. We have a 2022 Reflection 295RL which we purchased new. The unit has about 1500 miles on it. While it is in winter storage, I'm doing some routine checks and maintenance to get ready for the upcoming season.

I'd like to use the zercs to lube the wheel bearings and wet bolts. (Note: not looking to re-pack the wheel bearings yet). I've looked through the manual and cannot find a recommendation for the type of grease to use. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge as to recommended grease for wheel bearings or wet bolts? Thanks.

I use the Lucas Oil Red&Tacky, lots here use the same.

I would caution to use the grease zerk for the wheel bearings. Spin the tire while greasing and do not force it, it is very easy to push grease past the rear seal and into the brake drum area. This is not the recommended procedure but plenty do it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

rinman I'll go one step past Brian and say if you're not going to repack the bearings skip greasing the zerk completely and do nothing. There's no reason to add grease between repacks.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

rinman

x2 on ncitro Neil's advice. The only reasons for wheel bearing grease to need replacing are water intrusion or bearing deterioration. Water is only a problem on boat trailers (which is why the zerk fittings are there in the first place). The only way you will know the condition of your bearings (and brakes) is to pull the hubs, clean and inspect. Your owner's manual (both LCI and Dexter) will advice pulling the hubs at least once per year.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I use Mobil 1 synthetic. It exceeds the Dexter and Lippert spec and can be found in every auto parts store in the country. Its never a good idea to mix different brands of lube so if your using a brand that is not readily available its good to keep some with you in the rig.

Jim

Comment

What’s everyone favorite grease gun? I was looking at these on Amazon’s.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVGHNPV...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
              What’s everyone favorite grease gun? I was looking at these on Amazon’s.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVGHNPV...v_ov_lig_dp_it
              I do not like the pistol grip type, hard on hand grip strength. The lever model is what I prefer.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
                Almost any of them as long as it has a LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fit.../dp/B00H7LPKKU

​
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Buy a lever grip high pressure grease gun with flexible hose and also the Lock n Lube fitting that Howard shared with us.

https://www.mcmaster.com/high-pressure-grease-guns/

https://locknlube.com/products/lockn...fb586942153f99

Jim

Comment

I have 2 manual guns, one from Napa that is 10+ years old, and one from TS. Find one you like and go for it.

I suggest a lock-n-lube (skip the knock offs, tried them and they are BAD) and a 36" hose. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Long hose is so you can leave the gun on the ground when doing some of the fitting on the camper and truck where the gun is hanging. This lets me use the gun against the ground to pump with 1 hand. I'm really considering upgrading to a 48" hose.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ok, I am lazy. I have been greasing equipment for 40 years and got the Dewalt 18v cordless. It has an overload protection if you have a tough spot.

On the wet bolt subject, when you grease them, make sure they take grease. I had 4 that did not. I used a hyd jack to relieve the pressure on them and got them to take grease. with no pressure on the suspension, you should be able to turn the bolt.
                      "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                      2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                      2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                      2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Barta View Post
                        with no pressure on the suspension, you should be able to turn the bolt.
                        If you can turn the bolt something is very wrong. Wet bolts have a knurled section that is supposed to be seated - to prevent rotation. If they rotate something is damaged - either the bolt of the shackle/hanger hole.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1372s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	105286
                        The knurled section behind the head should be fully seated in the hanger or shackle. If you see it exposed or can be turned something is not right. When installed properly that knurled section section is fully hidden. The grease outlet hole should be at the 3oc or 9oc position.

Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In addition to Keith's comments. The hole for the bolt should be sized for the body to fit easily and when the knurled section comes in contact with the hangers, permanent deformation of the hanger should occur as the bolt is forced into position.

If you can turn the bolts, there are several things that are not correct. First and foremost is the locking mechanism utilized by the nut is not exactly the most robust to prevent backing off of the nut should bolt rotation occur. Second and less obvious, as the bolt to spring interface "matures" it becomes more fixed and can result in rotation of the bolt in the hanger which will lead to wear of the bolt and hanger at that interface. This wear can lead to premature failure of either component.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Pg 53 shows the grease type recommended.
                            The Forums is the thickness and the NLGI shows that it is rated for chassis and wheel bearings, both drum and disc.
                            The "EP" is Extreme pressure
                            It is generally the most commonly found grease in automotive type applications.
                            There are other grease available like "Marine" types but there is no advantage to them in an RV application and they do cost more.
                            The color of the grease is meaningless, its just something that some manufacturers do.

Personally I use Lucas Red N tacky or Majestic JT6 since either will check all the boxes. I use these for the RV, my Truck suspension, my mower deck spindles and suspension and even greasing the pole on my bird feeder to keep the squirrels off of it.
                            https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                            X