Wet Bolt Shimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonestar

Here are the hangers on my circa October 2016 Reflection travel trailer. They are the short rectangular hangers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0736.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	109683
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I can't tell by your picture but are the arms of your spring hangers the same width at the top as the bottom (when visualizing from front to back of trailer, not the space between the hangers)? They apparently changed them on my 2020 model Reflection where the hanger arm is wider at the top than the bottom. This was to provide more welding surface area when attaching the hanger to the frame.

Reason I ask is because of the X-Factor brace. I installed a brace on my center hangers which are the same width top and bottom. Because of the flange on the end of the X-Factor, I'm not sure they would install on my current front and rear spring hangers.

Edit: I found a pic on Yoda post. This is the hanger I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	295
Size:	944.1 KB
ID:	109679
      They will fit the wider hanger see page two of the instruction here https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf

When I get to my install I will post pictures
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda

OK my hangers center and end are just like yours. I see what they are saying about drilling a hole, so that answers about the install. I will probably get around to installing the brackets on my end hangers, as I did on the center.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

The longer base outer hangers were a Dexter requirement when Grand Design went from LCI to Dexter axles, springs and equalizers.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            The longer base outer hangers were a Dexter requirement when Grand Design went from LCI to Dexter axles, springs and equalizers.

Rob
            I was told this was supposed to be a remedy for the hanger issues that were occurring with the rectangle outer hangers. I have not modified or added the "V" spacer in mine as my trailer is light and I travel light. So far after 3 years no sign of the weld breaking. I still monitor frequently.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar

LCI used to make a very tall hanger with a fore/aft alignment adjustment called “Correct Track”. These are/were the hangers most likely to fracture. BTW, the failure was never the weld . . . it is always the heat affected zone adjacent to the weld in the hanger bracket.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I like the LocTite idea - thanks.I have some on hand.

Do you happen to have your hanger dimension? I don't quite understand why the outside pulled in as much as it did. looks like a good 1/4". Now you have me wondering on my measurements. It must be an optical illusion that the rear hanger face looks slightly thicker than the outboard face. probably the sun/shadow. It is pulled tight to the X-Factor brace so it hast to be perpendicular.

Could Morryde have changed bolt dimensions? I'll check the rest of what I have. I need to mark the grease outlet hole anyway. Thanks for the picture. I guess I will know when I get mine bolted up.

Just a thought - while there still in the box I am going to check the alignment of Morrydes welding of the backing plate to the cross tube.

Keith
                Keith - Going back to this thread. While in Elkhart last week, I had the opportunity to show the photo of the bent hanger to a MorRyde engineer. He said that is completely normal and much more desirable than allowing both sides of the hanger to flex and possibly fail. He quoted that the X-factor brace reduces movement of the hanger by 95%.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Keith - Going back to this thread. While in Elkhart last week, I had the opportunity to show the photo of the bent hanger to a MorRyde engineer. He said that is completely normal and much more desirable than allowing both sides of the hanger to flex and possibly fail. He quoted that the X-factor brace reduces movement of the hanger by 95%.

Jim
                  That's great news on the hanger bend with the x-factor and how much it reduces movement - good information.. I am getting a bit closer to hanging the axles. Found a way to lock the water tank in place using high density foam blocking - tomorrow the straps. Its nice having the free space to work.

So are you all back to being the ornery Moderators we all love? . Will be interesting to hear what you all learned and the good places to eat

Thanks again
                  Keith

PS - give Ginnie a hug and a kiss for keeping us all in line.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                  X