Upgrade to Morryde 8K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Morryde 8K

I have a 2020 380 FL with 7K axles and will be going to a Morryde IS 8K and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how do they like it and if they had it recertified.

Recertified to what? Heavier axles won't give you more carrying capacity. Trailer frame is still the same.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Recertified to what? Heavier axles won't give you more carrying capacity. Trailer frame is still the same.
      I'm curious about this. Wouldn't it at least change the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR)?

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Pacrail177 View Post
        I have a 2020 380 FL with 7K axles and will be going to a Morryde IS 8K and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how do they like it and if they had it recertified.
        It's my understanding that once a unit has a GVWR assigned by the manufacturer there's no changing it. In other words it is impossible to get it "recertified".

The 8K axles will obviously be able to support more weight, but if the camper can carry the additional weight safely assumes the "weakest link" can also handle the weight. This includes the frame, pin structure, etc.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It's the same as your truck . . . it leaves the manufacturer with the GVWR that they assign. You can increase the capacity of various components, but this does not change the numbers on the manufacturer's label for this VIN trailer. The limiting factor for GVWR is quite possibly not the suspension.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes I always found it annoying if you were going with the MorRyde 8k IS you had to pay to upgrade to the 8k spring axles to get the improved GVWR tag on the trailer. Then those perfectly good 8k spring axles you paid to upgrade are thrown away when you pay MorRyde for the IS. I had heard this was an issue they were working on, but as stated above I do not believe there is any way to get your GVWR upgraded. If your unit was available with a 8k axle upgrade from the factory and that resulted in an increased GVWR, you can probably assume the axle is not the weak link, but that would be your call to make.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              It's the same as your truck . . . it leaves the manufacturer with the GVWR that they assign. You can increase the capacity of various components, but this does not change the numbers on the manufacturer's label for this VIN trailer. The limiting factor for GVWR is quite possibly not the suspension.

Rob
              Rob - When I installed my aftermarket fuel tank from Transfer Flow, they provided a new tire rating/payload sticker. The instructions stated to modify the OEM numbers to take into account the new weight of the tank and added fuel. So it looks like it works one way, but not the other.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Rob - When I installed my aftermarket fuel tank from Transfer Flow, they provided a new tire rating/payload sticker. The instructions stated to modify the OEM numbers to take into account the new weight of the tank and added fuel. So it looks like it works one way, but not the other.

Jim
                I have heard they can reissue the payload sticker as that is not DOT certified, but the GVWR sticker is another story.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

“Payload” is the difference between GVWR and whatever the “empty” vehicle weighs. Empty vehicle weight is going to increase with whatever attachments you add. Slide toppers, 2nd AC, batteries, etc. All of these reduce the available “payload” . . . because GVWR never changes.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This should give me more carrying capacity they offer 8K axles with the same frame.

Comment

This should give me more carrying capacity they offer 8K axles with the same frame.
                      Yes it should. If I remember correctly when GD has an axle option when ordering the higher weight axle they do change the weight rating when the unit is weighed after completion at the factory. However it will not change the GVW of the RV.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You could ask Grand Design if they increase GVWR noted on the label when they upgrade the suspension. If suspension is the limiting factor, this would make sense. However, if the "weakest link" is something else, GVWR will not change.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well, I suppose it is possible. If GD/LCI actually do nothing else when building a trailer with the 8K option other than bolting on bigger axle/spring assy's. But they may do a little strengthening like frame gusseting or beefing up spring mounts. That was my thinking with my original comment.

After you get the IS, I'd be interested in your review of how it affects the towing experience.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                          X