changing lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing lug nuts

I have a 2018 Solitude 310gk. I just had new tires put on and was going to retorque the wheels. I noticed that a couple of lug nuts had what appeared to be a plastic cover over them and would move back and forth. I would like to replace all the lug nuts. Can I do 1 at a time with the tires all on the ground i.e. not jacking the rig up?

TSRig

What looks like a plastic cover on the lug nuts is likely a thin stainless steel cover over a steel lug nut. Lug nuts should always be installed/removed with a 6 point socket. Using a 12 point socket will tear off the outer cover (as has happened to your lug nuts). Replacing lug nuts one-at-a-time as you describe should work . . . but it would be better to lift the tire off the ground and replace all nuts at the same time using a torque wrench and the proper sequence. Remember to re-torque the new lug nuts after about 100 miles.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for that - I just checked and it is a 6 point deep impact socket that I tried to use. On the lug nuts that were wiggly, the socket actually got stuck in there. Perhaps the covers were damaged when the new tires were installed. In your opinion should those lug nuts be replaced and if you do 2 or 3 do they all have to be done? Is there different types of lug nuts that I need to be aware of?

Comment

Replacement lug nuts should match thread pitch, hex size and length of the original nuts. If some are visibly damaged (probably during the tire change as you surmise) then all are likely damaged to some degree,. I would replace them all. You can get chrome plated steel or stainless steel lug nuts. The chrome plated steel ones are stronger and cheaper. Look for complete sets on Amazon.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Using an impact wrench on the "covered" lug nuts will damage them over time. I use a breaker bar to loosen and torque wrench to tighten, helps save the lug nuts.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TSRig View Post
            I have a 2018 Solitude 310gk. I just had new tires put on and was going to retorque the wheels. I noticed that a couple of lug nuts had what appeared to be a plastic cover over them and would move back and forth. I would like to replace all the lug nuts. Can I do 1 at a time with the tires all on the ground i.e. not jacking the rig up?
            I will present my thoughts based on working as a mechanic at GM dealerships, working for GM, and removing tires from 1000s of vehicles for the past 40+ years with hand tools and pneumatic impacts.....always use the six point sockets as Rob noted. I don't see a problem with removing one lugnut at a time with the wheel on the ground providing you snug them all up when all lug nuts are replaced. Then use your torque wrench and torque then correctly in a star pattern as specified. It's the way we used to do things in our driveways and alongside the road before we had fancy tools and such. Just make sure at the end of the day---all lug nuts are tightened and torqued to specs. Brake drums are much more resilient to torquing out of order and/or over torquing than rotors are anyway....from my experience. Good luck!
            40-year Camping Enthusiast
            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

The covered lug nuts are not very robust and will eventually crack no matter how careful you are. They are covered with Chinesium.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Suggestions for new ones?
                Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
                2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
                2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
                  https://shop.mcgard.com/ Once I determined what I needed I found ZORO.com had the best price. Mine were 1/2" by 20 https://www.zoro.com/mcgard-lug-nut-...10/i/G3187439/ https://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-bulge...-of-4-lug-nuts

Hope this helps
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I've used the McGard lug nuts on 2 trailers now and they are good to go. I would replace the OEM lug nuts even before they show signs of wear. The last thing you want is to be out on a highway changing a flat and have the outer cover come off. Then no way to remove the nut.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

https://shop.mcgard.com/ Once I determined what I needed I found ZORO.com had the best price. Mine were 1/2" by 20 https://www.zoro.com/mcgard-lug-nut-...10/i/G3187439/ https://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-bulge...-of-4-lug-nuts

Hope this helps
                      Easiest way to determine pitch, etc.? I have 17" wheels.
                      Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
                      2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
                      2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Measure the diameter of the stud. If 1/2 inch, then pitch is 20 threads per inch. The studs use common dia-pitch threads.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Easiest way to determine pitch, etc.? I have 17" wheels.
                          I have seen the info on an axle data sheet. If you can get a pic of the axle tag Dexter will give you the info.
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

What COReflection describes is close to what I would do. I would remove one lug nut, install the new one and torque to spec. For the next lug nut, follow the star torque pattern repeating remove, install, torque until all are done.

Reason, 1 missing or improperly torqued nut is less likely to let the wheel move. Working in the star pattern also ensures that you are maintaining proper wheel to hub engagement through out the process.

Again after the process is completed, all should be retorqued between 75 and 200 miles, it's even better to check them a couple of times if possible to ensure nothing is changing.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X