Consensus on tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consensus on tires?

I've got a 2021 381m (3 axle, 20k gvwr). I haven't put alot of miles on my trailer, but I live in Arizona and the heat and sun aren't nice on rubber. I've started seeing superficial cracking on the sidewalls which tells me it's a good idea to change all 6 sometime soon. Especially since the stock foreign tires get a bad reputation even when new!

Is there a general concensus on what the most trouble free and reliable tires are for these things? I don't overload the trailer and I don't put on a ton of mileage. So i dont care how well they wear or maximizing every bit of ride quality or traction no matter the cost. I just want to make it to my destination safely for the next 5 years!

Thanks!
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Hi there from another Arizona tire cooker! I think I've pretty much tried every brand out there with limited success.

But before we can give you detailed opinions, it would really help if you provide the following:

1. Current tire brand
    2. Size of current tires.
    3. Load Range of current tires.

For example, lots of folks like Goodyear Endurance tires. But they only come in a limited size range.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi there from another Arizona tire cooker! I think I've pretty much tried every brand out there with limited success.

But before we can give you detailed opinions, it would really help if you provide the following:

1. Current tire brand
      2. Size of current tires.
      3. Load Range of current tires.

For example, lots of folks like Goodyear Endurance tires. But they only come in a limited size range.

Jim
      Right on. I should gave started with that!

Westlake cr960a
      St235/80r16
      load range "G 14pr"
      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post

Westlake cr960a
        St235/80r16
        load range "G 14pr"
        I'm a fan of the Sailun tire. There's a thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Westlake cr960a
          St235/80r16
          load range "G 14pr"
          It's interesting. Over the years, I've seen a lot of posts on E rated Westlake tires failing. But the G rated version has a really good history. As Howard mentions, the Sailun tires have a good reputation also.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

It's interesting. Over the years, I've seen a lot of posts on E rated Westlake tires failing. But the G rated version has a really good history. As Howard mentions, the Sailun tires have a good reputation also.

Jim
            Interesting. I'll have to start trying to notice if it's the 2 axle or 3 axle ones that are always shown shredded on my feed from others.
            2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Interesting. I'll have to start trying to notice if it's the 2 axle or 3 axle ones that are always shown shredded on my feed from others.
              If you see a trend on G rated failures, please share it with me so I can add it to my list. It never hurts to have the latest info.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I've got a 2021 381m (3 axle, 20k gvwr). I haven't put alot of miles on my trailer, but I live in Arizona and the heat and sun aren't nice on rubber. I've started seeing superficial cracking on the sidewalls which tells me it's a good idea to change all 6 sometime soon. Especially since the stock foreign tires get a bad reputation even when new!

Is there a general concensus on what the most trouble free and reliable tires are for these things? I don't overload the trailer and I don't put on a ton of mileage. So i dont care how well they wear or maximizing every bit of ride quality or traction no matter the cost. I just want to make it to my destination safely for the next 5 years!

Thanks!
                Also consider covering your tires with UV resistant tire covers. This won't prevent tires from eventually degrading, but it does slow the process down. Our Goodyear Endurance tires last about 2.5-3 years with covers in the Texas sun. The covers gain us about 1 year of usable time on the tires.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Also consider covering your tires with UV resistant tire covers. This won't prevent tires from eventually degrading, but it does slow the process down. Our Goodyear Endurance tires last about 2.5-3 years with covers in the Texas sun. The covers gain us about 1 year of usable time on the tires.
                  Yep, I do that! To be fair to the tires, they are 2019 issue I think.
                  2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

I'm partial to Hercules. As said, keep tire covers on.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

I looked up his model. The current 381MS has ST215/75R17.5 Load Range H. Makes me wonder.
                      Just thinking out loud

timelinex Have you ever scaled your rig loaded and gotten individual axle loadings ?

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                        I looked up his model. The current 381MS has ST215/75R17.5 Load Range H. Makes me wonder.
                        Just thinking out loud

timelinex Have you ever scaled your rig loaded and gotten individual axle loadings ?

Keith
                        The MS is heavier with a higher pin weight.

I haven't got my individual axles scaled but I've weighed my rig many times before. If I remember correctly I was always between 18.5-19.5 with ~16.5k - 17k of that on the axles.
                        2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

I changed out my 3 year old oem tires with sidewall cracking for new Hercules 901 in 4,400lb load rating. Zero issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X