No announcement yet.

Suspension bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter said the same in our case. I wonder what MORRyde will say? I already have metal shavings on the surface grease covering the equalizers. It's not bronze flakes - steel flakes as in more wet bolt wear but this time at the equalizers which were not replaced when repairs were made though the bolts and bushings were. The new ones were all MORRyde parts. I talked to MORRyde about this and they wanted the complete story and pictures which I am hesitant to send pending GD visit in April to inspect or R&R things again. I guess I'm still very suspicious of the entire 8K set-up.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

• I am having a bit of a problem understanding all of it. Dexter says the wet bolts are a wear and tear item, so that could mean they could be bad in 6,000 miles, which makes no sense since I would think 40,000+ miles would be more understandable. 14,000 miles on mine is a bit early, and I would think Dexter would agree and give some love. It appears to me that the shackle brackets are the same (?) as what is used on the 7,000 lb axle. Thinking about that, the 8,000 lb axle uses a slightly heavier duty spring, but the trailers that have had problems, are running weights that are under what the GVWR is for the 7,000 lb axle version, not over it, and into the higher weight capability of the 8,000 lb axle version. Does the spring have more of a twisting motion, or lack thereof? I wouldn't think we are putting any more stress on the brackets.

I would think that both Morryde and Dexter told GD that the parts that are being used are fully capable of handling the weights and any additional dynamics, so who is ultimately at fault? A redesign is something that should be looked at, and ultimately GD did leave the door open on the possibility of them ponying up if Morryde or Dexter does not come through.

I do want to add, Dexter is not all "bad", when the caliper fell off its bracket due to not being bolted properly from the factory, ruining the caliper, disc, and the tire rim last year, they did pay for all the replacement parts and my labor.

Jeez, what do I get to expect next year?
      Last edited by Wileykid; 12-21-2023, 03:11 PM.
      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

• With a little luck, I'm going to have to do a deep preflight over the first two weeks in January to bring the 390 to Tn for another extended stay here . At that point, for the first time in over 4 years I will not be full timing. Suspension will be first check. At that point I will have a couple of weeks to work on anything I find. I'm interested in the DU option. I have been thinking about the steel bushings we used to use on racecars. Granted, the life expectancy of the bushing was far greater than the part it was installed in, but I think one with a .050 clearance and using anti-seize would work. Trying to remember hardness characteristics I think that an outer sleeve with a hardness factor exceeding the inner would allow for the occasionally replacement of the inner.

I really miss having a complete shop including lathes and presses and too many other things to mention.

What do y'all smarter minds think?
        Last edited by ThePowells; 12-22-2023, 08:02 PM.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

• After reading many posts on this and other forums, plus personal experience, I have decided to forgo wet bolts, EZ Flex, MORryde and other “gimmicks” and use Sumo Springs with little or no preload.
          Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post
            After reading many posts on this and other forums, plus personal experience, I have decided to forgo wet bolts, EZ Flex, MORryde and other “gimmicks” and use Sumo Springs with little or no preload.
            Rich
            I am not sure I understand your post about forgoing wet bolts and stuff. Summo springs only supplements your suspension, does not replace it, unless I am missing something here. I have Summo springs on my trailer, and still had the bolt failure, although the bolts may have been weakened prior to putting on the springs.
            2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
            2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

After reading many posts on this and other forums, plus personal experience, I have decided to forgo wet bolts, EZ Flex, MORryde and other “gimmicks” and use Sumo Springs with little or no preload.
              Rich
              If you are concluding that these other helpful and preventative suspension components are gimmicks---I think you need to continue reading or look somewhere else for your research. Most of those items help tremendously with preventing failures and with better rides and pulling comforts. In fact....there are many posts that can be found for frame and spring shackle failure after the installation of the Sumo Springs. Each person will have their success and failure stories and their preferences of what they installed and why. I don't think there is definitive and repeatable data that shows the variable combinations of what's good and what's bad.
              40-year Camping Enthusiast
              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Rich
                One other note, the efficacy of any suspension system will depend on how the RV is used. For those that pull a couple of times a year and mostly within their region, the existing suspension may be totally adequate. For those that pull long distances yearly I'm not sure if there is anything that is infallible. Best you can hope for is a longer duration (miles or time) between repairs IMHO.
                2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

• Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

One other note, the efficacy of any suspension system will depend on how the RV is used. For those that pull a couple of times a year and mostly within their region, the existing suspension may be totally adequate. For those that pull long distances yearly I'm not sure if there is anything that is infallible. Best you can hope for is a longer duration (miles or time) between repairs IMHO.
                  This ^^^^^ I just want some road ripple cushioning.
                  Rich

Edit: Looks like the Sumos won’t work, so it’s stock suspension and I’ll repair as needed.
                  Last edited by guest2; 01-17-2024, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X