Which Sumo Springs & When to Replace/Upgrade Axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Sumo Springs & When to Replace/Upgrade Axles

Greetings - In the last year I have replaced my (2017, 303RLS fifth wheel) springs, equalizers (Road Armor), wet bolts and shackles (MorRyde). Everything is running great. I am thinking of adding Sumo Springs to enhance the suspension and want to make sure I purchase the correct ones. I am looking at this one (https://www.etrailer.com/p-SS26MV.html). It says 5k to 8k in the description so does that correspond to the 5200 axles? I know the trailer is 11,995lbs GAWR and 2400lbs cargo capacity but I do not know how that fits into the specification for the Sumo Springs? Any thoughts here? Question #2 is...When do you consider replacing/upgrading axles? My trailer was built in 11/2016 and I bought it after it had one other owner for one year. I am estimating I have about 25k miles on the trailer. I keep it in covered storage. The axles are showing a little scaley-rust around the u-bolts which I am guessing is normal due to proximity to the wheels. Any thoughts on life-expectancy for the axles? Sorry for the 2-question post...was not sure I should have 2 separate posts.
    Andy
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

Originally posted by Andy+Mo View Post
    Greetings - In the last year I have replaced my (2017, 303RLS fifth wheel) springs, equalizers (Road Armor), wet bolts and shackles (MorRyde). Everything is running great. I am thinking of adding Sumo Springs to enhance the suspension and want to make sure I purchase the correct ones. I am looking at this one (https://www.etrailer.com/p-SS26MV.html). It says 5k to 8k in the description so does that correspond to the 5200 axles? I know the trailer is 11,995lbs GAWR and 2400lbs cargo capacity but I do not know how that fits into the specification for the Sumo Springs? Any thoughts here? Question #2 is...When do you consider replacing/upgrading axles? My trailer was built in 11/2016 and I bought it after it had one other owner for one year. I am estimating I have about 25k miles on the trailer. I keep it in covered storage. The axles are showing a little scaley-rust around the u-bolts which I am guessing is normal due to proximity to the wheels. Any thoughts on life-expectancy for the axles? Sorry for the 2-question post...was not sure I should have 2 separate posts.
    Good morning.

You can go directly to this link to get information about fitment directly from the company. Short answer is that with a 5,200# axle, the 5K to 8K springs may work as long as the mounting plate and spring to frame measurements are correct.

https://www.superspringsinternationa...r-sumosprings/

Axles rarely need routine replacement. Typically, they are replaced if a spindle gets bent due to a road hazard or misalignment when they are manufactured. This manifests itself by poor tire wear. If you are seeing rust, I'd address that right away by wire brushing it and then coating the area with Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Andy,

Sumo has two trailer spring alternatives that divide at 5000 lb axle capacity . . . right where our 5200 lb axles are on the 303s. The blue "40" and the black "47". I went with the black 47s which fit my 2015 303 correctly and have worked well for the past two years.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.33.57 AM.png
Views:	361
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	124015
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I too went with the TSS-107-47​ They should fit fine. https://www.superspringsinternationa...s/#spring-over They are the manufacturer. They have a sale going on right now too. 25% off They have great customer service

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Gentlemen - thanks a ton for the input. I ordered my 47s this evening. I am not super mechanically inclined but watching the installation video I think this should be fairly easy. I know the gap between the spring pack and frame is fine (measured a couple of days ago) so I should have no problem. I have the trailer in storage so it will be a little chilly but I think I can get it done before we head to Florida in January. And thanks for the advice on the Rust Reformer. I try to do a rust treatment every other year so I will hit the axles near the wheels when things warm up in the spring. Thanks a bunch!!!!
          Andy
          2017 Reflection 303RLS
          2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

Comment

Gentlemen - thanks a ton for the input. I ordered my 47s this evening. I am not super mechanically inclined but watching the installation video I think this should be fairly easy. I know the gap between the spring pack and frame is fine (measured a couple of days ago) so I should have no problem. I have the trailer in storage so it will be a little chilly but I think I can get it done before we head to Florida in January. And thanks for the advice on the Rust Reformer. I try to do a rust treatment every other year so I will hit the axles near the wheels when things warm up in the spring. Thanks a bunch!!!!
            The hardest part of the install is lifting the trailer up. You do not need to lift it off the wheels, just create enough space for the springs.
            2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
            2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

This thread might help you https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-107-47/page2 As I noted in post #13 and #20 pay attention the the bracket orientation . I did not remove my tires, but some have. When I replaced my axles and reinstalled the sumo springs I had the tires off and it really sped up the installation and saved me from crawling under the trailer. Make sure you use jack stand under the frame if you go that way. Safety first.

Hope this helps
              Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

The hardest part of the install is lifting the trailer up. You do not need to lift it off the wheels, just create enough space for the springs.
                I found the hardest part squirming under the trailer....realize you forgot the wrench...squirm back out, get the wrench, slither back under..bang your head....lol

To the OP, I'm another 303RLS owner happy with the TSS-107-47 sumos.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I'm just curious if those of you who have done the sumo springs also have any difference in the cold. I don't do super cold camping, but it gets awfully cold in WI.
                  2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccreed View Post
                    I'm just curious if those of you who have done the sumo springs also have any difference in the cold. I don't do super cold camping, but it gets awfully cold in WI.
                    I'm north west of you on the other side of Lake Superior. Likely gets a little colder here. Last February I can't say I noticed a difference in sumo behavior. We were towing in about -15*C temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                      I'm north west of you on the other side of Lake Superior. Likely gets a little colder here. Last February I can't say I noticed a difference in sumo behavior. We were towing in about -15*C temps.
                      would you say the sumo springs are worth the money?
                      2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

I know your asking Scott, but I think the are. Also right now they are on sale from the manufacturer.at 24% off https://www.superspringsinternationa...s/#spring-over Code JourneyInto24

Comment

I believe they are. They help control the sway/leaning of the trailer quite a bit and to me that makes the towing experience more relaxing. They probably help the leaf springs from flattening out, but that's just my opinion. Others with trailers similar in age have posted about flattened springs and mine appear to be fine. I installed the sumos in the middle of our first season of ownership. I took advantage of a deal like Yoda posted about

On edit....I believe they helped out a lot on the horrible bridge transitions along our route along I35, I40, I25, I10 to Phoenix area. There were some horrendous transitions and the trailer, while still taking quite a jolt, did not cause me to struggle to stay in my lane. I think the sumos were helping out a fair bit.
                          Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-05-2023, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Other than like what has been said about the better trailer ride, I am one of the ones that had my shackle brackets fail on the road. The only way I noticed it, was the trailer wasn't tracking like it normally did (it wasn't much), the Summo took all the weight from the rear axle, potentially preventing a lot of damage. They paid for themselves with that incident, and talking to Summo, they said the spring should be fine and no need to replace it.
                            2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                            2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
                              Other than like what has been said about the better trailer ride, I am one of the ones that had my shackle brackets fail on the road. The only way I noticed it, was the trailer wasn't tracking like it normally did (it wasn't much), the Summo took all the weight from the rear axle, potentially preventing a lot of damage. They paid for themselves with that incident, and talking to Summo, they said the spring should be fine and no need to replace it.
                              Interesting. Had not thought about that situation. Thanks for the information

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X