Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORRyde IS Shocks -- Replace?

REPLACE?
    I know the manual says to inspect and replace the shocks if they are leaking or if there's anything obvious. I don't see anything wrong, but I'm considering replacing the shocks when I install new tires (and a professional Hunter alignment check).

Would you replace the shocks with the tires?

The shocks are $38 each (more below on this) and of course all four will get replaced at the same time.

Some info in case it's pertinent: the tires and shocks will have just over 30K miles on them when they are replaced and both items will be about ~5 years old.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	23 Size:	480.1 KB ID:	124909

PART INFORMATION
    The part number for the shock is U0109-030. After searching I stumbled across a Thor forum thread that states there's a Monroe substitute, part # 555001 (credit to "rynosback" and "Cummins12V98"). The latter quotes a MORryde rep specifically in post 7 stating the 555001 is a suitable substitute.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	23 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	124907

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-555001.../dp/B000C53RR6

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	23 Size:	210.9 KB ID:	124908

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-05-2023, 05:04 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Would you replace the shocks with the tires?
    Looking at the condition of the lower bushings I would say yes. These are RV shocks, and are probably weak by now. My preferred shock brand is Bilstein based on my truck experience. I have used Monroe for years and switched over - never looked back. I tried a quick cross reference, but could not find it. I am sure a place like https://www.shockwarehouse.com might be able to help.. They have the Monroe too - slightly cheaper https://www.shockwarehouse.com/produ...5001-gasmagnum

Keith

Last edited by howson; 12-05-2023, 04:57 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

30,000 miles is a good time to consider replacing. It will be interesting to check them once removed to see if they are still working.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

From the appearance of that shock...it is fine. But you really need to remove the shock to see if it is still good. It's not like the shocks on your driver where you can hear and/or feel when a shock wears out. Take it off and compress and extend it. If it does a good job resisting your effort, it is still good. I think you should be able to get 50-60K out of a set of shocks.
        Or if you are more of a preventative maintenance kind of guy (I think you are) rather than getting the full life of the part, spend the $160 and set yourself up for another 5 years of not worrying about your shocks.

How do the Sailuns look after 5 years? Any cracking anywhere? sidewall? between tread blocks?
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          How do the Sailuns look after 5 years? Any cracking anywhere? sidewall? between tread blocks?
          Sidewalls are perfect, and I don't take any special precautions or install covers. The odd wear pattern is another reason I'll change the shocks and get an alignment check. Post 37 in my Sailun thread has the latest update: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...235#post123235

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          ...if you are more of a preventative maintenance kind of guy (I think you are)...
          After 30 years of being a USAF aircraft maintainer--you betcha I'm a preventative maintenance guy! I'd much rather spend a few bucks and hours at home to address (preventable) issues than wait for it to inevitably break while on a trip.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

At the risk of displaying my total ignorance on the topic...will a shock on the trailer have tension on it once the wheel is off the ground? (Remember each "axle" on an IS system is independent of the others.) The regulars here may remember my hard-earned experience with the spring in the Dometic awning...I don't need another surprise.

The process in the MORryde manual reads like this is an easy task--any "gotchas"?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              At the risk of displaying my total ignorance on the topic...will a shock on the trailer have tension on it once the wheel is off the ground? (Remember each "axle" on an IS system is independent of the others.) The regulars here may remember my hard-earned experience with the spring in the Dometic awning...I don't need another surprise.

The process in the MORryde manual reads like this is an easy task--any "gotchas"?
              They say gas charged in the information. You may meed to manhandle (compress) it to get it out. If the new ones come with the strap, get it in place before cutting the strap - don't ask how I learned this.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson at $40 per shock I would replace. One less thing to think about or worry about for a few years

As far as if the shock is in tension...When I installed the Comfort Ride shocks, I did have to compress them slightly to fit them in place. It was done using just my skinny arms and hands, no tools. I would assume the Monroe shocks are probably similar....but may need a little more energy to compress them to a good installation length.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

All shocks should extend if they are in good operating order. If you can compress the shock and it does not rebound then it is junk, at least that is the way it use to be. Some larger shocks will have straps to hold them closed, as Keith stated you want to have these in position before cutting the straps, I do know this from first hand experience. I would guess that the shocks that you have will not have straps and will hold compression long enough for installation. I agree that replacing is the way to go. If the old ones still have good rebound save one for that "need it "day if it comes.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Due to the length of those studs that attach it to the mounting flanges and I am going to guess the gas preload, I'd err on the side of extreme and ratchet strap that thing in place with weight on it, remove one or both of the retainer nuts, then jack up the unit relieving pressure on the rubber torsion bushings on the IS. With the ratchet strap you can shorten the shock if needed by clicking the adjuster to help get those mile long studs out.

BTW gas preload on the shocks is about 25X more than what I remember 20 years ago, not to mention it's getting more and more unpleasant to lay under a vehicle and try to com press the shock manually with limited mobility due to limited space.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

It looks the consensus is replace the shocks which I’d be doing as well. In my experience preventative maintenance will always be better than run to failure……there is all kinds of reliability data in industry which folks are probably aware of. I’m curious what the condition of the shear springs are after 5 years and if you’ve had any issues with them.

Lance
                      Lance & Tami
                      2022 Solitude 310GK
                      Morryde IS / Disc brakes
                      2021 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax

Comment

Shocks are not necessarily pressurized by design. Many are just “dampers” designed to resist motion. Pressurizing came along as a way to minimize foaming of the oil during rapid cycling . . . but I digress. But then, some tuners figured out that they could modify spring rate by pressurizing the damper even further. It might be worth a call to MORryde to ask them if the new shocks are tied/strapped . . . which would be an indication that they are pressurized.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm thinking it's a pretty cheap shock....there will be minimal pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
                            . I’m curious what the condition of the shear springs are after 5 years and if you’ve had any issues with them.

Lance
                            I'm curious too.......shear springs??

Comment

Shear Spring replacement criteria. https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...tion-Guide.pdf

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X