Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Causes of excessive tire wear (driver's side rear inner treads)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Causes of excessive tire wear (driver's side rear inner treads)?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice about possible causes for the excessive wear on driver's side rear tire inner treads. The trailer has about 11.8K miles on it and I've kept tire inflation uniform between all the tires.

Please see the attached photo.

Thanks,
    Dave

Click image for larger version  Name:	Collage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.1 KB ID:	125115
    Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
    2022 Reflection 150 280RS
    2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension
    Companion OEM Slider set over the axle at 17"
    Leer HF650M Tonneau Cover

I just had the same thing happen to my Reflection. Turned out to be a bent spindle/Axle. Could possibly be bearings, have you checked to see if you have excessive play in the wheel hub?
    Nels & Vanessa
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

On my 2017 GDRV 297RSTS, I replaced one axle 3 times in 32,000 miles. Bent spindles caused terrible tire wear. I blame our roads for the bent spindles.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

One tire wearing as shown in your pictures is almost always a bent spindle at just that one location. You can take your trailer to a repair facility with alignment measuring equipment (not your RV dealer) but the cost of this inspection will be most of the price of a new axle.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
          Hi,

I'm looking for advice about possible causes for the excessive wear on driver's side rear tire inner treads. The trailer has about 11.8K miles on it and I've kept tire inflation uniform between all the tires.

Please see the attached photo.

Thanks,
          Dave

Click image for larger version Name:	Collage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.1 KB ID:	125115
          You probably have 4400 lb axles. I bent mine on my 220RK (do a search) and replaced both axles with 6K Dexter units - works well. These folks were very helpful in getting me the right axles, springs. https://ironbeartrailer.com/
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You probably have 4400 lb axles. I bent mine on my 220RK (do a search) and replaced both axles with 6K Dexter units - works well. These folks were very helpful in getting me the right axles, springs. https://ironbeartrailer.com/
            Yoda, I found your post. Very similar to my issue. My OEM spare hasn't been used. I was surprised the other day when I realized the tread on the spare doesn't match the tires on the trailer. If it is full size and load range E, I'll put it on for our Winter Texan trip where I'll be on a concrete pad for 60 days. I will check "toe in" there. I lubed my wet bolts yesterday. Most of them took grease, so I'll try again while in Texas.

I have a quote for X-factor braces and disc brakes from Performance Trailer Braking (Norman, OK) and am planning to stop there in the Spring for at least an inspection and bearing re-pack (now maybe axle replacement). I have 5100 pound axles and 6 on 5.5 wheels.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
            Attached Files

Comment

DaveH I had PTB do my disc brakes at the national rally a few years ago. I was getting similar wear and had them replace the axles and upgrade the size at the same time. Was not that much more than the brake upgrade as most of the labor is already sunk on the brake swap.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

DaveH

Your spare tire should be E rated the same as the ones being used. However it more than likely will be Westlake brand as GD had been putting Goodyear tires on the axles and Westlake for the spare. It will be just fine to use in place of the worn tire. I agree with the rest that the spindle is probably bent.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  DaveH I had PTB do my disc brakes at the national rally a few years ago. I was getting similar wear and had them replace the axles and upgrade the size at the same time. Was not that much more than the brake upgrade as most of the labor is already sunk on the brake swap.
                  ncitro Did you have to buy 16" wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post

ncitro Did you have to buy 16" wheels?
                    No I kept my 15" wheels. I went from factory 5400 pound axles to 6000 pound axles. I figured since I needed to replace one anyway I might as well go up a size. I'm with Jim, the roads are rough and unfortunately they're a wear item like anything else. I put a pretty good amount of miles on every year, so it's to expected I guess. Over the years I've broken a hanger, and a spring in addition to bending the axle. Knock on wood nothing has broken since the upgrade though.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have realigned my trailer wheels twice. The shop said axles used by most trailer manufacturers are designed to the minimum, and get out of alignment easily. You can get this adjusted, but if you replace an axle, take the opportunity to go up in capacity. They are stiffer and hold alignment better. The extra cost is negligible.
                      2022 Reflection 280RS
                      2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

Looks like I’m in the boat with a few of you. After putting new tires on my 2018 Reflection 337RLS we took a 12,000-mile trip. We got home and winterized the rig when I noticed both tires on the real axel were excessively worn on the inside. I have the Dexter 6000lbs axels with drum brakes. I also checked the breaks and repacked the bearings before we left. There is no play in either wheel so all seems good except the wear. After reading the post it looks like I’d need to have the wheels aligned or more likely have the axel assembly replaced because it may be bent. So now the question, how should I go about this? I’m tempted to see if I can get an appointment at Grand Design's Service Center in Indiana as they are the ones I would trust the most. My other alternatives are to take it to a truck center and see what they say or replace it myself (if I can but I’m hesitant on that). Can anyone give me an idea on what is my best course of action and how much should I budget?
                        Last edited by Country Campers; 01-15-2024, 03:59 PM. Reason: font

Comment

LovingLife

I would guess that paying someone to do this job, around $2000. If you do it yourself around $1000. It really is not that bad if you have a flat surface and a few tools. We did one last year in a campground. Although GD might be the best option any truck/trailer center should be more than capable, the truck shop would be cheaper. If you were close to Pa I would be more than glad to help.

Brian
                          Last edited by Country Campers; 01-29-2024, 04:51 PM.
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did 2 in a hotel parking lot with basic tools and 4 jacks with a roadside mechanic and tire guy. Took us about 6 hrs working (language barrier) all in from jack up to jack down. I think I could do it faster by myself with a furniture dolly.

To me the hardest part was getting the springs aligned to the brackets on the frame.

Then the scare you to death moment is when you realize the swing shackles are facing the wrong way and you think you need to take everything back apart to fix it. Hint: Jack up the other axle until it POPS the right way.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

During my current trip, I met a couple with a 150 series Reflection who had bent axles and 6000# upgraded axles installed (and has a Schwintek/Vroom slide replacement scheduled).
                              I've done the Vroom slide out of pocket, now I have the 5200# axle/spindle issue.

At my current destination I know a couple with a 2019 standard Reflection (not a light weight series) who had to upgrade bent axles.
                              And another couple here with an M class Momentum who had an axle/suspension installation alignment related recall.

I'm wondering if I upgrade 5200# > 6000# am I likely to have the issue again (assuming no exceptional road hazards)?
                              Since I took delivery of my 2022 trailer in May of 2022 I'm going to inquire about a warranty claim.
                              The suspension/axle components are within warranty timeframe, but I think the real problem for my slide and axle issue is poor engineering (mis-application of vendor components).

For those who have had axle upgrades, how long have the upgrades been in service? Any additional issues later?

Comment

Working...
                              X