Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Causes of excessive tire wear (driver's side rear inner treads)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a small note of information on sizes of axles.

Going from a #5200 to a #6000 axle does not gain much. The outer bearing on a #6000 axle will be one size larger, which may be just 1/8 of an inch. This does not gain much as far as spindle strength goes. The springs will be stronger which will produce a harder ride for the coach. I am not saying not to do this just wanted to pass a little info so each can do a little more investigation before making a decision.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
      During my current trip, I met a couple with a 150 series Reflection who had bent axles and 6000# upgraded axles installed (and has a Schwintek/Vroom slide replacement scheduled).
      I've done the Vroom slide out of pocket, now I have the 5200# axle/spindle issue.

At my current destination I know a couple with a 2019 standard Reflection (not a light weight series) who had to upgrade bent axles.
      And another couple here with an M class Momentum who had an axle/suspension installation alignment related recall.

I'm wondering if I upgrade 5200# > 6000# am I likely to have the issue again (assuming no exceptional road hazards)?
      Since I took delivery of my 2022 trailer in May of 2022 I'm going to inquire about a warranty claim.
      The suspension/axle components are within warranty timeframe, but I think the real problem for my slide and axle issue is poor engineering (mis-application of vendor components).

For those who have had axle upgrades, how long have the upgrades been in service? Any additional issues later?
      First question, is it the tube that bent or the spindle? If it is the spindle then Brian is correct and going to a 7 or 7.5K/8K axle may not fit you current rims which I am guessing are 6 on 5.5. However if it is the tube you have options. First check your axle tag and see if it says LW on it. You can send a picture of the axle tag to Dexter and get the build sheet back too to find out. Most axles I have seen are all Light Wall. Dexter has three wall strengths LW, SW, and HW. The HW tube is 1/2" thick and that is what I had built. Its 7K tube with 6K spindle. Iron Bear Trailer out of Denver ordered them for me. I have just over 3K on the new set up and it tows beautifully with no increase in interior trailer roughness. This thread shows what I went through. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-step-by-step

Keith
      Last edited by Yoda; 01-16-2024, 01:00 AM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda

Thanks for the wall thickness info. I'd like to keep my 6 on 5.5" 15" wheels. My axles aren't marked LW, SW or HW. I'll keep that in mind though, that I could get heavier axles but with spindles for my wheels.

My axles are 1/4" greater spacing driver side. The passenger side axles are 3/8" forward of the driver side. I'm setup in a park. Maybe I should have measured on the concrete pad but while hitched (not using jacks)? I don't think they are bent. They still have more ground clearance in the center. I measure 3/8" wider between hub centers driver side, but that's from aluminum wheel with hub cover to spare no cover which may have introduced a measuring error.

I've weighed twice since my June 2022 delivery ~10,200 pounds. My gross weight rating is 10,995 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan Dimensions.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	127390 Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevation Dimensions.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	127391
        Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
        2022 Reflection 150 280RS
        2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension