Broken Leaf Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Leaf Spring

Hi Folks. I have a 2017 Reflections 337RLS fifth wheel trailer. On our way down to Arizona this past Dec. we had the front drivers side leaf spring break. To the best of my recollection we did not hit a huge pothole or any debris in the road. We were in a traffic jam and I noticed in my rearview mirror that the trailer seemed to be tracking strange. We pulled off into a Loves truck stop and this is where I discovered the broken spring. 24 hours later we were able to get both the front leaf springs replaced and we were back on the road. My questions to the group are:
    1. Is this a common occurance? Has this happened to anyone else?
    2. Not only did the top main spring break, but the other three springs broke as well. What would have caused this?
    3. The technition that fixed the springs did not use the large yellow washers when he fixed it. The bolts he had with him were not long enough use the washers. Will this be OK or do I need replace the bolts with longer ones and put the yellow washers back on.
    4. Should I replace the rear leaf springs. They are not rusted and look to be in fine condition.
    5. What should l look for when doing an inspection before we head home in the spring.

Although this in not "typical" it is common. With plenty of miles on your suspension it would be wise to replace the other springs. You should also get new longer bolts. The yellow washers are part of the Correct Track system that was used in early productions. There is a slot in the spring hanger where you would rotate the yellow washer to correct axle alignment. With out the washers your bolt will slide in that slot, not good for the bolt or the spring hanger.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Agree with Brian. Leaf springs are considered a wear item on travel trailers.

Also the large yellow washers MUST be in place for the trailer axles to be correctly tracked. Once you put them back in, you MUST measure the center to center distance of the axle and rotate the washer to correct the spacing otherwise you may have strange tire wear issues.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well, not good that it broke on you. I'm glad to hear it didn't create a problem trying to control it and you got off the hwy safely.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

As referenced earlier in this thread, the octagonal yellow plates must be used. They locate the eyebolt fore/aft. Without these, your spring would be attached to a slot with nothing to hold its position. See attached picture of an LCI Correct Track hanger.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	127442
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can't really comment on the springs, but the third picture has the brake wiring just hanging down loose. Not a good thing, and recipe for failure.
            2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
            2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Wileykid Yeah that's not a good position, but it is attached to the wires that run through the tube.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by rpaling View Post
                Hi Folks. I have a 2017 Reflections 337RLS fifth wheel trailer. On our way down to Arizona this past Dec. we had the front drivers side leaf spring break. To the best of my recollection we did not hit a huge pothole or any debris in the road. We were in a traffic jam and I noticed in my rearview mirror that the trailer seemed to be tracking strange. We pulled off into a Loves truck stop and this is where I discovered the broken spring. 24 hours later we were able to get both the front leaf springs replaced and we were back on the road. My questions to the group are:
                1. Is this a common occurance? Has this happened to anyone else?
                2. Not only did the top main spring break, but the other three springs broke as well. What would have caused this?
                3. The technition that fixed the springs did not use the large yellow washers when he fixed it. The bolts he had with him were not long enough use the washers. Will this be OK or do I need replace the bolts with longer ones and put the yellow washers back on.
                4. Should I replace the rear leaf springs. They are not rusted and look to be in fine condition.
                5. What should l look for when doing an inspection before we head home in the spring.
                Country Campers Cate&Rob Jlawles2 ScottnCindy
                Sorry to hear about the springs and I agree the yellow alignment spacer must be in. To find a local source for you bolts, check with any major equipment trailer dealer (Not RV) or truck frame shop. The truck frame repair shop may be able to replace the bolts and align for you.too.

However when I look at the last photo of the spring bolted to the hanger without the yellow alignment spacer I believe I see a crack at the top of the gusset plate, and some sort of delamination​ on the top of the lower flange. (Guys am I correct or am I seeing things?) It could be the paint pealing, but it is a thin sliver of material that goes through the gusset. On the right it is bowed up and on the left it it shows just above the lower flange. So if you do have a good truck frame shop in your area see if the can do a frame inspection for cracks.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, I think that is the frame painting peeling off. Look at the verticals on the hanger brackets, you see the same thing.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Yoda Keith, I think that is the frame painting peeling off. Look at the verticals on the hanger brackets, you see the same thing.
                    Probably right, but notice they did not remove the paint before welding (its pealing between the gusset welds). With all that rust I would recommend a good cleaning and inspection though.and treating the rust

Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I don't want to seem like I'm piling on, but this suspension needs some deep inspection and work. If it were mine, here's how I'd approach it.

1. Completely disassemble the suspension for inspection and rework.
                      2. Sand blast the current hangers, inspect for cracks, and paint with a rust inhibiting paint.
                      3. Replace all springs. The original springs are showing the classic "W" sag and probably were over-stressed when the other spring failed.
                      4. Install new bushings.
                      5. Install new shackles. The existing shackles are the thin LCI version which wear quickly.
                      6. Install wet bolts. The existing bolts are standard bolts which I find surprising. Most GDRV units I've seen with the Equa Flex equalizers had wet bolts. MorRyde sells a a wet bolt kit that includes longer bolts for the Correct Track alignment plates.
                      7. Reinstall the Correct Track plates. You can use the photos to try and orient them in the same position they were originally in for a starting position.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Unless your suspension was aligned using the Correct Track system . . . and the vast majority never were, which is why the system was abandoned . . . the yellow octagon plates were centred with equal distance on each side of the bolt. This would be a good starting point for replacing these with the new longer wet bolts.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had the Correct Track system on my last Keystone Montana and liked it. I had an alignment problem with one of my tires and with a tape measure and some string---found out what I needed to spin with those octagon alignment plates. I was able to re-align, rotate the tires, and stop the abnormal tire wear. For me it worked great and kept me from doing anything drastic with bending axles or visiting a truck/trailer alignment shop.
                          40-year Camping Enthusiast
                          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

COReflection Certainly nothing wrong with the Correct Track design and intent . . . except perhaps the long and flexible hangers. LCI had a plan that RV dealers would buy their laser alignment system to go with Correct Track. As I understand it, they had near zero interest from RV dealers and without that part of the plan, they abandoned the more expensive adjustable alignment system. I think you can still buy an aftermarket Correct Track add-on . . . but, that makes your hangers really tall and flexible.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My neighbor has a Grand Design 2600RB and has broken two different leaf springs. After the second one broke he upgraded all four springs to the next weight level ones. On my 2670MK I added Sumo Springs to all four leaf springs to cushion the ride and take some of the load off the springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X