Broken Leaf Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RubiconMike View Post
    My neighbor has a Grand Design 2600RB and has broken two different leaf springs. After the second one broke he upgraded all four springs to the next weight level ones. On my 2670MK I added Sumo Springs to all four leaf springs to cushion the ride and take some of the load off the springs.
    The previous owner of my rig had gone overkill and installed 8 leaf springs where stock was 6. Still had one break the first night. I'm not sure how long the new springs were on, but with the premium paid over standard I'd hope they last at least 2x as long
    ​​​
    2017 Ram 3500
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2018 Ford Fiesta ST
    2012 Triumph Street Triple R

Comment

I am not sure why they put 8 pack springs on your rig. There should be a sticker on the axle tube that states the axle weight, and springs. Also did you contact GD to let them know you are the new owner of the RV?

I have talked to a lot of owners of 3 axle GD's and they all said that you need to make large arc turns, especially backing up. The 3 axles do not like to turn tight and it is hard on the suspension.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by RubiconMike View Post
        My neighbor has a Grand Design 2600RB and has broken two different leaf springs. After the second one broke he upgraded all four springs to the next weight level ones. On my 2670MK I added Sumo Springs to all four leaf springs to cushion the ride and take some of the load off the springs.
        Mike, I need to replace my suspension immediately and wonder what recommendations or suggestions you may have for us based on your own experience. You mentioned sumo springs, and I wonder if the investment is worth the cost.

We also have an 2670mk (2021). During the past three years we have traveled close to 40.0k miles. This past week I've noticed the passenger side is sagging 1-2 inches compared to driver side. Today, I crawled under the rig and did an inspection. There are no breaks or cracks, but I can see where the tires have touched the underside of the decking. I think we are safe to complete the last 500 mile leg of our long spring journey home as long as the roads remain calm.

I am planning to hire a specialty shop to install new suspension and to inspect and maybe improve our hangers. A couple are bent and in the past we have had alignment issues.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
        Al & Ann
        F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
        Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

RubiconMike I have been reading the more recent thread regarding Sumo springs. Very interesting dialogue.
          Al & Ann
          F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
          Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Although this in not "typical" it is common. With plenty of miles on your suspension it would be wise to replace the other springs.
            Brian
            How old or how many miles would you consider a preventative maintenance replacement? Or would you go by arc? or rather lack of arc?
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              How old or how many miles would you consider a preventative maintenance replacement? Or would you go by arc? or rather lack of arc?
              Remember way-back-when . . . we came up with a way to measure "loaded spring arch". This would be a much better way to evaluate spring condition than "they kinda sorta look flat". https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-height-how-to

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think I would go by the arc but if I were living and traveling full time I might do a every 3 years type thing just because I would hope it would be preventative. Weekenders, like myself mostly, I would just watch the arc. I asked Dexter at the National Rally one time and they said "watch the smile". Mine are slowly going flat and I may replace them sometime this year, just because.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I broke one after three years, probably close to 30-40,000 miles. I replaced the axles and all the springs shortly after that when I did my disc brake upgrade (had a bent spindle as well so figured best to replace it all).
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have a GD Imagine 3170bh. Goes about 9k - 92000 fully loaded with wife, 3 kids and stuff. Broke a rear spring in NC last year driving back from WDW to NY. Found a great guy who replaced the rear two with an upgrade one, 5 springs vs OEM 4. Lucky the broken spring was sitting on the frame so I could drive it to the shop. Think it happened during a tight turn in sister in laws cul-de-sac. Any idea where GD has the specs of these springs? Would like to upgrade the front now.

Comment

JakeCCP

There should be a manufacture sticker on the axle tube. Contact them with the numbers on the sticker and they will give you the information that you need.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                      X