Momentum 398M Suspension Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum 398M Suspension Failure

We headed out for a two week vacation and an hour from home felt a bang, then the dash alarm came on trailer brake failure.
    The new 4000 lb suspension is failing took the brake wiring with it
    Can anyone recommend a good suspension for the 398m?
    The dealer service dept was supposed to upgrade but put the 4000 on instead.
    Thank you for any help.

Blown thru:
    2020 Momentum 398M

Originally posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    We headed out for a two week vacation and an hour from home felt a bang, then the dash alarm came on trailer brake failure.
    The new 4000 lb suspension is failing took the brake wiring with it
    Can anyone recommend a good suspension for the 398m?
    The dealer service dept was supposed to upgrade but put the 4000 on instead.
    Thank you for any help.

Blown thru:
    Sorry to read of your troubles.

It's not cheap -- and getting the installation done right can be a challenge -- but nonetheless I'm a fan of the MORRyde IS system. If you haven't read my (lengthy --sorry!) thread, it's here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ts-post-1-of-3

Howard

P.S. If you attempted to post pics they are not showing? I'd like to see exactly what failed on your current setup.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for your help:
      Starting to blow thru:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	zHKSNji.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	128872

Blown thru:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	5tSILVO.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	128873
      2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

I would make the dealer come out to you and install the correct equalizer, their mistake their fix.

I am not a fan of the Morryde equalizer products. I think the Dexter EZ Flex is better, not sure it can handle the weight though. The Lippert Center Point is an air bag equalizer and it works on our unit very well, works with the big rigs as well.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I always thought to myself the Mor-Ryde 4000 looked like a really poor design..Doesn't appear to have a safety if the rubber shears..

I agree with Brian, look into EZ-flex or other non mor-ryde equalizer
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thank you.

Dealer is ignoring us.
            2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Dive Bar Casanova This does not help your issue at all, but just FYI the SRE4000 is not 4000 pound rated, its got 4" of travel. Thats opposed to the CRE3000 which has 3" of travel and was probably stock on your trailer. The 4000 is rated for up to 7000 pound axles. I used to run the 4000 and was very happy with it, until I got a screaming deal on the center point air system Brian referenced, which I have also been very happy with. I think we moved my 4000 to WondersAwait and he is still using it, with no issue. Both of our trailers are quite a bit lighter than your Momentum, so that might be the difference, but wanted to give you another data point.

If you are looking for another solution the Center Point has been great, and I know the SRT team runs it on their service trailers which I believe are significantly heavier than our RVs. If it holds up to the miles they put on and the weight they carry then thats a huge vote of confidence for me.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
                Thank you.

Dealer is ignoring us.
                I really don't understand the customer service philosophy that so many dealers seem to have.
                I feel for you Dive Bar, I remember you had a tough time in Quartzsite with hydraulics last year. Hope you get some trouble free miles in soon.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I would doubt that trailer weight is the cause of your new equalizer failure (unless you hit some really rough roads). Look for other causes before you replace just the equalizer(s). I am not endorsing MorRyde suspension(s) but even their product should do better than shown in your pictures if properly installed and if there are no other mis-assembled or damaged suspension components. Similar to earlier comments, I have had good experience with the Lippert CenterPoint airbag equalizer . . . albeit, on a considerably smaller 5th wheel.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

No fail safe feature no catch a failure . If the cushion separates it collapses. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	129344 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	129343
                    Attached Files
                    2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Yep, and that is one of the reasons why I do not like those equalizers.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Simi Valley Ca to Ridgecrest and back all normal paved roads 280 miles total use. They simply either failed or are failing.

The mfg has stated they have discontinued them.

Neighbor on the next block experienced the same with his 398m.
                        2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Here is some information on the Dexter EZ-Flex. Looks like it is rated up to 8K axles. https://www.dexteraxle.com/Dexter-E-Z-Flex Dexter says up to 3 axles Dexter instruction sheet indicates which kit you need https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ctionSheet.pdf
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Wow, a bunch of Morryde haters

I have the CRE3000's. We have around 10,000 miles on them without any issues. I was considering the SRE4000's but went with the 3000's based on cost. Looks like my cheap side made a good decision.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Looking at the failure and having very little elastomer design, it almost appears there is either a bad batch of rubber or there is too much between the parts.

Going forward, The traditional triangular equalizer is not an equalizer, it becomes biased as one end of the triangle rises and the other lowers changing the distance from the pivot as one increase and one decreases. The shorter distance will always carry more load. But that's a completely different subject.

I did a quick look and ran across these: https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-le...lizer-bar-eqr2 now this is a true equalizer that will keep the loading the same as one or the other end rotates. Why do they not use this system? My best guess is clearance. you have the swing shackle length to deal with above the equalizer meaning the hanger needs to get longer.

Also ran across this design https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...e/TREQ105.html which again is more a a true equalizer, but eliminating the swing shackle on the equalizer means one side changes differently that the other. Also note the pivot bolt is not on the same center line as the spring bolts.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X