No announcement yet.

Upgraded Suspension Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info . Will be putting around 3k of travel on it in a month will make further adjustments then.
    only had it out for about 1k this week.
    Not sure of tube size will get spec shortly on the build sheet as you suggested.
    As far as the Sumo on it they don’t even touch the frame . Old ones from the 4400 axles.
    Will keep you posted, I know I’ll like the extra brakes in the west and into Canada again.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Well...it is quite related to the first post. He wants to know if the upgrades are good. I suggested yes, You suggested no...about the sumos....will have to see how it shakes out. Are they good? Are they bad? Lets see where it goes.
      I don't know Scott. Does this make you an optimistic pessimist or a pessimistic optimist.on the sumo spring use? If I get board I just might do a bit of Duck Duck Go-ing Google as too many adds now.

@Rolltide2524​ Have you ordered everything yet. If not instead of E-trailer, order them direct from https://www.superspringsinternationa...3&gad_source=1​ They usually have a discount coupon, so call.. If I read correctly you already have the axles and springs - correct?

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I don't know Scott. Does this make you an optimistic pessimist or a pessimistic optimist.on the sumo spring use? If I get board I just might do a bit of Duck Duck Go-ing Google as too many adds now.

@Rolltide2524​ Have you ordered everything yet. If not instead of E-trailer, order them direct from https://www.superspringsinternationa...3&gad_source=1​ They usually have a discount coupon, so call.. If I read correctly you already have the axles and springs - correct?

Keith
        Well, I'm completely open to good data. Second hand and third hand info...not so much. I have a tough time at the moment thinking plastic sumo springs tore open a steel i-beam...but I will remain open minded. I also think if the spring range of motion was uninhibited it would rip hangers out of the frame. And lots have done just that. Automotive applications only anchor one end of the leafs.
        At the moment with the info I have available to me.....which, admittedly is rather thin on good data...I would buy and install sumos on a new trailer tomorrow. By the time this thread is concluded that opinion may change...but today is not that day!!!! (Think Lord of the Rings and Aragorn)...lol
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I know for me...I've read far too many reports of cracked or damaged frames and hangers associated with Sumo Springs and I would never install them. I went with Comfort Ride shocks instead and love them. Many of the reports may not have conclusive evidence or data on why the Sumo Springs are not recommended...but there's a growing number of reports on many of the forums to ignore IMHO. Just my two cents.....
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

You would think . . . with all these “reports” . . . that someone would have a picture of a frame failure caused by Sumo springs. I’m still looking. I purposely chose Sumos over the shock absorber alternatives because I did not want to drill mounting holes in my frame rails, particularly in the lower flange.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post
              I know for me...I've read far too many reports of cracked or damaged frames and hangers associated with Sumo Springs
              I've never seen one first hand report yet...

2021 303RLS

Comment

Look at what happened to my frame on the Alaska trip. Sumo's installed (probably save my hiney) with the recommend preload and all the cracks were all associated to the hangers or where Lippert welded cross bracing to the web in flex areas with improperly located gussets. If there was going to be Sumo damage it should have shown up above the impact points which it did not. I too would love to see and actual picture of a failure to the web or flange above a sumo install. Otherwise it is speculation, especially with the testing the sumo folks did..

Just my 02 and BTW I am an Engineer (civil) and at one time was certified as a weld inspector for enbrittled steel structures (bridges). I inspected a lot of cracks in my lifetime as even then they learned the hard way over time of how not to connect to the web. That's the time before x=ray inspection came around.
                But I will admit I hated the structures courses, especially compound beams, but give me the loads and I can get you a great riveted connection, well I used to be able too - CRS impaired now., but please don't ask me to use my slide rule.

However I am open to new information never too old to learn something new.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  On one it cracked the beam directly above the Sumo and on one it destroyed the wall vertically in a line above the Sumo.
                  Well, this comment from Neil had me go out and check the frame above the sumos yesterday. I saw no evidence of possible cracking above the sumos....but....it looks like I may have a crack above the equalizer....both sides...same spot. I haven't removed the paint from the frame because it's too cold to re-protect it so it could be just cracked paint.
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Well, this comment from Neil had me go out and check the frame above the sumos yesterday. I saw no evidence of possible cracking above the sumos....but....it looks like I may have a crack above the equalizer....both sides...same spot. I haven't removed the paint from the frame because it's too cold to re-protect it so it could be just cracked paint.
                    If you can post up a couple of pictures. Is thee a gusset in the area?
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

If you can post up a couple of pictures. Is thee a gusset in the area?
                      Keith
                      I'll get a pic after the snow stops. But I'll start another thread. It may take this one in some other direction that may or may not be related to sumos and smart upgrade decisions
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

I've never seen one first hand report yet...
                        Yeah there are lots of them posted on these camper forums.....
                        40-year Camping Enthusiast
                        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

OK - I found this long video of a frame crack above a sumo spring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSsxr_vYvY Keep in mind these folks put thier rig into a ditch first (in video) also there is no sub frame or plate above the sumo spring. The spring hangers and frame are also twisted, so I really don't believe it is the sumo springs fault. Also noticed it is totally collapsed and taking all the load - and it is still in one piece.. There is another video on their site about the ditch encounter. To me it is driver error, a major OOP'S and looking for someone else.

Rolltide2524
                          I still think your fine using them on your set up.

For what it is worth

Keith

Comment

I was going to get the sumo springs since I run Timbrens on my F350 and thought it would be a good alternative to shocks. But when talking to Lippert suspension tech they said the sumo springs put stress points on frame. He does not recommend anything different to the way frame was designed. Got same answer from GD last year before all this frame damage talk started.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

Yeah there are lots of them posted on these camper forums.....
                              Well, maybe. I haven't seen any though. On the other forum a guy posted up a video of someone he didn't know that had ditched his trailer claimed it was because of sumos...All the rest are reports of 'there's lots out there'...but it's always someone they heard about or a friend's friend.
                              But I'll be looking...
                              2021 303RLS

Comment

I find it interesting that when SuperSprings did their testing, the trailer was a Momentum supplied by Grand Design. With the implied collaboration...you would think GD have known about sumo spring performance for quite a while..just fyi..
                                2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                                X