No announcement yet.

Upgraded Suspension Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was not aware of a collaboration, I thought they just happened to be using a Momentum.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      I was not aware of a collaboration, I thought they just happened to be using a Momentum.
      Maybe, in the video he says "Grand Design loaned us a double axle Momentum travel trailer" And they brought it to the Navistar proving grounds.. Doesn't necessarily mean collaboration I guess.
      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM. Reason: Got the quote wrong....
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Well, maybe. I haven't seen any though. On the other forum a guy posted up a video of someone he didn't know that had ditched his trailer claimed it was because of sumos...All the rest are reports of 'there's lots out there'...but it's always someone they heard about or a friend's friend.
        But I'll be looking...
        Yeah I read about that one too and those are not the ones that I'm calling credible. I would have to do some digging to find them again. They are out there on multiple camping forums. Most of them talk to the damage done post a Sumo Springs installation but don't definitely prove that they were the cause. For me, there are just too many coincidences that are fully unexplained and a number of vendors that are now not recommending them. If you were a new owner that had a frame warranty from GD, Lippert, or etc. and added them and something happened....it might be hard to file a warranty claim. That would cause me worry in and of itself. But that's just me....
        40-year Camping Enthusiast
        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

If you were a new owner that had a frame warranty from GD, Lippert, or etc. and added them and something happened....it might be hard to file a warranty claim. That would cause me worry in and of itself. But that's just me....
          For sure.
          I'm only on two RV forums frequently. Maybe other brands have more issues.

2021 303RLS

Comment

SuperSprings said they have received no evidence of sumos damaging any trailer frame, but have heard of some Grand Design owners saying the sumos damaged the frame without providing them with any evidence. Also said the polyurethane 'spring' and mount would crumble before there was enough force to bend or break the frame.
            Take as you will.
            2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Thanks for the follow-up Scott. It is always good to learn both sides of the discussion.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I didn't know this would garner so much interest lol. A lot of good discussion to consider
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43

I agree and may be rethinking my removal of the Sumo spring. Although GD has been adamant and others have stated seeing failures I have searched and not found any. With the input of the group here I may be just leaving them where they are and just keep an eye on things.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    acoleman43

I agree and may be rethinking my removal of the Sumo spring. Although GD has been adamant and others have stated seeing failures I have searched and not found any. With the input of the group here I may be just leaving them where they are and just keep an eye on things.

Brian
                    I'm thinking Scott'n'Wendy may be right that the sumo springs may not be under the web of the beam (centered beneath the beam) which is adding stress to an area not designed for the stress.

But, as you said, if there are no documented cases of failure do to Sumo springs, maybe it's just a myth/rumor.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      acoleman43

Brian
                      Wisdom you have gained
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

With the Summo springs on my trailer, I am pretty sure I had less damage when the shackle bolts broke.
                        2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                        2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

I have been running sumos for a few years now. They have really helped on some bad roads we have been down. I have no data to back this up but we fit a pothole outside of angel fire so hard that truck and trailer bounced enough to send my head into the headliner of the truck. Once we stopped to see how bad things were the only damage we could find was a few items were displaced and a crank out rear window came open. I believe the sumos helped minimize the impact. However I have decided to replace my suspension with slipper spring and shocks. Not because the sumos are bad but still looking for a better ride with less moving parts/maintenance and cannot afford the IS option.
                          2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by drifterranch View Post
                            I have been running sumos for a few years now. They have really helped on some bad roads we have been down. I have no data to back this up but we fit a pothole outside of angel fire so hard that truck and trailer bounced enough to send my head into the headliner of the truck. Once we stopped to see how bad things were the only damage we could find was a few items were displaced and a crank out rear window came open. I believe the sumos helped minimize the impact. However I have decided to replace my suspension with slipper spring and shocks. Not because the sumos are bad but still looking for a better ride with less moving parts/maintenance and cannot afford the IS option.
                            Just a word of warning on the slipper springs, when we were out to the factory Grand Design also talked about those. In this case (unlike the Sumo Springs) they had first hand experience, they installed them on a few trailers and took them to the proving track to try as they were evaluating them as a possible future option. The units did not even finish the testing protocol and literally self destructed on the track. They had to send a team out to pickup the parts off the track and remove the trailers to be scrapped. I do not personally know a lot about the concept or where the issue there would lie, and I firmly believe every owner should make their own informed decision, but I wanted you to hear the story and know the results of that particular test.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by drifterranch View Post
                              Neil is dead on. In rough road situations with a lot of movement slipper springs can fail - coming out of the slip end or ripping the hanger off.. Here are two articles with useful information
                              https://www.etrailer.com/faq-Slipper...on-Review.aspx
                              https://www.alltrailer.ca/2018/12/07...ich-is-better/

In a nut shell a double eye spring has two points of capture so the load is divided. Load is also transferred across the equalizer. In a slipper spring set up only one end is bolted/restrained so the force on the fixed connection is about doubled. The other issue is weight distribution. with a slipper spring set up the load is not transferred between axles. This puts added stress on each axle.and spring

Now this is just my opinion and others may have additional information

Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Just a word of warning on the slipper springs, when we were out to the factory Grand Design also talked about those. In this case (unlike the Sumo Springs) they had first hand experience, they installed them on a few trailers and took them to the proving track to try as they were evaluating them as a possible future option. The units did not even finish the testing protocol and literally self destructed on the track. They had to send a team out to pickup the parts off the track and remove the trailers to be scrapped. I do not personally know a lot about the concept or where the issue there would lie, and I firmly believe every owner should make their own informed decision, but I wanted you to hear the story and know the results of that particular test.
                                Thank you for the information, this is very helpful.
                                2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                                2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Working...
                                X