Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Keith,

$&%(*&)((_)(+)(*)*^*&%$^#^$&&^. . I would write Michelin for a definitive answer in what they recommend for an application. I sure do like their LTX Defender tires. Its true a designated ST trailer tire has a stronger side wall and a structure that is better at supporting the loads on trailers. But they cannot be used for tractive effort or on vehicles. If Michelin gives you the green light they must feel the design handles both situations.

Their verbiage does give a hint of their intentions.
    All-steel, all-wheel-position highway rib light truck tire designed to deliver exceptional mileage and retreadability for commercial/fleet operations.

​If you type in Trailer Tires on their site, you get this. No Rib tire so another hint that they are used on Trucks/Motorhomes.

https://business.michelinman.com/tires/trailer-tires

Some valuable info for all tire use. Thank you Keith in sharing the site.

https://dcadprod.azureedge.net/b2b-e...chure-e-v7.pdf

From the above document:

XPS RIB® All-steel, all-wheel-position highway rib light truck tire designed to deliver exceptional mileage and retreadability for commercial/fleet operations.

Jim
    Jim I believe they clearly mean motorizes RV's - see page 16

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim I believe they clearly mean motorizes RV's - see page 16

Keith
      Keith,

Agree. If the GY Endurance failed after a road hazard, the fact that it did not shed its tread may be a testament to the tires quality. If I had one with its tread separated and still inflated, I would consider looking elsewhere for a tire.

I moved up from a D rated tire to E rated and inflate to the same recommended pressure as the D rated tire at 65 psi. This technique provides the durability of a higher rated tire, and not being at the max sidewall pressure helps to absorb some hazards. I rarely have had to add air to the Goodyear's where they hold pressure extremely well from my experience.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        If the GY Endurance failed after a road hazard, the fact that it did not shed its tread may be a testament to the tires quality. If I had one with its tread separated and still inflated, I would consider looking elsewhere for a tire.

Jim
        This is the crux of the matter when blaming tire manufacturers imo. In 2018 We had a Marathon shred to bits on our previous trailer. It was three years old I think. Numerous people online and locally then started telling me things like "see? Marathons are crap" etc etc..
        But I have no idea if it was the tires fault or not. It may have been flat for ten miles already before it came apart (no tpms). Maybe I ran over some road debris. Maybe it just blew up - I just don't know.
        Yoda If it were me, I'd send a picture of that to GY customer service asking for what happened to your tire. For the trip you just did I don't think a single tire failure that didn't strand you is all that bad.
        See if any manufacturer would recommend putting their LT tire on your trailer over their ST. Not the tire shop salesperson, the manufacturer.
        Maybe try the Airstream forum. Some say they are using LT tires on those trailers from the factory. Of course they are also using Nev'r'Lube axles..so they might just be crazy people..lol

I know a lot of people have put the XPS Rib Michelin tire on their fivers. It was a popular choice for those that thought ST tires are no good. This was prior to the Endurance coming out and people wanted a higher speed rating than ST's offered at the time as well.
        Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 10-25-2022, 06:48 AM.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I ran the Marathon tires for years on a boat trailer. Had one beginning to separate but it was grossly over its age limit since I towed very short distances for fuel and ran them to death. GY finally moved the Marathon manufacturing to across the pond and this may have been when the issues began. Quality creep over there is a common occurrence where the supplier looks for ways to save a few pennies in spite of the spec. I like the fact that my GY Endurance and Michelin LTX tires are made on the NA continent.

Jim

Comment

The previous 5er had https://goodride-tires.com/ for tires. I will attest that one with the rim is completely MIA including the bearings, the hub and lug nuts, but that's a completely different nightmare.

The street side experienced the failure and thus had the tire replaced that was missing. Next voyage (this is one of the reasons we no longer own the unit) the curb side experienced a tire failure. Now this was unique to me and I do not have a picture, but the tire shredded radially. By the time I pulled over, it looked like someone shredded the side walls inside and out with a razor blade from the bead to the tread.

Tires were replaced with Endurance a few weeks later, and less than 12 months later the camper was replaced.

Moral, tire failures are out there on every brand. Seems like they go in cycles, one MFG gets bad rap, people switch brands and they do good for a while, then the problems move to another brand. Nature of the internet I guess.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph,

If you have not seen this take a look at what is at the top of the list.

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                This is the crux of the matter when blaming tire manufacturers imo. In 2018 We had a Marathon shred to bits on our previous trailer. It was three years old I think. Numerous people online and locally then started telling me things like "see? Marathons are crap" etc etc..
                But I have no idea if it was the tires fault or not. It may have been flat for ten miles already before it came apart (no tpms). Maybe I ran over some road debris. Maybe it just blew up - I just don't know.
                Yoda If it were me, I'd send a picture of that to GY customer service asking for what happened to your tire. For the trip you just did I don't think a single tire failure that didn't strand you is all that bad.
                See if any manufacturer would recommend putting their LT tire on your trailer over their ST. Not the tire shop salesperson, the manufacturer.
                Maybe try the Airstream forum. Some say they are using LT tires on those trailers from the factory. Of course they are also using Nev'r'Lube axles..so they might just be crazy people..lol

I know a lot of people have put the XPS Rib Michelin tire on their fivers. It was a popular choice for those that thought ST tires are no good. This was prior to the Endurance coming out and people wanted a higher speed rating than ST's offered at the time as well.
                Scott
                Discount tire verified it was a road hazard damage to the side wall casing when they looked at it. There was a separation on the inside too where the tread and sidewall meet that I could feel. The shop in Whitehorse also marked the spot when they dismounted it. As I had gotten the certificates I was refunded what I spent getting it replaced. I'm sure it was one of those Canadian pot holes , or rocks in the construction zone that moved at the last second so I could hit it Other than tread wear I think the GY Endurance is one tough tire, especial after what I drove over.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X