Westlake Tire Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TucsonJim Hi Jim,

I agree that the “flapping tread” failure mode seems to be more common on Westlake tires. This is a particularly frustrating failure because a TPMS sensor might quite likely still be showing correct inflation pressure. Monitoring tire “temperature” with a sensor on the end of the valve stem will not be of much value in knowing what is going on with tread temperatures. The only true way to measure tread temperatures is with an infrared gun immediately after pulling off the highway . . . but what would this tell you? Unless, one tire was significantly hotter than the others.

It would be interesting to track this failure mode by location. I suspect that this happens more often in your part of the continent.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can't resist another Westlake story... I used to believe that certainly they are DOT approved tires, and certainly all the Westlake failures were just amplification on social media, then it happened to three of my tires. The first swelled comically on the last cross country trip. We got it changed out in VT. See the picture of it next to an unfailed tire. No, its not over-inflated. No, it was not run under-inflated. No it was not mysteriously overloaded on that one wheel on that one axle. It had separated, nearly uniformally all the way around and was a good 4" bigger around. It is interesting that the tread wear pattern might lead you to dismiss the warning signs as under-inflation. Over the next week we started noticing that two more of the tires were beginning to swell. One day short of home, we got all the remaining tires switched out to Goodyear Endurance tires. I'm much happier now, the the Goodyears ride much better. They also ride cooler, and with less sway.

We also learned that you need a different size lug wrench for my Ford TV, the trailer, and the spare holder. Also learned you can get Amazon to deliver to your AirBnb in Vermont, but to be prepared to be scolled by the local postmaster when it comes USPS and your AirBnb does not have a mailbox.

One might also wonder, well certainly, if there were this many failures, they would be reported and recalled. Well, my tires all ended up in two tire dumps, on in Vermont, and one in Albuquerque. I doubt anyone reported a failed tire to anyone.
      . Click image for larger version  Name:	20220710_072230.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	97941 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220624_094028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	97939 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220710_082424.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.4 KB ID:	97943 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220624_094017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	97944
      Attached Files
      - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Reigniting a “tire wars” discussion . . . how unusual, LOL!
        It's like the 'favourite oil' threads...they just keep giving..lol. But I like to read them non the less.
        Sorry to see your tire trouble was so catastrophic phillmb

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of a tread shedding tire that is not a Westlake? I've not seen this on other brands and bailed after two seasons (2K miles) on the Westlake's. Also did not have an issue with them but I was not going to wait for one. The consistent failure of the bond between the casing and the tread on the Westlake's (primarily E rated) seems odd.

I hope the maniac that passed me today on I-80 out of PA at over 80 mph with a competitive trailer did not have them. LOL

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2022, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Does anyone have a pic of a tread shedding tire that is not a Westlake?
            I do not have a pic but saw it on a carlisle boat trailer tire. It did not cause any damage. A few years ago. My BIL just got home from a fishing trip and saw the pass side tire with no tread...just thread. Load range C tire. Still full air pressure.
            2021 303RLS

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of a tread shedding tire that is not a Westlake? I've not seen this on other brands and bailed after two seasons (2K miles) on the Westlake's. Also did not have an issue with them but I was not going to wait for one. The consistent failure of the bond between the casing and the tread on the Westlake's (primarily E rated) seems odd.

I hope the maniac that passed me today on I-80 out of PA at over 80 mph with a competitive trailer did not have them. LOL

Jim
              I don't have the pic you're asking for, but I've posted this one before. It's a pretty new GY Endurance that suffered road hazard damage (massive pot hole). At least it held together until I found it while doing a walk around in a rest area. The poor guy at Discount tire acted like he was handling a live hand grenade until he deflated the tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	97963
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

A nail from the road did this. TPMS saved the day. I didn't feel anything and would have kept going until the tire shredded if it weren't for the low pressure warning from the TPMS. I watch the pressure go from 57 to 23 in less than 10 seconds. Was able to reach a safe spot on the freeway and change the tire.

Of course, it started raining as soon as I pulled over :(

Friendly advice: Before you use your spare, check tire pressure. Mine was at 45 PSI. That would not have been a good day.

Name:	flat.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	97966
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I've not seen a tire shed its tread until I began seeing all the tire failures of the Westlake (primarily E rated) tires. Road hazard is one thing but for a tire to loose its tread while being fully inflated is another. Maybe this is why Goodyear chose to have less tread depth on their tires? Heat and a heavy tread may be why the gum strip is failing on the Westlake's. Or like other import tires that have been recalled by NHSA, they do not have a gum strip. The later part of this article is interesting in the brands being produced by a company with a history of high failures.

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...ina-tires.html

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Here is another article that is more recent.

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/

For those interested in passenger tires, I'll have to disagree with the recommendation on Pirelli (Scorpion) that I threw out after 8K miles. Concentricity was the issue where I finally confirmed their defect with a road force balance. Tire rack rated them as excellent. Confused in how they came up with that.
                    Installed Goodyear Comfortride which are actually round. I'm still angry. LOL

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Installed Goodyear Comfortride which are actually round. I'm still angry. LOL
                      Well aren't you a fussy consumer--expecting tires to be round.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I don't have the pic you're asking for, but I've posted this one before. It's a pretty new GY Endurance that suffered road hazard damage (massive pot hole). At least it held together until I found it while doing a walk around in a rest area. The poor guy at Discount tire acted like he was handling a live hand grenade until he deflated the tire.

Name:	Goodyear.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	97963
                        That is exactly what happen to my GY endurance on my Alaska trip except bulge was smaller and extended further to the rim.

Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

That is exactly what happen to my GY endurance on my Alaska trip except bulge was smaller and extended further to the rim.

Keith
                          Tires can become damaged if the impact is severe enough. Along with bent rims.

Jim

Comment

For what it is worth and NO I am not trying to start another ST verses LT thread. I ran across this information on the Michelin site

Evidently the XPS RIB is rated for RV use - now whether that means motor-home or trailer is up for debate, but others have posted they have emails that approve for trailers assuming they meet load capacity. Evidently Airstream is equipping new trailers with LT tires now. It's amazing what you find searching on a cold windy rainy day.

https://business.michelinman.com/tir...specifications

Only problem is I would need to go to an 85 series from my 80 and I am not sure the fit. (closes the gap between the tires to maybe 2 to 3" as the are 1.4" taller). Will haft to wait for all the repairs so I can check clearance. The only reason I looked is I am disappointed in the wear on my GY endurance - even on the tread area not affected by the bent axles. I have 12K on them and even if things gone OK I would probably see 15K to 18K before replacement.

But just for fun - if you want a lot of reading Google "can Michelin XPS Rib be used on a trailer" Lots of fun reading and the LT - ST war is alive and well out there - some down right nasty so be aware. IRV2 has a lot of discussions among the specific brand forms on thier site Also found some helpful tips on holding up the ridged foam like Rob posted.

Anyway I will go back to my corner now

Need to feed the wood stove - our main furnace is acting up.

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

$&%(*&)((_)(+)(*)*^*&%$^#^$&&^. . I would write Michelin for a definitive answer in what they recommend for an application. I sure do like their LTX Defender tires. Its true a designated ST trailer tire has a stronger side wall and a structure that is better at supporting the loads on trailers. But they cannot be used for tractive effort or on vehicles. If Michelin gives you the green light they must feel the design handles both situations.

Their verbiage does give a hint of their intentions.
                              All-steel, all-wheel-position highway rib light truck tire designed to deliver exceptional mileage and retreadability for commercial/fleet operations.

​If you type in Trailer Tires on their site, you get this. No Rib tire so another hint that they are used on Trucks/Motorhomes.

https://business.michelinman.com/tires/trailer-tires

Some valuable info for all tire use. Thank you Keith in sharing the site.

https://dcadprod.azureedge.net/b2b-e...chure-e-v7.pdf

From the above document:

XPS RIB® All-steel, all-wheel-position highway rib light truck tire designed to deliver exceptional mileage and retreadability for commercial/fleet operations.

Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yoda;n98060The only reason I looked is I am disappointed in the wear on my GY endurance -:[/QUOTE]
                                Interesting...your 220RK is much lighter than my 2006 Titanium 25E30 or my 303RLS. Neither one wore out tires. The tires on the 303 came off the titanium...they have probably about 25000miles on them now...they will age out with at least half their tread before they wear out. They are from 2018......
                                I don't think it's the Endurance tires wearing out due to construction of the tire...it may be axles...measure them up.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                                X