Best Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tires?

New to the RV world and the forums and couldn't find a search function. Just purchased a new 2021 Imagine with west lake tires on it. Was told at the camp site I need to switch out the "China bombs" asap. Just getting everyone's opinion on what they run and had best luck with. Tire size is 225/75/15 Thanks
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Originally posted by Steveng0143 View Post
    New to the RV world and the forums and couldn't find a search function. Just purchased a new 2021 Imagine with west lake tires on it. Was told at the camp site I need to switch out the "China bombs" asap. Just getting everyone's opinion on what they run and had best luck with. Tire size is 225/75/15 Thanks
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Steveng0143. When you get a chance, please check out the welcome letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members The content should help you get up to speed quickly!

For the tires...that subject is to RV forums what oil threads are to motorcycle forums. You'll get every opinion from "the sky is falling" to "been running mine for zillions of miles with no problem".

So at the end of the day it will by up to your judgment what to do--there's no definitive "right" or "wrong", no matter how passionate the responses you'll get.

Me? I swapped the Westlakes after <3K miles for Goodyear Endurances. Why? Read enough forum posts (or Facebook ) about negative experiences with E rated Westlake tires and...well...I could replace them so I did. Made a contractor with a dump trailer quite happy as he got the Westlakes cheap.

Good luck on your decision--and please post back with what you decide to do.

Howard

P.S. Bonus material: tire pressure is one of three critical components that lead to tire failure. For more info, see this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-rv-tires-fail
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

This is one owner's opinion.

Goodyear Endurance. Made in the USA. It's what I run on my travel trailer.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you are a weekend camper the Westlake will probably last you a few years , we used ours for 3 seasons with a couple long trips and had no issues. If you are planning long trips across country then at some point you may consider changing to the Goodyear Endurance , this is what changed to as well. Tire pressure is key and speed and road conditions will factor in as well. In the end if you want the piece of mind do what is best for you.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I ran 2 sets of Westlakes out to 15K miles each with no problems. I replaced them with Saliuns G rated because of the good reputation and better price. Westlakes are produced by the millions, yes in China, but to the highest standards and quality oversight. Their failure rate is miniscule compared to the numbers on the road. And with a failure you really don't know what caused the blowout. Did they just fail for no reason, or have you forgotten that curb you ran over or the pothole or the railroad tracks you took kinda fast? Anyway, just my input.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
            I ran 2 sets of Westlakes out to 15K miles each with no problems. I replaced them with Saliuns G rated because of the good reputation and better price. Westlakes are produced by the millions, yes in China, but to the highest standards and quality oversight. Their failure rate is miniscule compared to the numbers on the road. And with a failure you really don't know what caused the blowout. Did they just fail for no reason, or have you forgotten that curb you ran over or the pothole or the railroad tracks you took kinda fast? Anyway, just my input.
            I ran my Westlakes for two years and only about 2K miles and then sold them. I had the D rated versions and had only seen failures on the E rated versions on this forum as well as the other place. Could this have primarily been an application issue rather than a tire issue? Possibly, but not wanting to take any chances I sold my Westlakes and purchased E rated GY Endurance and inflated them to the inflation charts based on mass. What really pushed me into new tires was the common occurrence of tread separation with the tire remaining completely inflated and the resulting damage from the flailing rubber of the Westlakes. So while I did not experience any issues with my D rated Westlakes, I simply lost confidence in them.

So far, I've not heard of any issues with the GY Endurance tires on a coach. While this may not be statistically significant, no reported issues here is better that what we were experiencing in the past with the E rated Westlakes.

Jim

Comment

I ran the Westlakes for 3 yrs with no problems, but did go with the GY Endurance when I switched to 16" wheels.
              2018 Reflection 315RLTS
              2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Ditto on the GY Endurance. I also up-sized to 16" LR E from my stock 15" (look for thread on it if interested) Higher speed rating too. I have 5 - 15" 225/75/15E with rims if anyone is interested.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A comment to Yoda's tires / wheels for sale. I converted from 15" wheels to 16" wheels and was able to sell my 15" set on Craigslist very quickly. Met the buyer in a Safeway parking lot. Got $450 for the set with 50% wear on 5 year old tires. Buyer was putting them on a small trailer, upsizing from 14".
                  Tony G
                  2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                  2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                  KTM 250XC

Comment

I have the 2020 2600RB. Moving to storage the other day and the right front trailer tire blew out. Glad I had invested in the Tire Minder. Got off the road as the alarm sounded and prevented any damage to the trailer. The radial insides of the tire came directly through the center tread. Now I have little confidence in the other remaining 3 West Lake tires. Thinking of replacing all 4 with the Endurance tire.

Comment

Originally posted by KPEC1151 View Post
                      I have the 2020 2600RB. Moving to storage the other day and the right front trailer tire blew out. Glad I had invested in the Tire Minder. Got off the road as the alarm sounded and prevented any damage to the trailer. The radial insides of the tire came directly through the center tread. Now I have little confidence in the other remaining 3 West Lake tires. Thinking of replacing all 4 with the Endurance tire.
                      Good choice IMHO.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Endurance tires are proving to be impossible to find. I have been trying to source these without any luck. I expect that all production is going to the RV manufacturers.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X