Repack wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
    Any of you still working at the proving grounds? My daughter is an engineer at that location.
    I retired this past March. Its been a positive experience where I was one of the fortunate few that worked on some amazing projects. Engineering work in Combustion Analysis, Calibration and Drive Quality in High performance cars. Hybrids and HD Truck were my favorites. Your daughter (and you) look familiar to me but I did not know her. Thousands work there.

As far as wheel bearings and more, the techs their are the best in the world IMO. I am a bit biased though.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection at Milford.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	70052
      Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I retired this past March. Its been a positive experience where I was one of the fortunate few that worked on some amazing projects. Engineering work in Combustion Analysis, Calibration and Drive Quality in High performance cars. Hybrids and HD Truck were my favorites. Your daughter (and you) look familiar to me but I did not know her. Thousands work there.

Jim
      I got an insiders/family member tour of the Proving Grounds in August 2021, awesome place. My daughter has what many car enthusiasts would call a dream job. Her current project is on the electric Hummer. She also has the opportunity to drive the 2023 Corvette Z06. She's now talking me in to getting one.

P.S. To keep my comment somewhat related to Grand Design, here is my Reflection at the Milford Proving Grounds. It was fun driving it on GM's high speed banked track (not!)
      Last edited by Jimmer; 11-12-2021, 10:26 AM.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Jimmer

We are way off topic . . . somebody should contact a moderator about that .

Your daughter does have the "dream job" for any auto enthusiast engineer. I had that same experience (more years ago than I care to admit) working on many GM Canada Product Engineering projects that involved vehicle testing at MPG. Of course, we then went to the Desert Proving Ground in Phoenix (now closed) in August @120F and to the Canadian Cold Weather facility in Kapuskasing in January @-40F to test at the weather extremes.

I have met other Grand Design owners who have retired from careers that included the GM Milford Proving Ground . . . but, I don't know of any who are still working there.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Reflection at Milford.JPG Views:	21 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	70052

I got an insiders/family member tour of the Proving Grounds in August 2021, awesome place. My daughter has what many car enthusiasts would call a dream job. Her current project is on the electric Hummer. She also has the opportunity to drive the 2023 Corvette Z06. She's now talking me in to getting one.

P.S. To keep my comment somewhat related to Grand Design, here is my Reflection at the Milford Proving Grounds. It was fun driving it on GM's high speed banked track (not!)
          Jimmer Nice that you had a good time there. From your pic I see your in the A lot right in front of bld 16. When I was in small block car, there was rarely a day in the summer that was not doing 160mph+ calibrating and preparing those cars for production and the Nurburgring. It was a dream job where I also tested many competitive supercars.

For RV type trailers, there are many at the MPG where some are from Europe. They use surge braking and for the most part they are very utilitarian with loads of Formica on three sides of the cabinetry. They look to be high quality inside and out. These smaller trailers at around 19ft are towed primarily by four cylinder manual transmission cars in Europe where our little 4 poppers would have to launch up a 7.2% grade without clutch smoke or smell to certify. LOL.

A little RV info for those that are interested.

Moving on....

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

Thank you very much for providing this manual. Great information. I am going to be redoing my bearings following our Thanksgiving trip. Mechanically I am more than capable but I have always been unsure on the 'how tight is too tight' part on the reassembly. The steps in the manual are pretty clear and straight forward.
            Do you happen to have the bearing seal part numbers? GD Parts lookup page only has the complete axle assembly. I know I've seen them before, but couldn't immediately find them before ordering...
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
              Do you happen to have the bearing seal part numbers?
              Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-and-seal-info -- it may have what you need.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Midwest Expectations Howard's quick list is a good reference.

However if you want to verify. Assuming you have a Dexter axle. Seals are listed on page 78 https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf might take a bit of reading to figure out which hub is on the unit, but all of the information is there.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Both were great resources. Thank you kindly gents. I'm due for making a nice and greasy mess.
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post

Do you happen to have the bearing seal part numbers? GD Parts lookup page only has the complete axle assembly. I know I've seen them before, but couldn't immediately find them before ordering...
                    Also as I mentioned in post number 6, send an email to Dexter with you axle tag information (I just attached a photo), and they will send you a full build sheet on your axle including bearings, axle tube information, springs, and break information, including all part numbers. I keep it in my black folder with all of the other GD information. The axle tag will be a large sticker on the axle tube close to the center.

Hope this helps
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Also as I mentioned in post number 6, send an email to Dexter with you axle tag information (I just attached a photo), and they will send you a full build sheet on your axle including bearings, axle tube information, springs, and break information, including all part numbers. I keep it in my black folder with all of the other GD information. The axle tag will be a large sticker on the axle tube close to the center.

Hope this helps
                      Keith
                      Thank you, Much appreciated!!
                      Bob P.
                      2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
                      2020 337RLS
                      VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post

Thank you, Much appreciated!!
                        This is what it should look like
                        Axle data.pdf
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

This is what it should look like
                          [ATTACH]n78818[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks
                          I think I'll get one of those.

Edit..
                          Emailed Dexter this morning....have a spec sheet already.
                          You Da ..MAN Yoda
                          Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-14-2022, 06:49 PM.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Thanks
                            I think I'll get one of those.

Edit..
                            Emailed Dexter this morning....have a spec sheet already.
                            You Da ..MAN Yoda
                            Do you have email address that you used? I sent a request thru their website and so far, crickets!!
                            Bob P.
                            2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
                            2020 337RLS
                            VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Bob P
                              Information@dexteraxle.com
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              2021 303RLS
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8
                                I am a fan of the E Z lube hubs. I asked before my purchased, seems a lot of trailers have them standard!

Comment

Working...
                                X