Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Blocks (.com) - Observations and Concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Taking the opposite approach...can a truck be lowered without messing up the drivetrain geometry? Especially on a 4x4.
    I did this on my F350. The rear axle has a spacer in it. On my 2019 it was 4", and a F250 uses a 2" spacer. The truck even with my fifth connected had a noticeable "rake". I swapped the spacer and now it sits pretty much level when its connected. When using my Andersen, this coupled with going to slightly taller tires (still 15") I was able to raise the ball up a bit and get a bit more clearance and still tow level.

I think this was the guide I read (grab a six pack its 41 pages long lol):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-rear-end.html
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Taking the opposite approach...can a truck be lowered without messing up the drivetrain geometry? Especially on a 4x4.
      Howard,

They can. The rear is easy where shorter blocks are installed while being sure driveline angles are kept in check. Checking the driveshaft free motion is also important.

For the front, there most likely would be aftermarket kits to handle this as the rear. Custom work if needed is expensive.

Back in the day....long ago, we raised rigs for off road purposes and the blocks were used in the back, with higher arching leaf springs in the front and in some cases a longer drag link as an example of that design. Some use leafs some coils. Personally, I would look for a truck with the best ride height to avoid all the extra mods if possible.

Here is an example where a fellow just lowered the rear with shorter spring blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeptlZCDf2M

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

You may also want to look over a few different truck brands and take some measurements at the dealer. While the tall trucks look cool, they really have messed up the RV industry. And as they become taller, fuel economy decreases.

Jim
        Jim
        This last fall I did exactly that. Visited my friendly big three - tape measure and not book in hand. I also drove my dually over to be able to double check. Met a lot of no-nothing bunch of snobby sales folks. All they wanted was for me to test drive and only one knew where to look up the towing specifications and what stock they had set up for that

The following are from memory and my notes. All SRW 2020 models of various trim levels and load ratings.

Dodge 3500 SRW was at least 3"+ higher, but was softer in the tail (sat on tailgate) Drive train components sub par to GM add Ford as far as size. Diesel and Gas HP lower than what I was looking for. Front bucket seat hurt. Dash layout OK but it had a lot of blind spots (asked sales man to walk around truck) Salesman was least knowledgeable. Asked him to get the truck manager (fleet person) for better information. Not available

Chevy 3500 - and GMC 3500. GMC had better fint and finish. Good power train components. Bed height was 2.5+ higher than my 04. Bed was stiff when sat on. Tailgate down seamed higher than the Dodge for some reason. May have been where it was sitting. Chevy seat OK but I cold not get it adjusted to fit my dimensional challenges. Needed to get into the Denali trim level seat to get close. Proud of price on top trim levels. Visibility good once I figured out their mirrors. Dash layout OK. This older salesman actually understood my height issue and having the truck set up correctly for towing. Come fall with the 2022 out I may chat with him again.

Ford F350 SRW. I am biased here. Lariat 10 way seat fit me very very well, especially lumbar support. Better than my 04 King Ranch has. Drive train to me is better than GM. Bed height 2" above my 04 but sitting on tailgate bed floor seamed a bit lower then the others. Visibility around the truck better than Dodge. Sales man said it had the new lower stance, but that was only on the F250 from what I knew. Asked him to double check and he called his boss out. I was right - only F250.....but manager thought it could happen on the F350 for 2021. Haven't seen the 2021's yet to check. Fords towing specifications are slightly better than the others for the SRW. Sales manager was also aware of the height / 5th wheel concern and took time while I was there to educate the kid including how to read the door stickers. Best gas and diesel power available

So bottom line I am waiting and reading. I need the truck under the trailer to be sure of what I really need to do. As I have the Westlake E rated "sometimes bombs" I will upgrade the tries first. Then this fall double check the offerings. So folks know I have owned Chevy's before - rusted out on me, but then everything rusted in Illinois salt.

BTW - if you want a bit of humor, take a tape measure and flashlight to a truck dealers lot and start doing your stuff before the sales person get there - the look on their face as you crawl out from under a truck is priceless.

Still learning
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim
          This last fall I did exactly that. Visited my friendly big three - tape measure and not book in hand. I also drove my dually over to be able to double check. Met a lot of no-nothing bunch of snobby sales folks. All they wanted was for me to test drive and only one knew where to look up the towing specifications and what stock they had set up for that

The following are from memory and my notes. All SRW 2020 models of various trim levels and load ratings.

Dodge 3500 SRW was at least 3"+ higher, but was softer in the tail (sat on tailgate) Drive train components sub par to GM add Ford as far as size. Diesel and Gas HP lower than what I was looking for. Front bucket seat hurt. Dash layout OK but it had a lot of blind spots (asked sales man to walk around truck) Salesman was least knowledgeable. Asked him to get the truck manager (fleet person) for better information. Not available

Chevy 3500 - and GMC 3500. GMC had better fint and finish. Good power train components. Bed height was 2.5+ higher than my 04. Bed was stiff when sat on. Tailgate down seamed higher than the Dodge for some reason. May have been where it was sitting. Chevy seat OK but I cold not get it adjusted to fit my dimensional challenges. Needed to get into the Denali trim level seat to get close. Proud of price on top trim levels. Visibility good once I figured out their mirrors. Dash layout OK. This older salesman actually understood my height issue and having the truck set up correctly for towing. Come fall with the 2022 out I may chat with him again.

Ford F350 SRW. I am biased here. Lariat 10 way seat fit me very very well, especially lumbar support. Better than my 04 King Ranch has. Drive train to me is better than GM. Bed height 2" above my 04 but sitting on tailgate bed floor seamed a bit lower then the others. Visibility around the truck better than Dodge. Sales man said it had the new lower stance, but that was only on the F250 from what I knew. Asked him to double check and he called his boss out. I was right - only F250.....but manager thought it could happen on the F350 for 2021. Haven't seen the 2021's yet to check. Fords towing specifications are slightly better than the others for the SRW. Sales manager was also aware of the height / 5th wheel concern and took time while I was there to educate the kid including how to read the door stickers. Best gas and diesel power available

So bottom line I am waiting and reading. I need the truck under the trailer to be sure of what I really need to do. As I have the Westlake E rated "sometimes bombs" I will upgrade the tries first. Then this fall double check the offerings. So folks know I have owned Chevy's before - rusted out on me, but then everything rusted in Illinois salt.

BTW - if you want a bit of humor, take a tape measure and flashlight to a truck dealers lot and start doing your stuff before the sales person get there - the look on their face as you crawl out from under a truck is priceless.

Still learning
          Keith
          Well now you did it. A truck war will be ensuing. LOL.

I could put up a good debate on the powertrain and towing differences but honestly, I believe they are all good these days. Sometimes the truck just has to be comfortable and fit our profiles properly. I'm certain though that the seating adjustments can be had in a lower level truck such as in an SLT. Not trying to be a salesman but my GMC in SLT trim has all the necessary seat adjustments, height, lumbar etc.

Whatever truck you purchase, use LPS3 in all the door seams, shot in from the drains and above the bed wheel well openings. It is truly amazing it works so well. Shoot it in on a hot summer day since it will flow like water and then will thicken to a hard wax consistency.

Oh I should add. Check panels with a magnet to determine which use steel versus aluminum. Ford has moved to aluminum on some of their HD trucks where GM is using aluminum primarily in panels that can be easily replaced from what I've observed in their half ton trucks. I've not looked into their HD body structures. Also not sure what Stellantis will be doing where currently they use aluminum in their tailgate and hood on the half ton models.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I know the 1000ft/lbs of torque the Cummins puts out is enough for me...not to mention the amazing exhaust brake...let the truck wars begin lol!
            2021 Imagine 2400BH on order. 2017 RamHD Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin rolling on 37" Tires, 6" Lift.

Comment

Well now you did it. A truck war will be ensuing. LOL.

I could put up a good debate on the powertrain and towing differences but honestly, I believe they are all good these days. Sometimes the truck just has to be comfortable and fit our profiles properly. I'm certain though that the seating adjustments can be had in a lower level truck such as in an SLT. Not trying to be a salesman but my GMC in SLT trim has all the necessary seat adjustments, height, lumbar etc.

Whatever truck you purchase, use LPS3 in all the door seams, shot in from the drains and above the bed wheel well openings. It is truly amazing it works so well. Shoot it in on a hot summer day since it will flow like water and then will thicken to a hard wax consistency.

Oh I should add. Check panels with a magnet to determine which use steel versus aluminum. Ford has moved to aluminum on some of their HD trucks where GM is using aluminum primarily in panels that can be easily replaced from what I've observed in their half ton trucks. I've not looked into their HD body structures. Also not sure what Stellantis will be doing where currently they use aluminum in their tailgate and hood on the half ton models.

Jim
              Good thoughts. No war intended.

I'm just an old sorehead stuck in my ways.

Now what was the topic - yep trailer lifting blocks, etc
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Here is something to look over as well, depending on the loading needs. Been suggesting this for years where all makers need to get on board with air suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KGZO8wqpKM

For lifting blocks, I have a simple yet effective design that you can make yourself at a significant savings. This is done by integrating the block to the spring. Just need a proper saw to cut the blocks to size and a drill press.

If your interested, send me a PM and I can help you in how to make these up. I do have buddy's with a shop that cut these for me, but if you purchase the steel, the cost to cut it and drill it is minimal. And they are all steel so there are no dissimilar metals to deal with in the rust belt.

Jim
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

...all makers need to get on board with air suspension.
                  That auto-leveling on the Ram would make me seriously consider that vehicle if I was looking for a new TV. Ford needs to incorporate an auto-leveling system, as well as a usable camera system (while underway), for me to consider upgrading my SuperDuty.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                  X