No announcement yet.

Noisy Leaf Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing is everything. I just had my axles upgraded as a part of my disc brake upgrade at the rally. When they pulled the old ones apart Country Campers and I took a look at the bushings and the ones mounted to the hangers were pretty much trash. The equalizer ones were fine. These were brass (or bronze, whatever Morryde uses), replaced as a part of my upgrade to the SRE4000 Morryde system. We figure this was about three years ago and 15-20k miles. I grease them regularly, and there were signs of grease in the bushings, they were just worn out. Brian took pictures, I am sure he will post them. I would take this as a warning to inspect them occasionally, they will eventually need replacement.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We took our new Transcend 200MK for its first camp trip last week. Two days at a site that involved around 200 miles of driving round trip, much of it over rough paved roads. All four of the rebound clips had moved out of position by the time we got back home. Essentially, each clip had returned to the position I found them in on Day One. One clip all the way off, two clips nearly off, and one clip moved the opposite direction to where it is up against the next longer spring bar.

We take the trailer down for another two day camp this week. I'll take the trailer in to the selling dealer shop after that to address this, and a few other very minor problems that have revealed themselves.

All problems are extremely minor. Everything on the trailer seems to work great. There are no apparent leaks. We are very happy overall with the build quality of this trailer.
      Ruth and Patrick
      2022 Transcend 200MK
      2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

KrustyKush

I don't think that there is any way that these thin metal bands are rebound clips. They are no where strong enough to perform this function. See post 5 of this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-leaf-spring These bands are simply the location where the manufacturer puts the spring reference numbers. Some springs have true rebound clips . . . some don't.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

X2 on Robs feedback. Whether a true rebound clip is needed on a heavily loaded trailer could be debated since the springs tend to stay under load all the time. However cost is a factor and the cheap clips that come on our across the pond springs are just locators. A true military style rebound clip could be installed if someone wanted to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcr8QglqC5M

One example below:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Comp-98-2...a-568658117969

Jim

Comment

We've got around 500 miles on the 200MK now. Frankly, amazed at how well put-together this trailer is. The only "fault" apart from a sticky entry door in very hot sunshine, is a clacking noise that happens only in very slow maneuvering, such as in tight turns and backing. I'm pretty sure the Blue Ox Track Pro has nothing to do with this because it happens also when using a simple non-WD hitch that I use for parking the trailer in my driveway. The wife, while ground guiding me in, sez the noise is distinctly coming from the wheels area, and sounds to her like "leaf spring noise" (her late hubby was a big rig driver). Crawling under the trailer I can see quite a lot of sidewise clearance between the springs and the mount points on the trailer. I figure the springs are moving side to side, making the noise. But I could be wrong. I don't know much.

The four "rebound clips" continue to migrate. I have tapped them back into position a couple of times now, but after 100 miles they have migrated back to nearly off the spring pack. Considering this trailer was pulled last month all the way from the factory with the rebound clips hanging off, it probably is a non-problem. But I will bring it to the attention of the dealer shop next month, already got an appointment.

I expected to find several problems with the trailer. But everything in it works as it should, there are no leaks, no squeaks, nothing falling apart (yet). Good job, Grand Design!
            Ruth and Patrick
            2022 Transcend 200MK
            2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

Working...
            X