No announcement yet.

Timing for repacking wheel bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that tip to check the U bolt torque. Was not on my radar but prepping for big winter trip tomorrow. I’ll add it to my list. Book says 65 ft lbs for my 5200 lb axles. Love the forum for good stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Scott,

Full force can range widely based on strength, and weight of the tech where a torque wrench gets it perfect every time. But folks can do what they feel is best.

Checking U bolts is very important, especially when new. A torque wrench on those is critical IMO.

Jim
      Great reminder, checking U bolts was another thing on my list to do and it slipped my mind. I was planning to get under there anyway to borescope the interior of the brake drums so I can knock out two items while doing so.
      Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
      TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

It is important to understand the purpose of torquing the spindle nut to 50 lb-ft after reassembly. This is to make sure that bearings and races are seated properly and aligned. Thus, this step is most important if a race and bearing have been replaced. I rotate the hub slowly while increasing the torque slowly and about the time I reach 50 lb-ft, I can't move the hub by hand. As mentioned earlier, the hub should be held in this exact position while the nut is relaxed and set to finger tight (or slightly less). It is OK to have a barely perceptible amount of play in the final position. There should be no preload. This is because once everything warms up to operating temperature, that small amount of play will be gone.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Scott,

Full force can range widely based on strength, and weight of the tech where a torque wrench gets it perfect every time. But folks can do what they feel is best.

Checking U bolts is very important, especially when new. A torque wrench on those is critical IMO.

Jim
          I understand what you are saying but Dexter doesnt seem to be worried about the slight variances since thats what they call out in their manual as well as the video I linked to.
          U-bolts are a definite on the torque wrench.
          I always set my wheel lugs initially with a torque wrench but experience has taught me that the cordless impact I carry will set them around 80 ft lbs and my breaker bar finishes the job. Even without the torque wrench I can get them + or - 2 ft lbs. Not sure if I am lucky or just that good either way it works.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Scott,

Jim
            I agree wholeheartedly. I have several torque wrenches and use them regularly. Until you use a torque wrench you don't realize how 'not very tight' 30ftlb's is.

I check my u-bolts everytime I do bearing service.

Edit***. Ha Ha...Just realized that the Truckster has the same name as me...Was kind of wondering why you were addressing me directly about using a torque wrench...lol
            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 10-19-2022, 07:33 PM.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
            X