No announcement yet.

Propane line disintegrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tigger1 That might be the right hose, you'll need to check the ends once you get out disconnected to verify.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks all for the help!

I was able to get the female brass nut off for the HWH connection. It is regular threaded, left to loosen.

After cutting the line I tried getting the male end off at the distribution block with a stubby 9/16” open wrench but that won’t move either. There’s not much room to maneuver with the sewer line in the way and now I’m wondering if the red sealant is Loctite Red. If so, it needs to be heated from reading their website. Can anybody confirm the red sealant at the distribution block?

I don’t like to give up on a project but might ultimately need to call in a mobile RV tech.
      2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
      2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      Andersen WDH
      Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
      2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
      2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

If the red sealant is hard then it's probably not a thread locker. https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...tite_5540.html is one type, but they do make a red pipe dope.

I know there are a few companies that make pre install sealants and thread lockers that get hard (aerobic vs anaerobic). search for aerobic thread sealer came back with this: https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-Hard-...008HPVE8W?th=1
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

If heat does not work, try cutting the crimp withe a dremel cutting tool (split lengthwise and peal back) and then you might be able to get a deep socket (6 pt) on the nut. Good luck

I just thought of something. I saw my neighbor do on a badly rusted bolt. He heated the fitting as hot as possible, then placed dry Ice on the bolt head. In other words expanded the thread hole and shrunk the bolt. It worked for him
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, I'd be a bit leery of doing that with all of the fittings in that AL block. The al expands about 20% faster than the brass and you could break the seal loose on the other fittings.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Yoda Keith, I'd be a bit leery of doing that with all of the fittings in that AL block. The al expands about 20% faster than the brass and you could break the seal loose on the other fittings.
              Yep - had not thought of that. Thanks for catching it.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I called Grand Design’s parts department and they are going to order a new line for me for $46 custom made by Flextech, which is the name on the distribution block. They will also inquire what type sealant was used that is reddish color and let me know but didn’t think it was Loctite but will confirm. The lady said Flextech supplies the distribution block and hoses as an assembly with all the lines already attached. It will take 2-3 weeks for the new line. I got an estimate earlier today from a mobile RV tech to come to the campground we are currently staying, remove the hose and take it to a local gas company to have a new one made. Then come back next Monday or Tuesday and install it; cost between $500-$600.
                2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                Andersen WDH
                2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Tigger1 I wonder if you can go to the local gas company and have one made cheaper? I hope most of the cost is the Tech's fee's for showing up and working. There is also going to be markup on the line itself.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I definitely had an additional line made for mine at a local propane company, was very inexpensive.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Couldn't you use a standard 5 or 6 ft braided propane hose? They're readily available at big box HW stores or on line. They usually have threaded 3/8 SAE OD (1/4 ID) male to NPT female for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/MCAMPAS-Appli...zcF9tdGY&psc=1
                      2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Tigger1 That's probably just a black silicone. I like https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-10026-...hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=11811107958108930311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qm t=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027814&h v targid=pla-308490592451&psc=1 as it's a bit thicker than normal silicon and it will bridge a pretty good gap.​
                        @Jlawles2 ​Thanks.
                        I was wondering the same thing. It is $14.55 for one 10.5 oz at the link you have ... or you can get two for $14.92 😃 at the following link https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-10026-...s%2C166&sr=8-2
                        both are sold by Amazon.

Any recommendations for the black expanding foam? I'm thinking of using the HD stuff but it may not have the same insulating properties as what GD uses.

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the coloplast along the rear to fix a water leak that sprang up near the water heater... 🙁
                        Earl
                        2022 Imagine 22RBE
                        2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
                        Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Wanted to give an update on this if it can help others down the road.

Grand Design parts confirmed the red sealant used by Flex Tech is Hernon threadlocker and not Loctite red.

I decided to have a mobile RV tech come to get the line off since my attempts with a wrench were starting to round the fitting. Similar to what Yoda suggested he used a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut the crimp lengthwise then pulled the hose off. To get the fitting out of the manifold block he used an impact gun and portable compressor with a 12”-14” extension so the gun cleared the fender skirt. It came right out.

As for the hose, I’m sure there are places near me that make custom hoses but after calling a couple of propane companies with no luck I decided to stick with the hose I bought from GD parts. The tag on the hose reads as follows: LP 40” RC-5 W/ 1/4” MPT X 3/8” FFL 42” OAL (over all length). It does not have a swivel end on the male side but the tech didn’t have an issue screwing it into the manifold block. The length was very tight though without an inch to spare. He did a pressure test and all was good but I don’t feel comfortable with the hose being pulled so tight. So I called GD parts back and they are sending me a 60” hose.

To help prevent this from happening again I wrapped the lines coming off of the manifold block with aluminum foil for about 8”-10”. To keep the foil on I bought some 1” split plastic loom from Home Depot and secured it in place with electrical tape here and there.

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                          2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                          Andersen WDH
                          2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by TravelHabit View Post

@Jlawles2 ​Thanks.
                            I was wondering the same thing. It is $14.55 for one 10.5 oz at the link you have ... or you can get two for $14.92 😃 at the following link https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-10026-...s%2C166&sr=8-2
                            both are sold by Amazon.

Any recommendations for the black expanding foam? I'm thinking of using the HD stuff but it may not have the same insulating properties as what GD uses.

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the coloplast along the rear to fix a water leak that sprang up near the water heater... 🙁
                            I don't know what the black expanding foam is. There is a thread floating around where someone has the name of it. You might try searching for Coroplast sealing or replacing.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

@Jlawles2 ​Thanks.​
                              It would help if I spelled the name right!! I had incorrectly searched for "coloplast" not "coroplast" so I didn't see much... I'll try again.
                              Earl
                              2022 Imagine 22RBE
                              2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
                              Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Working...
                              X