Propane and Carbon Monoxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane and Carbon Monoxide

Excellent reference provided by colan on the topic: https://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm

Bottom line: test your detectors regularly and replace as directed by the detector's OEM. (Get your propane appliances checked, too, by a qualified technician if there's any doubt about their operation.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hello Howard, I am getting the "replacement chirps" on my bedroom Carbon Monoxide detector and getting ready to order a replacement. I was wondering if there was any wisdom in getting the dual Carbon-Smoke detector? Occassionally the smoke detector goes off when we forget to turn on the kitchen fan, or get smoke from the campsite fire-ring, so I am kinda inclined to just get the Carbon Monoxide detector for the bedroom. Thoughts?
    Andy
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

Comment

Andy+Mo

Have you replaced the battery in the detector? We replace ours every spring.

Usually the propane detector is the one that needs to be replaced more often.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Are not the carbon monoxide and propane detectors hardwired to the house batteries? Mine chirped when the battery voltage dropped after I had a problem with the converter not charging.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Smoke alarms have battery backups so that they will function even if there is a power outage, but the alarms do not charge the 9V battery so it does need to be changed yearly.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Andy+Mo

Are you referencing an RV Propane Gas Detector (usually near the floor attached to the island or somewhere in the kitchen) or the Carbon Monoxide / Smoke / Fire Alarms mounted on the ceiling?

If the latter, to my knowledge a "beeping" sound is due to a low battery (as was mentioned earlier in this thread).

If it's the propane detector you're writing about, I'm not aware of it beeping when due for a change. But the detector should be changed on a time basis as documented by TucsonJim in this excellent thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...p-gas-detector

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Alarm 1a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	132719
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

The propane detector does have an audible warning, along with the visual lights. They can both be reset to give you a chance to purchase a new one without the constant reminder.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I am talking about the carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom (ceiling). I did replace the battery but it still beeps. After examining it more closely it says 4 beeps is an end of life signal so I am just going to go ahead and replace it. I was thinking of replacing it with a dual smoke, carbon monoxide detector but I think i will just stick with the carbon monoxide.
                Andy
                2017 Reflection 303RLS
                2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy+Mo View Post
                  After examining it more closely it says 4 beeps is an end of life signal so I am just going to go ahead and replace it.
                  Hmmm...I just learned something (always a good way to start the morning!).

Do you happen to have a picture of the model that was replaced? I'm curious if there's different detectors in various models over the years.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                  X