Victron Multiplus II - Mounting Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Multiplus II - Mounting Board

I have a grand design 280RS and finding the backer board where I would hang the inverter to be NOT strong to hang a 65 pound Victron Multiplus II. What have others used in the front bay to hang the inverter?

I have considered adding a 1/2" plywood board to hand all of the solar components including the Victron inveter. I am assuming there are 2 x 4 studs behind the factor panel but I already found the DC factory bus bar is falling out since they must not have hit the studs.

Let me know if you added more weight by adding 1/2' plywood or other materials to strengthen the front bay backer board before mounting the solar components.

2023 Reflection 280RS, GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel

tmakie I don't have a 5th wheel with front bay, but I did have an exterior storage area that probably has the same construction.

I ended up removing the flimsy lauan, added 3/4" plywood, then glued the lauan to the plywood to keep the same look. I did add some additional support behind that added mor lateral support.

I attached the 50#+ multiplus to it and have had no issues at all. I did upsize the lag screws that support the multiplus because I'm a little paranoid.

In my opinion, the additional work up front is worth it in the long run to avoid any catastrophic event while on the road.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

The panel in question is only 3/8" thick and there are NO studs behind it. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood and wood screws from the back, pass through side, with large washers to hold in place. I also used 3/4" plywood on the floor of the front storage as the thin steel would not support my battery bank. The plywood on the wall sits on the plywood on the floor for added support.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Wow. 65#. That's a heavy beast to be handling within the storage compartment.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Brian / Country Camper,

​​​​​​Did you remove the existing backer board in the front compartment so that you had access to attach your 3/4" from the pass through storage side? A lot of wires for DC bus already connected and incoming / outgoing lines for auto leveling jacks, etc

Also did you find any issue with all of the added weight (60+ lb inverter, 60+ lbs of battery, plywood)).in front storage added to truck pin weight.

I have also considered laying inverter on its side on front compartment floor. It would be sturdy on floor if I added some 3/4" plywood on floor and there is a metal plate in the lower section of front compartment to screw into. I have not read anything indicating the Victron could not be set on its side.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Comment

I also added 3/4" plywood to mount all of my electrical in the front bay. I cut 2 pieces to fit and then fastened it in place to the existing thin plywood with carriage bolts. I spray painted the new plywood black to make it look a little nicer. As for wires coming through from the basement, almost all the wires coming through in my setup were on the far port side and so I had the new plywood stop about an inch short, which allowed the wires to come through as they were. With my design the battery bank is in front of that anyway so it's hidden. There is one other spot wires come through (new ones I added) in the middle where I mounted the new board first and then drilled a hole through both pieces.

You can see my entire setup here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lectrical-mods
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

tmakie I know you're not asking me...but....my changes added about 150# to my tongue weight. I think you can expect the pin to carry 80-90% of the weight you add.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

tmakie -- I removed the original backer board on the front and rear side of the passthru in my 315RLTS. I added insulation and then replaced all the coverings (glued it on the plywood prior to reinstallation) so everything looks OEM (but it's not).

Rear of passthru view...

LUAN REMOVED

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0044 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	101086

INSULATION ADDED

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0842 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.5 KB ID:	101087

ADDED COVERINGS TO PLYWOOD PRIOR TO INSTALLATION (DW Did the work!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832 (Large).jpg
Views:	689
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	101089

FRONT WALL PLYWOOD FINISHED AND INSTALLED (SAME PROCESS AS REAR WALL, FINISHED VIEW)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0851 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	101088

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I mounted plywood also, and then put a small sheet of cement board behind the inverter because its instructions stated to "mount on a fireproof surface".

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior Set Up..jpg
Views:	688
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	101093
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I mounted mine along with the batteries behind the wall in the front pass through. I built the backer out of 3/4" plywood and used a piece of aluminum behind it instead of cement board for the Fireproof surface.
                    Attached Files
                    Jim & Heidi
                    2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                    2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

JRKJR - That is one of the cleanest installs I've seen to date. Great job!

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

tmakie

In post # 1 of this thread you can see that I moved the bus bar set up to mount on top of the new backer board DC-DC Charge install Reflection 29RS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

In this thread you can see the whole back wall covered, it is multiple pieces though Victron Multiplus II 2x120v 3kva install Reflection 29RS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

As I had stated before I left the factory wall in place and used screws and washers from the pass thru storage side.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                          Wow. 65#. That's a heavy beast to be handling within the storage compartment.
                          Yes it is heavy. There is a bracket to mount that the inverter will hang on while you get screws into it, but reaching back to hang it is a little hard on the arms.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes it is heavy. There is a bracket to mount that the inverter will hang on while you get screws into it, but reaching back to hang it is a little hard on the arms.

Brian
                            I'll bet most are mounted as close to the compartment doors as possible. Not many mounted in the centre I'll bet..lol
                            I'm guessing most of the weight is a step up transformer? or?
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 303RLS
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. The description and pics were very helpful. Now I have to figure out which of the options shared will be applied to my situation. I need to take-off the panel from the pass through storage compartment (about 40 screws) to investigate further.

Comment

Working...
                              X