2024 Solitude Solar Wiring and Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Solitude Solar Wiring and Prep

When we ordered our new Solitude 310GX, we knew we were going to build our own solar charging array. The factory installed one 330W panel, but two solar roof glands. Our new solar array will require the use of two glands. The existing panel is wired to the rear gland, and terminated in the battery compartment at the MPPT controller.

As can be seen in the photo, the factory installed two roof glands. I have searched and searched for the wiring connected to the unused front gland and have been unsuccessful at finding it. Does anyone have two roof glands on their rig? And if so, do you know where the wiring is terminated if you have an unused roof gland?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Ports.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	124027

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Jim,

Just thinking out loud here.
    Have you looked overhead behind the nautilus panel?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      When we ordered our new Solitude 310GX, we knew we were going to build our own solar charging array. The factory installed one 330W panel, but two solar roof glands. Our new solar array will require the use of two glands. The existing panel is wired to the rear gland, and terminated in the battery compartment at the MPPT controller.

As can be seen in the photo, the factory installed two roof glands. I have searched and searched for the wiring connected to the unused front gland and have been unsuccessful at finding it. Does anyone have two roof glands on their rig? And if so, do you know where the wiring is terminated if you have an unused roof gland?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Solar Ports.jpg Views:	13 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	124027

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim from looking at the GD layout and interior pictures, it appears that gland is forward and to the right of the bath skylight. That would put the gland above and close enough to run down the bath/bedroom wall at the curved corner next to the entrance. However per you picture it appears to be right of that location .. From the GD pictures there appear to be a heat duct in the lower corner of that wall bedroom side and a switch above. Both of those might give you access to peak in that wall. If you have a bore scope that may help.

Now are you sure there are wires at the gland? If so you can get a tone encoder and trace inside. Some stud finders can also trace wires.

Now if all else fails and you need to install another roof gland check for room beside the black tank vent. It appears to be in the wall behind the shower. Ill bet there is a panel in the back of the pantry (for shower valve access) and access up from the pass through.

Hope this helps

Happy Thanksgiving

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Okay. I've been looking, and looking. I noticed another set of 10 gauge wires connected to the battery. I thought to myself "They didn't, or did they?". So I disconnected the wires to the battery and used an ohm meter to verify open circuit on the wires. I then hooked up a jumper wire on the roof terminals and had continuity on the wires that were originally attached to the battery.

I'm not sure if this is a dealership or factory botch, but somebody was clueless.

Case closed.
        Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-22-2023, 11:13 PM.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I noticed another set of 10 gauge wires connected to the battery. I thought to myself "They didn't, or did they?". .
          So, you're saying that someone connected a set of wires from the unused roof gland directly to the battery? No SCC, no fuse just 12 volts on the roof? WOW!

BTW, that doesn't really look like a typical solar roof gland to me from the picture, is it? Does it have MC4 connectors?
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post

So, you're saying that someone connected a set of wires from the unused roof gland directly to the battery? No SCC, no fuse just 12 volts on the roof? WOW!

BTW, that doesn't really look like a typical solar roof gland to me from the picture, is it? Does it have MC4 connectors?
            That's exactly what I'm saying. It's unknown whether this was initially done by the dealer or the factory. If an owner didn't know any better and plugged a solar panel into the MC4 connectors on the roof, they'd be sending excessive voltage to the battery with zero protection.

Those are actually pretty nice solar glands. They have a positive and negative MC4 connector on them.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Those are actually pretty nice solar glands. They have a positive and negative MC4 connector on them.
              It might be Furrion glands on your roof, Jim. Now that Lippert owns Furrion, they were/are supposed to transition from their proprietary connector to the industry-standard MC4.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

It might be Furrion glands on your roof, Jim. Now that Lippert owns Furrion, they were/are supposed to transition from their proprietary connector to the industry-standard MC4.
                I'll go up and check again Howard, but I believe they are "Jaboni". They have standard MC4 connectors.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

It is what it is...but....I figured they would give a guy like you the best they can supply Jim. You are a sort of brand ambassador after all.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                  X