Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichiganXPLOR
    replied
    Hello. Wanted to put the question on using the Furion 10Amp Solar plug on the side of my camper with a portable solar panel. It ended up being the 10Amp fuse in the wire under the tongue of the camper and now works perfectly. Thanks for the advice above!

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by MichiganXPLOR View Post
    howson and Country Campers - Thanks to both of you for responding so fast! I think what I'm taking away is that the connector (I included some screen shots from the web of the one on my camper if it makes a difference) is not fully wired into the system. While I scratch my head a little at putting the connector on the camper but not make it plug and play for the novice RV owner, I think I am following what will be needed once I can access my camper in the spring. If all else fails, my panels have been working if I connect them directly to the battery, so while not as convenient as connecting into the plug on the side of the camper, I can continue with that mode without too much trouble. Thank you again for your insight!
    Well isn't that interesting--not at all the connector I expected to see on your camper. My friend Country Campers has it right--no doubt we can sort this out in the spring. Happy New Year!

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    howson and Country Campers - Thanks to both of you for responding so fast! I think what I'm taking away is that the connector (I included some screen shots from the web of the one on my camper if it makes a difference) is not fully wired into the system. While I scratch my head a little at putting the connector on the camper but not make it plug and play for the novice RV owner, I think I am following what will be needed once I can access my camper in the spring. If all else fails, my panels have been working if I connect them directly to the battery, so while not as convenient as connecting into the plug on the side of the camper, I can continue with that mode without too much trouble. Thank you again for your insight!
    Your selling dealer installs the battery on the RV prior to purchase. Sometimes they do not attach any of the Solar wiring because many people may not use the plug in connection. It should be fairly easy to trace the wires once you get to access to the RV. I would not loose sleep over this , it will be an easy fix in the spring.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• MichiganXPLOR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    MichiganXPLOR

Wrote my last post before I read that your trailer was in storage.

I looked on Grand Design's Parts Lookup (link at top right of this forum) and I *think* this is what's on your trailer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	docking port.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	39110

What you'll probably find (as Brian suggests) is the wires that eventually come from this docking port are tucked underneath the camper. If you crawl underneath the camper on the street side and look up (where the water connection panel is) under the passthru, I bet you'll find the wires in question. Careful--some of the connections you'll find may be "live".

If you look in the Reference Material section of the Solar channel you'll find a rough drawing of how your trailer is wired. The Jaboni connector's output wires go to the input of the MPPT controller. The output of the MPPT controller goes to the battery. (I just spotted Brian has posted again as I wrote this...so I'm just repeating/reinforcing what he just wrote.)

Make sure and check the continuity of the wires before connecting them to power and ground!

Anticipating your next question...where exactly to connect depends on how your trailer is specifically wired and configured. If you are familiar with electrical wiring and can take a few pics we can sort it out. If messing with wiring causes your significant other to run for the phone ready to call 9-1-1...perhaps having your dealer or a mobile technician finish the wiring would be a more prudent approach.

Howard

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    Thanks for the insight! My camper is in storage at the moment so I don't have access to check things out. But from memory, there does not appear to be any loose wires in the pass through storage, unless they might be in the utility bank? And assuming I can find the wires, where does the connection need to occur? Do the wires just need to be attached together via connectors that are already factory installed on the wires or would they be connected in the silver box you mention underneath on the frame?
    It is my understanding that the wires connect directly to the battery or to a breaker on the inside of the trailer tongue where the battery connects. With that said there must be a charge controller between the Furrion port and the solar panel.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?
    Noted this was your first post, so when you get a chance please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter? Also, can you take a picture of the Furrion port and post it?

Leave a comment:

• MichiganXPLOR
    replied
    Thanks for the insight! My camper is in storage at the moment so I don't have access to check things out. But from memory, there does not appear to be any loose wires in the pass through storage, unless they might be in the utility bank? And assuming I can find the wires, where does the connection need to occur? Do the wires just need to be attached together via connectors that are already factory installed on the wires or would they be connected in the silver box you mention underneath on the frame?

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied

Hello Everyone! I have a very basic question on solar panels. I have a 2020 XPLOR 260RB. I have the Acopower panel and Furrion plug described in this post. The only difference is that I have the 10 amp Lithium controller since I have a 200AH Battle Born battery bank. I only charge the batteries with the panel. I have no issues using the panels if I connect them directly to the battery posts. I am having an issue using the Furrion solar port on my camper - when I plug the controller into the Furrion port the controller tells me that it is not connected to the batteries. I thought there may have been an issue with the Acopower Furrion cable, but a replacement did not solve the issue. Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?

Thanks!
    A lot of times we have found that the wires from the Furrion plug are NOT connected to the battery , they are just coiled inside the corner of the RV where the plug is. There is also a in line fuse on the positive wire , red hopefully , that you need to make sure the proper fuse size is installed , 10 or 15 amps I believe. Having a TT the wires may be down on the frame of the trailer where the cable goes into a silver box that connects to the tow vehicle.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• MichiganXPLOR
    replied
    Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I bought the Acopower 100 watt suitcase and they sent me the Furrion plug to connect to the solar port. Have owned mine for 3 years it is well built and charges up my 2 12 volt lead acid batteries. I don’t have an inverter just running some lights and the water pump, powers water heater and fridge on gas. It’s like luxury tent camping at this point have not pulled the trigger on a full solar setup mainly because it’s expensive and can’t justify the cost. We are heading out west next year for first time so perhaps will see if more off grid opportunities exist compared to the east coast and Midwest. Our boondocking is mostly Harvest Host locations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vivian
    Hello Everyone! I have a very basic question on solar panels. I have a 2020 XPLOR 260RB. I have the Acopower panel and Furrion plug described in this post. The only difference is that I have the 10 amp Lithium controller since I have a 200AH Battle Born battery bank. I only charge the batteries with the panel. I have no issues using the panels if I connect them directly to the battery posts. I am having an issue using the Furrion solar port on my camper - when I plug the controller into the Furrion port the controller tells me that it is not connected to the batteries. I thought there may have been an issue with the Acopower Furrion cable, but a replacement did not solve the issue. Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• bertschb
    replied
    Originally posted by OG1 View Post
    ... so what do any of you advise?
    I used this small 15w Battery Tender solar charger for my first two 5th wheels and it actually worked great with two lead acid batteries. It has a built in controller. I mounted it to plywood and tilted it so it was angled more towards the sun. We stored our RV's where we get quite a bit of sun and our batteries were always fully charged while in storage. At 15w, this is just a trickle charger to keep the batteries topped off. It would take a loooooooong time to charge batteries that were already low.

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    I bought the Acopower 100 watt suitcase and they sent me the Furrion plug to connect to the solar port. Have owned mine for 3 years it is well built and charges up my 2 12 volt lead acid batteries. I don’t have an inverter just running some lights and the water pump, powers water heater and fridge on gas. It’s like luxury tent camping at this point have not pulled the trigger on a full solar setup mainly because it’s expensive and can’t justify the cost. We are heading out west next year for first time so perhaps will see if more off grid opportunities exist compared to the east coast and Midwest. Our boondocking is mostly Harvest Host locations.

vivian

Leave a comment:

• OG1
    replied
    Okay guys, thanks for the advice. I will digest all this and choose a panel to help my batteries from going completely dead. I've learned it can harm the batteries when they are neglected so the panel will help keep them charged, probably save some money too. This forum is awesome....go guys rock!

Leave a comment:

• Second Chance
    replied
    Originally posted by Jh0034 View Post
    I have a question- just picked up a 2016 348m with the solar prep port on the front side. Is there a Solar system/ panel that is truly plug and play? Only looking to run lights, plugs, etc for now.
    The part of your question that caught my eye was, "... plugs, etc." Are you thinking about the 110VAC outlets? If so, a small, portable solar panel is not all you're going to need to do that. An inverter with applicable wiring and a transfer switch would have to be installed (inverters take 12VDC and make 120VAC). Without a good battery setup of and a fair amount of solar to recharge them, you won't get much AC mileage. Read through the solar sub-forum and check out the reference materials there. If this isn't what you meant by "plugs," then ignore what I've said.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    Originally posted by Jh0034 View Post
    I have a question- just picked up a 2016 348m with the solar prep port on the front side. Is there a Solar system/ panel that is truly plug and play? Only looking to run lights, plugs, etc for now.
    Welcome to the forum Jh. Glad you could join us.

Yes, that port is designed to directly accept the Furrion 95W solar panel. It's very pricey, but it is very well built and does a good job for the types of loads you're talking about. In fact, my son has one and he can go days at a time without ever having to fire up a generator to charge his batteries. I did a cursory search this morning and I didn't find a listing for that panel any more. In the past, they were close to $500!

However, you can use any brand of solar panel and connect it to the port. Here are the things you'll need to consider:

The panel should be between 90 to 120 watts.
    The panel needs to have a built in controller. (10 amp max)
    You'll need to purchase an adapter plug that will allow for the new panel to connect from it's connector to the Furrion port on the side of your trailer.

For example, here is one from Renogy for $202.
    https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Foldab...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

And here is an adapter:
    https://www.amazon.com/iGreely-Indus...3389361&sr=8-7

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X