Portable Solar Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Solar Panel

Grand Design 2019 Reflection 29RS, two 12V lead acid batteries. I'm researching portable solar panels. Neighbor RV owner at storage park said I should not go over 100W because anything more would damage the battery cells (he has a 90W solar panel). But gpelectric.com rep said I should select a 130W panel, and maybe the salesman just wanted to promote a more expensive product. This is the one I was considering: https://gpelectric.com/products/130-...ble-solar-kit/
    I am a novice to anything electric and trying to avoid the expense of a roof mount, so what do any of you advise?
    Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the forum. That 130 watt panel with a 10 amp controller will work just fine for your set up. How will you connect it to the batteries?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim is correct - that would be a great setup for you. Perhaps your storage facility neighbor doesn't have a good controller on his. The controller is designed to match the charge rate to the batteries' needs. One thing to keep in mind with a portable setup - especially in a storage facility - is security and the risk of theft. These things tend to grow legs...

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by OG1 View Post
        Grand Design 2019 Reflection 29RS, two 12V lead acid batteries. I'm researching portable solar panels. Neighbor RV owner at storage park said I should not go over 100W because anything more would damage the battery cells (he has a 90W solar panel). But gpelectric.com rep said I should select a 130W panel, and maybe the salesman just wanted to promote a more expensive product. This is the one I was considering: https://gpelectric.com/products/130-...ble-solar-kit/
        I am a novice to anything electric and trying to avoid the expense of a roof mount, so what do any of you advise?
        Thanks in advance...
        I have a GoPower roof mount system (I think it is 170 watt) and it works very well. Product is well made
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I responded on my phone last night, so my answer was pretty short. Here's a little more information.

You can hook up well over 1000 watts of solar to your batteries as long as you're running the connection through a solar controller. The Go Power unit you are referencing has it's own solar controller. It will work wonderfully.

One caution though. If you ever try to run a solar panel into the solar connection port on the side of the trailer, you should try to stay at 120 watts or smaller. The reason for this is the size of the wiring and fuse that are installed from the port to the batteries. They just aren't large enough to handle any more power. As long as you're running the output of the solar controller on your Go Power device directly to the battery terminals with the provided wire from Go Power, you'll be fine.

Jim

P.S. When you get a chance, check out the letter in the link below. We tried to put together some tips and tricks for navigating the forum.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I have a question- just picked up a 2016 348m with the solar prep port on the front side. Is there a Solar system/ panel that is truly plug and play? Only looking to run lights, plugs, etc for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jh0034 View Post
              I have a question- just picked up a 2016 348m with the solar prep port on the front side. Is there a Solar system/ panel that is truly plug and play? Only looking to run lights, plugs, etc for now.
              Welcome to the forum Jh. Glad you could join us.

Yes, that port is designed to directly accept the Furrion 95W solar panel. It's very pricey, but it is very well built and does a good job for the types of loads you're talking about. In fact, my son has one and he can go days at a time without ever having to fire up a generator to charge his batteries. I did a cursory search this morning and I didn't find a listing for that panel any more. In the past, they were close to $500!

However, you can use any brand of solar panel and connect it to the port. Here are the things you'll need to consider:

The panel should be between 90 to 120 watts.
              The panel needs to have a built in controller. (10 amp max)
              You'll need to purchase an adapter plug that will allow for the new panel to connect from it's connector to the Furrion port on the side of your trailer.

For example, here is one from Renogy for $202.
              https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Foldab...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

And here is an adapter:
              https://www.amazon.com/iGreely-Indus...3389361&sr=8-7

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by Jh0034 View Post
                The part of your question that caught my eye was, "... plugs, etc." Are you thinking about the 110VAC outlets? If so, a small, portable solar panel is not all you're going to need to do that. An inverter with applicable wiring and a transfer switch would have to be installed (inverters take 12VDC and make 120VAC). Without a good battery setup of and a fair amount of solar to recharge them, you won't get much AC mileage. Read through the solar sub-forum and check out the reference materials there. If this isn't what you meant by "plugs," then ignore what I've said.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Okay guys, thanks for the advice. I will digest all this and choose a panel to help my batteries from going completely dead. I've learned it can harm the batteries when they are neglected so the panel will help keep them charged, probably save some money too. This forum is awesome....go guys rock!

Comment

I bought the Acopower 100 watt suitcase and they sent me the Furrion plug to connect to the solar port. Have owned mine for 3 years it is well built and charges up my 2 12 volt lead acid batteries. I don’t have an inverter just running some lights and the water pump, powers water heater and fridge on gas. It’s like luxury tent camping at this point have not pulled the trigger on a full solar setup mainly because it’s expensive and can’t justify the cost. We are heading out west next year for first time so perhaps will see if more off grid opportunities exist compared to the east coast and Midwest. Our boondocking is mostly Harvest Host locations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vivian
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by OG1 View Post
                      ... so what do any of you advise?
                      I used this small 15w Battery Tender solar charger for my first two 5th wheels and it actually worked great with two lead acid batteries. It has a built in controller. I mounted it to plywood and tilted it so it was angled more towards the sun. We stored our RV's where we get quite a bit of sun and our batteries were always fully charged while in storage. At 15w, this is just a trickle charger to keep the batteries topped off. It would take a loooooooong time to charge batteries that were already low.

Brian & Kellie
                      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                        I bought the Acopower 100 watt suitcase and they sent me the Furrion plug to connect to the solar port. Have owned mine for 3 years it is well built and charges up my 2 12 volt lead acid batteries. I don’t have an inverter just running some lights and the water pump, powers water heater and fridge on gas. It’s like luxury tent camping at this point have not pulled the trigger on a full solar setup mainly because it’s expensive and can’t justify the cost. We are heading out west next year for first time so perhaps will see if more off grid opportunities exist compared to the east coast and Midwest. Our boondocking is mostly Harvest Host locations.

vivian
                        Hello Everyone! I have a very basic question on solar panels. I have a 2020 XPLOR 260RB. I have the Acopower panel and Furrion plug described in this post. The only difference is that I have the 10 amp Lithium controller since I have a 200AH Battle Born battery bank. I only charge the batteries with the panel. I have no issues using the panels if I connect them directly to the battery posts. I am having an issue using the Furrion solar port on my camper - when I plug the controller into the Furrion port the controller tells me that it is not connected to the batteries. I thought there may have been an issue with the Acopower Furrion cable, but a replacement did not solve the issue. Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganXPLOR View Post

Hello Everyone! I have a very basic question on solar panels. I have a 2020 XPLOR 260RB. I have the Acopower panel and Furrion plug described in this post. The only difference is that I have the 10 amp Lithium controller since I have a 200AH Battle Born battery bank. I only charge the batteries with the panel. I have no issues using the panels if I connect them directly to the battery posts. I am having an issue using the Furrion solar port on my camper - when I plug the controller into the Furrion port the controller tells me that it is not connected to the batteries. I thought there may have been an issue with the Acopower Furrion cable, but a replacement did not solve the issue. Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?

Thanks!
                          A lot of times we have found that the wires from the Furrion plug are NOT connected to the battery , they are just coiled inside the corner of the RV where the plug is. There is also a in line fuse on the positive wire , red hopefully , that you need to make sure the proper fuse size is installed , 10 or 15 amps I believe. Having a TT the wires may be down on the frame of the trailer where the cable goes into a silver box that connects to the tow vehicle.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the insight! My camper is in storage at the moment so I don't have access to check things out. But from memory, there does not appear to be any loose wires in the pass through storage, unless they might be in the utility bank? And assuming I can find the wires, where does the connection need to occur? Do the wires just need to be attached together via connectors that are already factory installed on the wires or would they be connected in the silver box you mention underneath on the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganXPLOR View Post
                              Is there a wire connection that I need to do in my camper to connect the Furrion solar port on the side of the camper to the batteries?
                              Noted this was your first post, so when you get a chance please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter? Also, can you take a picture of the Furrion port and post it?
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X