Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jh0034
    replied
    I have a question- just picked up a 2016 348m with the solar prep port on the front side. Is there a Solar system/ panel that is truly plug and play? Only looking to run lights, plugs, etc for now.

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    I responded on my phone last night, so my answer was pretty short. Here's a little more information.

You can hook up well over 1000 watts of solar to your batteries as long as you're running the connection through a solar controller. The Go Power unit you are referencing has it's own solar controller. It will work wonderfully.

One caution though. If you ever try to run a solar panel into the solar connection port on the side of the trailer, you should try to stay at 120 watts or smaller. The reason for this is the size of the wiring and fuse that are installed from the port to the batteries. They just aren't large enough to handle any more power. As long as you're running the output of the solar controller on your Go Power device directly to the battery terminals with the provided wire from Go Power, you'll be fine.

Jim

P.S. When you get a chance, check out the letter in the link below. We tried to put together some tips and tricks for navigating the forum.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by OG1 View Post
    Grand Design 2019 Reflection 29RS, two 12V lead acid batteries. I'm researching portable solar panels. Neighbor RV owner at storage park said I should not go over 100W because anything more would damage the battery cells (he has a 90W solar panel). But gpelectric.com rep said I should select a 130W panel, and maybe the salesman just wanted to promote a more expensive product. This is the one I was considering: https://gpelectric.com/products/130-...ble-solar-kit/
    I am a novice to anything electric and trying to avoid the expense of a roof mount, so what do any of you advise?
    Thanks in advance...
    I have a GoPower roof mount system (I think it is 170 watt) and it works very well. Product is well made

Leave a comment:

• Second Chance
    replied
    TucsonJim is correct - that would be a great setup for you. Perhaps your storage facility neighbor doesn't have a good controller on his. The controller is designed to match the charge rate to the batteries' needs. One thing to keep in mind with a portable setup - especially in a storage facility - is security and the risk of theft. These things tend to grow legs...

Rob

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    Welcome to the forum. That 130 watt panel with a 10 amp controller will work just fine for your set up. How will you connect it to the batteries?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• OG1
    started a topic Portable Solar Panel

Portable Solar Panel

Grand Design 2019 Reflection 29RS, two 12V lead acid batteries. I'm researching portable solar panels. Neighbor RV owner at storage park said I should not go over 100W because anything more would damage the battery cells (he has a 90W solar panel). But gpelectric.com rep said I should select a 130W panel, and maybe the salesman just wanted to promote a more expensive product. This is the one I was considering: https://gpelectric.com/products/130-...ble-solar-kit/
    I am a novice to anything electric and trying to avoid the expense of a roof mount, so what do any of you advise?
    Thanks in advance...
Working...
X