Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is solar option on Solitudes and Momentums available yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered the Solar Package for my new 310GK-R and I'd like to have more than the single 300 watt panel included in the solar package. Does anybody know if a 2nd or 3rd panel can be added as a factory option? If not, is it easy to add additional panels myself or will I need to replace the wiring and/or charge controller? Sorry, I'm totally new to solar.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
      I ordered the Solar Package for my new 310GK-R and I'd like to have more than the single 300 watt panel included in the solar package. Does anybody know if a 2nd or 3rd panel can be added as a factory option? If not, is it easy to add additional panels myself or will I need to replace the wiring and/or charge controller? Sorry, I'm totally new to solar.
      There's ONE panel rated at 300 watts? Paging TucsonJim...
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        There's ONE panel rated at 300 watts? Paging TucsonJim...
        It appears so...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 6.01.51 PM.png
Views:	324
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	9271

Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

It appears so...
          Wow. A 300W single panel. Still so much to learn about this stuff...

Found this after a search using the info from GD's data: https://www.renogy.com/300-watt-24-v...e-solar-panel/

If the GD-supplied panel is a mono panel that's good stuff at a (relatively) high wattage capability for a single panel. (From the little that I've learned so far. Mono is superior to poly, right?)

From https://www.energysage.com/solar/101...-solar-panels/

Monocrystalline solar panels

Monocrystalline solar panels are generally thought of as a premium solar product. The main advantages of moncrystalline panels are higher efficiencies and sleeker aesthetics.

To make solar cells for monocrystalline solar panels, silicon is formed into bars and cut into wafers. These types of panels are called “monocrystalline” to indicate that the silicon used is single-crystal silicon. Because the cell is composed of a single crystal, the electrons that generate a flow of electricity have more room to move. As a result, monocrystalline panels are more efficient than their polycrystalline counterparts.

Polycrystalline solar panels

Polycrystalline solar panels generally have lower efficiencies than monocrystalline options, but their advantage is a lower price point. In addition, polycrystalline solar panels tend to have a blue hue instead of the black hue of monocrystalline panels.

Polycrystalline solar panels are also made from silicon. However, instead of using a single crystal of silicon, manufacturers melt many fragments of silicon together to form the wafers for the panel. Polycrystalline solar panels are also referred to as “multi-crystalline,” or many-crystal silicon. Because there are many crystals in each cell, there is to less freedom for the electrons to move. As a result, polycrystalline solar panels have lower efficiency ratings than monocrystalline panels.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

OK... a follow-up question. (I'll tag TucsonJim here to get him involved.) My initial plan - and what I told my dealer - was to install two lead-acid batteries in the Solitude when it arrives. After doing a BUNCH of reading, I'm not so sure about that now. From what I can gather, despite claiming 88 amp hours for a group 27 wet cell battery, they're really only good for about 50 Ah - and with voltage tapering at that. The lead-acid battery is also only good for 300 - 500 charges. That's about 25 cents per charge cycle at average prices for that battery. A single Battle Born 100 Ah battery works out to between 19 and 32 cents per charge cycle depending on whether it ends up on the 3,000 or 5,000 end of the Battle Born charge cycle claims. The BB battery yields 100 amps continuous current and is only 60% the weight of the flooded battery. Keeping in mind that we don't boondock and that our solar will be to run the residential frig and a CPAP during an emergency, to which side of the fence would you push me and why?

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

It's funny you mentioned this Rob. I'm actually planning on doing the same thing - a single Battleborn rather than the two lead acid batteries my dealer planned to install. I suspect I'll add another one later but one should work fine while running my residential fridge while traveling. My justification is more around the hassles of dealing with LA batteries. I'll need to see which convertor/charger my unit ships with to see if it's compatible with the BB battery. If not, I'll replace it.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                OK... a follow-up question. (I'll tag TucsonJim here to get him involved.) My initial plan - and what I told my dealer - was to install two lead-acid batteries in the Solitude when it arrives. After doing a BUNCH of reading, I'm not so sure about that now. From what I can gather, despite claiming 88 amp hours for a group 27 wet cell battery, they're really only good for about 50 Ah - and with voltage tapering at that. The lead-acid battery is also only good for 300 - 500 charges. That's about 25 cents per charge cycle at average prices for that battery. A single Battle Born 100 Ah battery works out to between 19 and 32 cents per charge cycle depending on whether it ends up on the 3,000 or 5,000 end of the Battle Born charge cycle claims. The BB battery yields 100 amps continuous current and is only 60% the weight of the flooded battery. Keeping in mind that we don't boondock and that our solar will be to run the residential frig and a CPAP during an emergency, to which side of the fence would you push me and why?

Rob
                Battle Born--no question in my mind.

One scenario not listed is when you inadvertently run down your batteries to 0. Do that to a lead-acid and there's probably going to be issues. Do that with a BB and it will turn itself off before there's any damage. (Ask me how I know...)

Couple the BB with a BMV-712 and don't look back. Worth every penny IMHO. ( TucsonJim is responsible for my checkbook's low balance with regards to BBs and Cate&Rob is the guilty party for the BMV. In both cases their advice was spot on! I don't regret the purchases.)

Comment

It's funny you mentioned this Rob. I'm actually planning on doing the same thing - a single Battleborn rather than the two lead acid batteries my dealer planned to install. I suspect I'll add another one later but one should work fine while running my residential fridge while traveling. My justification is more around the hassles of dealing with LA batteries. I'll need to see which convertor/charger my unit ships with to see if it's compatible with the BB battery. If not, I'll replace it.
                  GD is using the Jaboni 30A-MPPT-RVC charge controller. It has settings for every type of battery (including lithium ion).

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

The manual for the Jaboni Rob mentioned is here: https://jabonipowerproducts.com/wp-c...al_5.23.19.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

GD is using the Jaboni 30A-MPPT-RVC charge controller. It has settings for every type of battery (including lithium ion).

Rob
                      Thanks Rob. That makes it easy!
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                      X