Can I Run Two Solar Systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Run Two Solar Systems?

Needing help, I have a question, my camper came with a ZAMP-30 Solar Controller, with a 160 Watt Solar Panel, I now have upgraded to three 100AH Battle Born Batteries,
    I will be putting on four 200 Watt Solar Panels, running them to a separate Victron 100/50 Solar Controller.
    Can I leave the original panel and controller hooked up, and run both systems, the ZAMP and the Victron to the batteries at the same time?

Originally posted by ljheptig View Post
    Needing help, I have a question, my camper came with a ZAMP-30 Solar Controller, with a 160 Watt Solar Panel, I now have upgraded to three 100AH Battle Born Batteries,
    I will be putting on four 200 Watt Solar Panels, running them to a separate Victron 100/50 Solar Controller.
    Can I leave the original panel and controller hooked up, and run both systems, the ZAMP and the Victron to the batteries at the same time?
    You should be fine with that set up. What model RV do you have? Zamp is not a stock item, is the RV used?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I bought the camper used the original owner had the system installed

Comment

ljheptig -- moved your question (and subsequent responses) here.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, that will work (assuming it will be wired correctly). Make sure the 100/50 MPPT charge controller is sufficient for the 800W of solar you will be adding. I'm not concerned with the voltage, but with the amperage.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

If you can provide all the panel specifications, I can verify that the MPPT controller is sized correctly. My initial thought is that you'd need a 150/60 controller for that set up.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Should be no problem running both systems, I am not familiar with the Zamp, but if its charging specs are adjustable it would be best if you could set it and the Victron (as well as your converter for that matter) to charge at the same voltage.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

While we are talking about modifying solar systems, as i consider pulling the original lead acid battery in my 28BH and replacing with a lithium, i was wonder is it really necessary to switching out the converter so it tops off the new battery? While the stock converter will not get it to the max volts it needs, assuming we have the sun, will not the solar get it the rest of the way? BTW I dumped the Furrion 100/50 and did the Victron 100/30. Really happy with it. Just being able to monitor whats happening with the solar and batteries is great.
                Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
                RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
                PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
                  While we are talking about modifying solar systems, as i consider pulling the original lead acid battery in my 28BH and replacing with a lithium, i was wonder is it really necessary to switching out the converter so it tops off the new battery? While the stock converter will not get it to the max volts it needs, assuming we have the sun, will not the solar get it the rest of the way? BTW I dumped the Furrion 100/50 and did the Victron 100/30. Really happy with it. Just being able to monitor whats happening with the solar and batteries is great.
                  You do not need to and it will not hurt anything. Assuming you get sun then the Victron should get you the rest of the way. Assuming you have some kind of shunt battery monitor, keep an eye on your SOC and you can always swap the converter later if it's an issue.

Another benefit is with lithium you can usually use a larger capacity converter (check your battery spec and wire size) to charge them faster when on a generator.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Neil, that was my belief but wanted to check. Anything i dont need to buy now, all the better.
                    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
                    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
                    PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Agree with the other comments. I see no problem with running 2 separate solar controllers - and in fact - I would recommend connecting/networking them if both victron. Per other comments of course you need to size everything appropriately and I would recommend breakers for each charge controller AND each solar set between the charge controller and the panels.

Let us know if you have other questions or need more info!
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH
                      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Be mindful of how you wire the 4 panels. You do NOT want to be over 100v with that controller. I would consider 2S 2P and you will be fine.
                        2018 337RLS
                        720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                        disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                        X