Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion charge controller keeps changing from Lithium to Sealed by itself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion charge controller keeps changing from Lithium to Sealed by itself.

I have 2 100 ah lithium batteries with the Furrion 25 amp charge controller. For some reason my charge controller keeps changing from Lithium charge profile to Sealed charge profile by itself. Any ideas on why this is doing this? Thanks.

There is a thread running on this very subject here Solar Charge Controller switching from lithium to sealed - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

I do not think there has been a resolution yet.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by tomhuntley View Post
      I have 2 100 ah lithium batteries with the Furrion 25 amp charge controller. For some reason my charge controller keeps changing from Lithium charge profile to Sealed charge profile by itself. Any ideas on why this is doing this? Thanks.
      Interesting--same symptom experienced by GDBobF in this recent thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aled#post96304

No resolution (yet). So, the same response/questions to you:

The Furrion is manually set to Lithium by depressing the Battery Selection button for two seconds and cycling through the options until the green Lithium LED is lit, so there's no "Auto" mode (battery detection).

Is the change to SEALED (on the Furrion) random or at a predictable interval?

What I'm thinking is that somehow the Furrion is losing power for a moment, then powering back up (and after a complete power loss resetting to the default--which I think is SEALED).

What model and year GD? What converter is in the trailer?

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter here: Edithttps://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Edit-- you beat me to it, Brian ( Country Campers )!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Good Morning all. Sorry for the delayed response, we had intermittent internet at the campsite we were at for the last few days.

The problem has evolved and includes the following: The controller showed a red light (fault) at one point, but then resolved itself. I have switched from sealed to lithium setting several times, but it will always (after awhile) switch back to sealed. This has persisted through being attached to 50A shore power, towing, and while not attached to shore power (battery power only). I just tried the following suggestion posted in another forum: Detached the solar, then battery. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then re-attached the battery and set the controller to lithium. Then re-attached the solar connection. It's been about 20-30 minutes and it is still showing a lithium setting (although it does not switch at a predictable interval). I'll give it a few hours or through the rest of the day and report back on how it's doing. I tried to upload a pic of the wiring for review, but the site doesn't like my photos (I'll work on it and upload as able). The electric connections look ok to me (although I am not an expert and only "dad handy"). I switched the converter to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger - 60 Amp at the time I upgraded the battery.

​ As suggested elsewhere, I might just cut to the chase and buy a Victron charge controller if this doesn't resolve the issue. I appreciate everyone's time and expertise!
        2022 31MB

Comment

After reading the manual in detail and seeing multiple reports of the same issue, I believe the switching is a defect with the controller and not a user error or problem with the RV's electrical system. I'm wondering if any owners would like to try contacting Lippert (Furrion's parent company) to try to get a warranty replacement? Their number is 574-537-8900. In the mean time, I'll report this issue to GDRV management for their feedback.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

GDBobF Looking at the Progressive website, the 9160ALV should be a dedicated Lithium charger. Are you certain it's changing to sealed battery mode and not to idle mode?

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...ge-lithium.pdf
            https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100-converter-2/
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

After disconnecting then reconnecting the solar/battery this morning, it seems to be holding in the lithium setting (solid - fully charged - green charge light and solid green light at the lithium setting). The issue I've had is when it changes to the yellow light next to the "sealed" setting. As far as what I've read it should not illuminate the yellow light next to the sealed setting to indicate idle, but I'm open to insight/info. I will monitor until tomorrow morning, and if it holds in the lithium setting I'll consider the disconnect/re-connect of the solar/battery to have been the solution. I'll provide update(s) with how it goes.
              2022 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                GDBobF Looking at the Progressive website, the 9160ALV should be a dedicated Lithium charger. Are you certain it's changing to sealed battery mode and not to idle mode?

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...ge-lithium.pdf
                https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100-converter-2/
                The issue is with the Furrion solar charge controller and not with the PD converter/charger.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Everything seems to be connected correctly. The wires are feeding from the controller to the appropriate places leading to the proper terminals on the battery. It will be a non-issue soon, as I’ve ordered a new Victron controller. I suspect it is money I’d be spending sooner or later, so consider it an investment in frustration/aggravation management 👍🏻 BTW: I switched it back to lithium this morning as the controller (again) has power. I suspect it will good at least until tonight 🤦🏼‍♂️
                  Attached Files
                  2022 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by GDBobF View Post
                    Everything seems to be connected correctly. The wires are feeding from the controller to the appropriate places leading to the proper terminals on the battery. It will be a non-issue soon, as I’ve ordered a new Victron controller. I suspect it is money I’d be spending sooner or later, so consider it an investment in frustration/aggravation management 👍🏻 BTW: I switched it back to lithium this morning as the controller (again) has power. I suspect it will good at least until tonight 🤦🏼‍♂️
                    If your trailer doesn't have a PV cutoff switch (between the panels and PV input on the controller) OR a circuit breaker between the battery and battery input on the controller, consider adding those components while upgrading the controller. Read the online Victron manual for your new controller and you'll see there is a specific power sequence to turn the unit on (or off). Much, much easier with disconnects.

There's no simple "one size fits all" solution to the next obvious question, "Which disconnect is recommended?" Depends on your system. If interested, what controller did you buy, what is the total wattage of the solar panels and how are they wired (parallel, series, etc). What's most important is the maximum voltage (VMax) the panels will output.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a fix there a Furoin Charge controller not staying on Lithium and reverting to Lead Acid? Mine seems to have this issue even when plugged in it will revert to Lead Acid.

I have a Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_181554.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	121403 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_181547.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	121404
                      2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Ccreed -- as documented in this thread ( post 5 ) the most likely cause is the controller itself. Jim (who wrote post 5) provided Lippert's phone number, too. The only "fix" (I think) is to replace the unit--but Lippert will know for sure.

Please come back and document what they tell you (if you decide to give them a call).

Howard

Comment

Ccreed

Your picture is of the converter/charger which is a Progressive Dynamics model. The solar charge controller, which I assume you are questioning, is Furrion. These have been know to cause the issue you are describing. Please confirm if this is correct.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            Ccreed

Your picture is of the converter/charger which is a Progressive Dynamics model. The solar charge controller, which I assume you are questioning, is Furrion. These have been know to cause the issue you are describing. Please confirm if this is correct.

Brian
                            I can confirm that it is the Furoin 50 AMP MPPT I have done some additional testing and can verify the unit has a loss of power when the solar panel is covered. and looking at the wiring on it that makes sense. I would assume the unit needs to keep minimal power even when there is no sun to keep the unit from factory resetting. Can some one correct me if this assumption is not correct?

Contacted Lippert and went through more steps with them.
                            "

Thank you for contacting Lippert Customer Care Center. It was a pleasure speaking with you.

Case #, has been created in response to your call. This number will be used in all communications regarding your case; please reference this number in the event you need to call us. If you prefer to email us, simply reply to this email.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ccreed; 10-09-2023, 10:01 AM.
                            2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

If I recall there have been a few threads where owners have found that setting the Furrion solar controller to lithium only to find that overnight when solar power is lost the controller will revert back to led acid battery settings. Your findings are correct. I recommend you contact Lippert with thus issue, they have helped owners in the past with this problem with a replacement controller.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X