Snow removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

The back half of the truck side is 2 story inside so anything longer than 25 feet will not fit,
    A likely story...lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Scott,

I have done this by pulling the snow with a T shaped broom (a push broom) from a 12’ step ladder.
      Rob
      This is what I'm thinking. I have a snow rake, but the angle on it makes it bite down into the snow and I'm afraid it may dig too hard at the tpo. Unfortunately, there is a hard crust at the top that needs to be broken/chopped in order to pull away the 'sugar snow' underneath.
      Sat, Sun,Mon are supposed to be nice and warm at -4* so I'll tackle the job on the weekend. If there are no posts from me by tuesday, I fell off the ladder...☹

Comment

The roof rake in the picture I posted has wheels on it. They should keep the rake from digging into the roof material.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

We live in Denver and camp through early Fall. Got caught in Gunnison, CO with an unexpected snow of about 10" overnight. Found that with sliders open, my brush 9" in width worked best on a heavy duty extender pole. Couldn't really push it across, so pulled the snow towards me (dress appropriately!) Roof was most difficult in that I could only sweep 1/3 on either side but with the sliders snow removed, was able to retract for travel. The tough, and dangerous part was getting up the 8' ladder tall enough to operate the brush, but not tip over. We were in a campground so it was a joint effort with fellow campers digging everyone out. But to this forum question on what to use to remove snow- a narrow brush, stiff bristles, worked well. We found the wider "street sweeper" style brushes couldn't handle the weight of the heavier snow. For what it's worth...

Mike
          Ram 3500, 2022 Reflection 337 RLS
          Mike & Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel
          Denver, CO

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy
            Scott - 6" is nothing - just drive. Most will just blow off in travel. Snow weighs about 20 pounds per cubic foot, or 1.25 pounds per inch of depth. Depending on moisture content​. Add 5.2 lbs for each 1-inch of ice depth if it has been sitting for a while as in my case. So in this case there is about 30 lbs per SF up there. I put more weight per SF if I am up on the roof - well over 200Lbs. Underneath the springs are Ok too with the estimated 4500lb total load - trailer is empty.

When the snow stops I think I will start shoveling later today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	103654
            In the past this has not been an issue, but with more snow coming I do plan to use a roof shovel I have to carefully remove down to a few inches. My house roof is fine and the snow slides off eventually. BTW the retrax cover on the truck is totally fine, but will shovel that off too.

Keith

PS - No way I am climbing up there
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I'm with ya! However, swmbo would never think of a Christmas without snow. I'm good with palm trees..lol

Whereabouts in SW Ontario? My cousin lives in Innerkip. Another in London. Another in Don Mills. One in Ancaster. More family in Haliburton. We're the northern wing of the group.
              Have a safe trip. We are in Sarnia... look us up if you ever cross the border here.

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Yoda Keith, all of that snow is up there to insulate the camper and save on propane use.

Finally someone saving you money instead of spending it.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Yoda Keith, all of that snow is up there to insulate the camper and save on propane use.

Finally someone saving you money instead of spending it.
                  LOL I dug the truck out and I am now in the process of using a roof shovel to clear what I can - Do you want to come help? I have an extra ladder

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I've used the soft wash brush and an extension pole to remove snow from the rig and from a good quality ladder. Also pulled snow off the truck this way since I let the DW park inside. Warm water would work as well.

Jim

Comment

Yoda Keith, you bring it right on over and I'll clear every bit of snow off for you. BTW it was cold here today, the high was only 60F.

And in case you are wondering, it's probably 18+ hrs of driving one way without a camper. My guess is the snow will melt before you get here.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        We are planning on leaving the trailer in Kansas or similar for next year. Leaving before the cold here means October/November...
                        This is exactly what we do. We live in Minneapolis and like to spend a month or so in Florida. Last year we stored our trailer in the Indianapolis area and this year in St Louis. We bring it down for storage in early November and then pick it up in February on our way to Florida. Sure beats towing on winter roads and keeps salt etc. from attacking the underside.

2019 2930RL S Class
                        2021 RAM 3500 CC SRW SB Cummins HO

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Yoda Keith, you bring it right on over and I'll clear every bit of snow off for you. BTW it was cold here today, the high was only 60F.

And in case you are wondering, it's probably 18+ hrs of driving one way without a camper. My guess is the snow will melt before you get here.
                          If I may ask where south of Edit ( Huston) are you? I may just take you up on the offer. I guarantee it wont melt by the time I get there. Will be fun watching you up there mining the ice

Years ago on my old trailer I had about the same amount of snow on my old rig. It made it to Mississippi for Christmas and it still lasted a few days. A lot of folks asked what it was on the drive down. Made for a heavy tow. Even the truck drivers laughed (back when they still used CB's). I'll be on the ladder tomorrow (on my birthday no less) shoveling it off. Got more snow coming Monday. I am getting too old for this.

I was thinking of firing up the electric pressure washer and blowing it off, but the temps will still be below freezing so it could make for a bigger mess. Your probably correct on the 18 hours, but I can do that towing.

To Mississippi from Durango, Childress TX is the first night and Pinola Mississippi we make by 6 or 8 the second, depending on traffic. However this trip I was feeling it a lot more, so I am thinking of 3 days ( well 2 and 1/3 next time)

Ge the coffee going and I will be down shortly.

Keith
                          Last edited by Yoda; 01-21-2023, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I have used a broom and extendable brush I use for the truck. I did not have a problem standing on the roof. Interestingly I haven't had to clean snow when leaving Michigan after Christmas, but when we have been in Arizona in January.
                            Dave
                            2016 Reflection 27RL
                            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

A little off topic, but,......HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEITH!! May the force be with you!

Hmmmm. The force could take care of that snow....... If you could just focus your midichloreans.

Comment

Yoda Happy Birthday (mine is Sunday). I'm literally due south of Houston. About 25 miles south of Pearland.

If you leave now, the rain will wash the snow off for you. We had snow back in 2017 (I think) that stuck in the neighborhood of 6". Took less than 1 day for it to melt off when temps got up into the 40's the next day.

Ice is a different story, that's where rain helps.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X