Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling Through An Exterior Wall - What Type of Bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rob. It's certainly worth a try.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have several. Dia ranging from 1/2" to 1 3/4". No pilot hole required. They start out drilling a1/8" hole then "step it up" a 1/16 or 1/8" at a time. Depending on the bit. But...... they are not cheap
      https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...YaAkDZEALw_wcB

The ones I have are greenlee. I see HF has some
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I'm going to drill a one inch hole through an exterior wall to install a data port. What would be the best bit to use? A hole saw? A spade bit? Other?

Thanks,

Jim
        If you're just drilling through the wood and fiberglass and want the cleanest hole----use a Forstner Bit. They make the cleanest holes and I use them allot for furniture and carpentry. You can get a set of them or the specific size you need. The good ones are super sharp and they cut like butter. No rocking or jagged edges on either side of the hole like a hole saw can leave. No need for a pilot hole either---they will not walk. I would definitely not use a spade bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Forstner Bit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	107660
        40-year Camping Enthusiast
        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

TucsonJim

From my dryer install notes. This post is not to counter any of the other suggestions or methods, just what worked for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dryer note.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	107663
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

COReflection I would not recommend a Forstner bit for this. With the foam in the middle, without the center pilot but to puncture the wood on the other side I don't think there'd be anything to keep the but straight when going through the middle layer. It might work but I would not trust it. I use them in woodworking as well and love them, just not sure about the foam.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Agreed that a Forstner bit is great for wood . . . But I also do not think it will work very well for the styrofoam core of the wall.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Agreed that a Forstner bit is great for wood . . . But I also do not think it will work very well for the styrofoam core of the wall.

Rob
                Good points but I am still wondering...since the foam is quite stiff and dense if it would work going slowly to mark and scribe it. I'm seeing others using those bits also drilling through 2" foam insulation in walls and recommending them but I get what you are saying. If we could only test our theories.....on a piece of sample trailer wall....Lol
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post
                  .....on a piece of sample trailer wall....Lol
                  That would be handy

2021 303RLS

Comment

howson
                    Looks good Howard
                    2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Jlawles2

Agreed that rocking or rotating the drill as you describe is important, particularly with larger diameter hole saws. I have had good luck running the saw backwards to prevent surface chipping with Formica and fibreglass (boat hulls). Once through the surface, the saw can be switched to forward for faster cooler cutting of the core material.

Rob
                      Rob - seems as I recall you also suggested (and you did) covering the area to be drilled using some sort of tape to help prevent any chipping and that worked well for you on your counter top. Not certain if this chipping of the exterior gel or interior luan is a concern for you Jim TucsonJim or if this will even be effective.

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Good points but I am still wondering...since the foam is quite stiff and dense if it would work going slowly to mark and scribe it. I'm seeing others using those bits also drilling through 2" foam insulation in walls and recommending them but I get what you are saying. If we could only test our theories.....on a piece of sample trailer wall....Lol
                        Unfortunately the walls are not rigid foam insulation like you see in home construction. Think more the white foam they make cheap coolers out of. I think if you hit it with that bit it would just tear and shred it.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Jim TucsonJim - another consideration would be to contact Steve huntr70 for any feedback if interested and Steve does not check in. I suspect the dealership has drilled many holes into RV walls for certainly dryer vent installations but I suspect other reasons as well.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Lots of good ideas in this thread, but as far as preventing splintering on the outside surface I'm thinking the Forstner bit is least likely to create a problem. What about a very small pilot hole all the way from the outside to the inside. Use the Forstner bit to cut the hole in the outside wall, and even in the inside wall (though other bits could be used here if needed), and then drill through the foam with a hole saw, or just clean out the foam with any cutting tool.
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                            X