Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling Through An Exterior Wall - What Type of Bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling Through An Exterior Wall - What Type of Bit?

I'm going to drill a one inch hole through an exterior wall to install a data port. What would be the best bit to use? A hole saw? A spade bit? Other?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

A hole saw would be the best. while drilling, rotate in a counterclockwise direction so that the teeth are cutting downhill and it will prevent the saw from binding and trying to break your wrist.

Also I suggest you stop when the pilot penetrates the opposing side of the wall and move to the other side. This will make the exit hole much cleaner.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I'm going to drill a one inch hole through an exterior wall to install a data port. What would be the best bit to use? A hole saw? A spade bit? Other?

Thanks,

Jim
      I would personally use a nice sharp hole saw, given how thin and soft the walls are it should give a nice clean hole with minimal blowout on the other side. Spade or augur bit could give you some blowout imo.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Jim
          Excellent advice, but I would do a small pilot hole (thinner then the hole saw pilot) fully through, then hole saw from both sides. I would also use a metal hole saw for the thinner and finer cutting blade. Last be sure you don't hit any reinforcement (aluminum tubing) in the wall.

And of course you know this seal the fresh cut laminate edges to prevent any de-bonding due to water down the road.

And for grins post a video so we can all cringe when you do this

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I’ve had good luck with covering the area I’m drilling through with blue painters tape before drilling to minimize chipping/scratching the finish of the surface drilling through.
            Eddie & Kathy
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
            Houston, TX

Comment

I would use a stepped uni-bit.. awesome on fibreglass, probably just as good on filon.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Hi Jim,

A combination of Jlawles2 Joseph and Yoda Keith ideas . . . Drill a small pilot hole all the way through first. Then use a hole saw running backwards from both outside and inside.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi Jim,

A combination of Jlawles2 Joseph and Yoda Keith ideas . . . Drill a small pilot hole all the way through first. Then use a hole saw running backwards from both outside and inside.

Rob
                  Was not saying to run it backwards. Saw is running clockwise as it should. Make small circular counter clockwise motion with the back of the drill so that the cutting edge is always down into the hole not up against the edge. This keeps the sharp point on the leading edge from grabbing the teeth causing tearout in the paneling and uncontrolled rotation of the drill.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2

Agreed that rocking or rotating the drill as you describe is important, particularly with larger diameter hole saws. I have had good luck running the saw backwards to prevent surface chipping with Formica and fibreglass (boat hulls). Once through the surface, the saw can be switched to forward for faster cooler cutting of the core material.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm going to have to risk drilling all the way through from the outside. The area where I want the hole on the interior is inside a cabinet. I'd have to completely disassemble the cabinet to get access, or purchase an angle drill. I think if I follow the tips above about the pilot hole, etc, I should be fine. If I go very slow and allow the drill to cut, I don't think it will blow out the wall. Here's the area where the hole will go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	107629
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I'm going to have to risk drilling all the way through from the outside. The area where I want the hole on the interior is inside a cabinet.
                        With the couch removed, the side of that cabinet is just stapled, Jim. Not hard to disassemble.

For those looking for critter entry access spots (or exterior hot air entry) that have the same setup with side tables next to the couch at the rear of the coach, the wires you can see at the rear of the cabinet go through a relatively huge hole GD cut in the floor. Another area I sealed up (both sides).

Name:	Cabinet.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	107631
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With a uni-bit, no rocking, no running backwards, just drill it and it will give you a nice clean edged hole.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

howson - That's awesome. I'll have to see if mine are built the same way after all my cabinets were replaced with real wood a few years ago. Jerry still dislikes me for the cost of that one... ;-)

Scott'n'Wendy - How would I proceed with a Uni-bit for a 1" hole. I've never used one of those before.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Hi Jim,

If I had to drill from one side, I might try Scott'n'Wendy Scott’s idea of the step drill bit. You will need one with a max diameter of the size of the hole. You will probably need an extension driver to get the max diameter through the inner wall. I have only used these step bits through sheet metal . . . where they work well. As the bit goes through each step you can get an idea of how it is coming through the inside wall . . . before you get to the final diameter.

Rob

Name:	83130C9A-E3B6-4BC0-9799-5BAE251B0279.png
Views:	362
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	107641
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X