Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awning bowing from trailer - will not close properly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning bowing from trailer - will not close properly.

I have the following awning;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141s.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	3133
    The frame against the trailer is bowed out 1/4" plus on both ends.

Name:	IMG_0130s.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3134

Name:	IMG_0133s.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3135
    The bowing is preventing the top from closing properly

Name:	IMG_0138s.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	3136
    The bowing is occurring where there is a relief half hole in the base frame. There are no fasteners in this location as there are further down the frame. Is there a internal wall support directly behind this frame that the screws are going into and does this internal support run vertically so that additional screws might be placed near the cut out point.

Name:	IMG_0136s.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	3137
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I have had this issue looked at before by the dealer before it got worse this last trip to the Palisade CO rally. They said no issue the first time. I would rather not take it back to them and wait months to get it back No big winds and awning has been used maybe 6 times. Would additional screws or lags work at the bow? Can you send me the needed parts? I am assuming there is a vertical wall member behind these existing fasteners. The top will not close in as the outer tube contacts the back tube at the bow point near the half circle cut out. If the back tube is again pulled flat against the trailer it would close properly.

I am attaching additional photos and the vin#

Name:	IMG_0135s.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	3139Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137s.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	3140Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146s.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	3141

Thanks for any help
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

GDRV-Emily -- not sure about this one. Please get a factory technician's recommendation for Yoda on how to remove the bow in his awning..
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I had this issue on a previous Raptor toy hauler. Going by your pictures I believe that I had the same style arms on my awning.

I had to loosen the set screws that hold the canvas in position on the top rail that is mounted along the top of the trailer. I then adjusted the position of the canvas to the left or right. The problem was the canvas got out of line (or square) with the roller at the bottom of the canvas. When retracting the canvas would start rolling up at a slight angle causing the whole awning (arms) to torque to the left or right. You should be able to see if the canvas is rolling off center on the bottom roller. Mine was off by a couple of inches by the time the roller got to the top in the fully retracted position.

It it took several tries of adjusting before I got it right. Once I did then the mechanism alined up properly and closed completely when fully retracted.

Please don’t ask me how the hell it was able to get out of alignment in the first place. Possibly the canvas itself shrinks with age or something. Sorry I don’t have the answer to that question. Hope the above helps. Good luck.
        2018 Momentum 376TH
        2016 RAM 3500 Duall
        y

Comment

Vonzong
          Thanks for the information. The fabric is tracking well and the arms are not warped to the side. It will not close properly as the inner track contacts the outer track at the bow preventing it from fully closing. The top and bottom are securely fastened with no sign of pulling out. The civil engineer in me thinks part of the issue is metal expansion. The channel has no where to go, so it bowed at the weakest part. The other attachment points are good including the point where the two screws are inside the channel and just above is the swing are connection.

Hopefully GD will have an answer

Emily - if you need more photos let me know
          Thanks Keith

Comment

Emily is pretty occupied with getting the national rally up and running. I'll try to find her and see if I can have her respond. There are also some factory technicians out here. I'll try to flag one of them down for their thoughts.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I did get a chance to talk to Emily this morning and we'll try to get a tech to weigh in on it. It's easy for me to describe the issue, because mine is exactly the same as yours....

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Thanks Jim Enjoy the gathering and thank the GD folks too. No super rush on this as I have no trips set for a while.
                Keith

BTW see if they know how the speaker wires get to the inside speakers from the underbelly. Customer service was working on that too. I traced them to behind the fridge in the slide, then under the slide and into the underbelly, but how they get to the ceiling is a mystery., unless they go up the slide out channel.

Comment

Following, we have the same problem on our 230rl. Would love to hear how to fix this. Wish we were able to get to the rally, our son would love to go, but school in Indiana starts 2nd week of August. If only they'd move it to the first week, we'd be there!

Comment

Yesterday I took my cheap zircon stud finder and tried using it, Gave some strange readings, but it appears there is cross structure just above the notch in the awning vertical frame, and their may be vertical structure under the frame. Is it possible for GD to share that information - where the aluminum frame runs on the sidewall or just dimensions on where it is? would need for both the front and back awning supports.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      Yesterday I took my cheap zircon stud finder and tried using it, Gave some strange readings, but it appears there is cross structure just above the notch in the awning vertical frame, and their may be vertical structure under the frame. Is it possible for GD to share that information - where the aluminum frame runs on the sidewall or just dimensions on where it is? would need for both the front and back awning supports.

Thanks
                      I'm sure you realize GD is closed due to the Labor Day Weekend. After all Emily did during the rally I hope she's NOT on her phone and enjoying time with family. I expect she'll be back on Tuesday and will get you an answer. (If we don't hear something I'll tag her again as a reminder. Don't let me forget!)
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

• Yoda
                        Yoda commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Howard
                        Yep I know they are closed and wont see this to later in the week. Just adding additional information on what I think I am finding. I still think this is a metal expansion issue that just needs to be secured mid point ( just above the notch in the base rail). I noticed it was a bit worse with the sun on it. My stud finder indicated a beam running under the bedroom window up front too. I probably need a better one (its only 14 years old) - foam and aluminum are confusing it. You know the engineer in me got out yesterday and today. I am multitasking - very dangerous especially involving ladders, my impeccable balance, and wiring.

On a funny note I get to unpack the basement that I so carefully packed. An then get my skinny body (NOT!!!) crammed in behind the wall to find the speaker wiring bundle. At least I think I now know its running down the bath/family room wall somewhere around the power panel. After pulling out 3 extra feet of wire at the speakers it's headed in that direction across the ceiling. Dang its hot out today - going to stop and drink some ice tea then maybe go pull weeds.

Thanks again for the help

So I have the exact situation you do. I was able to track down Brad Smith (service manager) at the rally to explain your concern and show him my awning. When he gets back Tuesday, he'll pull the side wall prints for our units and confirm there is metal backing. Then we'll collaborate on a repair method. Once I perform the fix, I'll make sure there are no detrimental after effects. Then I'll post the recommended repair method on your thread.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

• Yoda
                        Yoda commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sweet - fantastic - made my night
                        Thanks so much
                        Keith

Well one problem solved. Stereo now works.

Found crossed wires (original install). I dropped the belly where the slide wire bundle went inside the frame and found a rats nest of wiring. Interior wiring and slide wiring join just inside the frame in one common area in the belly. The wires to the left speaker had been reversed and one of the crimps was bad. Cut. wire nutted. and taped the correct wires together and everything worked. Should have been caught at the factory and I missed it at the PDI - so did dealer. All is well now, but what a chore getting to the connections. I can post pictures of the mess if folks want.

Comment

• Country Campers
                        Country Campers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pics are always welcome. Glad you did not get stuck under the belly (some are never heard from again)

Brian

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      Well one problem solved. Stereo now works.

Found crossed wires (original install). I dropped the belly where the slide wire bundle went inside the frame and found a rats nest of wiring. Interior wiring and slide wiring join just inside the frame in one common area in the belly. The wires to the left speaker had been reversed and one of the crimps was bad. Cut. wire nutted. and taped the correct wires together and everything worked. Should have been caught at the factory and I missed it at the PDI - so did dealer. All is well now, but what a chore getting to the connections. I can post pictures of the mess if folks want.
                      Yes, please do--but start a separate thread in the appropriate section as the stereo wires and awnings are separate topics. (Thanks!)

Howard & Francine

Comment

• Yoda
                        Yoda commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No Worries Howard
                        Hopefully GD will see it. Simple step to prevent it.
                        Big issue now is getting the black sealant off me. Evidently I was not as neat as I thought. Big smear on the arm and back of my head - I wont mention the hands . I know I should have worn gloves But !!.......acetone works, but I don't want to stink pretty and It will also mess up my baby completion.

Brian - Thanks for thinking of me
                        Last edited by Yoda; 09-01-2019, 10:56 PM.

TucsonJim did Brad get you the info you needed yet? If not, I can bump him!

Comment

Working...
                      X